The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

They are physically mature though.  Both have been men for a couple years now.  Wasn't Gadjovic's nick name, dad or something?  I think these kinds of guys are dominant at the junior levels because they are men among boys.  However, when those boys become men they pass by the early developing guys.  That's why I'd like to see these early bloomers get AHL minutes (and lots of them) in roles they would play up here.  If they can't make down there now, they aren't going to get much stronger, so why keep them?

You are dwelling to much on your specific point. There is a lot more to physical battle that yields TOI. The idea that you would cut a high 2 rdr after half a season of AHL hockey is kinda stunning don't you think? I don't disagree that big players in CHL hockey can develop bad habits that hurt them when they turn pro. That doesn't mean they cannot correct their game. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

You are dwelling to much on your specific point. There is a lot more to physical battle that yields TOI. The idea that you would cut a high 2 rdr after half a season of AHL hockey is kinda stunning don't you think? I don't disagree that big players in CHL hockey can develop bad habits that hurt them when they turn pro. That doesn't mean they cannot correct their game. 

I accept my concept is drastic, but I believe if we identify these guy's usefulness to our future early on, we can recoup a better draft pick by trading them sooner rather than later.  

Baby faced guys, like Lind and Dahlen, need more time to mature for sure. 

52 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Especially a dad who almost certainly has more actual knowledge of precisely how the team treats their young prospects than does anyone on this forum.

One of Gadjovichs uncles played a couple hundred games in the NHL and one is a director of amateur scouting for the Hurricanes.  Sounds like a knowledgeable hockey family.

By Ben Birnell

Tuesday

Posted Jan 8, 2019 at 7:53 PM Updated Jan 8, 2019 at 9:37 PM

It has been an interesting first half of the season for the Utica Comets.

There have been ups and downs for the American Hockey League team while navigating through a myriad of injuries – the team has lost nearly 200 man-games due to various ailments – as well as roster changes (Adam Gaudette was recalled Tuesday after three games) and uneven play.

There are positives for Utica, which reached the midpoint of its schedule last weekend in Cleveland.

General Manager Ryan Johnson said the team has “done a good job” managing the challenges, including the introduction of numerous rookies.

The team has hit a stride since a brief tumble to the bottom of the North Division standings. With help from a recent 13-6-1-0 stretch, Utica has climbed into third place in the North.

January 9, 2019

“I feel like as a group, regardless of what we’ve faced, we managed to stay competitive. We’ve managed to keep our group in things,” Johnson said Monday. “We’ve managed to develop (players).”

Is there a key to this recent turnaround? Is resilient the right word?

Johnson: That’s the word I use to our group all the time. ... When we have the opportunity to fold and have the excuse and we could move on ... we don’t let that creep into it. We use them as opportunities to find solutions and challenge ourselves individually and as a team. I think that is the makeup of the culture and the group we’ve tried to build. …

The Comets’ goaltending situation is in flux due to recent moves. Is there a plan to add another goaltender on an NHL deal?

Johnson: Obviously, we’re up against it a bit due to the situation on how everything worked out. It is certainly something being worked on.

Zack MacEwen has been doing well in his second season. Are you pleased with his production and the strides he’s made?

Johnson: I’m happy with the production. I’m even more happy with the way that he’s doing it. ... His puck management is excellent, which is allowing him to have more time where he is hard to hold off. ... I love the professionalism and the way his game is coming together. He’s a great example for our other young guys that are maybe just a year behind him to look at and go ‘OK, that’s what I need to do if I’m going to get to that next step of pushing to get an opportunity to go up and play,’ which is what Zack is doing. ...

How do you feel about the progress of prospects like Jonah Gadjovich? Trent Cull has said he’s still learning the pace of the game.

Johnson: He’s improved. In his last game, he was playing with (Carter) Bancks and (Wacey) Hamilton because they ignite players. They force you to be more aggressive. They force you to play your heart out or you look bad. Jonah is ... still learning the sandpaper side of his game and that he has to be physical. He has to be a presence and that will allow the skill side to come out. It is not uncommon for a lot of young players. They have to learn to play in the hard areas because if you don’t have that, you have no foundation. Travis Green or Jim Benning don’t call asking about who has the most goals, it is who is playing the right way. Again, that’s a natural learning process for a kid. …

Kole Lind played with Cam Darcy and Vincent Arseneau last weekend. Did it seem to force him to play a harder game?

Johnson: That’s one of the things we’ve been harping on Kole. He’s got a great skill set and he does really good things with the puck. But, how do we get the puck into your hands as much as possible? ... We need (him) to be physical. We need (him) to be first in on the forecheck and turning over pucks. The amount of time Kole had to make plays last weekend was a lot, which we were ecstatic about. But, it was because he was initiating. ... Where he was in September to where he is now, is a great first step in the development process.

How do you feel about the progress with Jonathan Dahlen and Lukas Jasek?

Johnson: It is the same type of thing. It is the compete, it is playing the total game. Those are guys we want to have the puck as much as possible. ... It is the details of the three zones and making sure they’re taking care of the puck in all areas and being part of the forechecking, competing and giving yourself a chance to have the puck and make plays. As a group all those guys have improved on it and getting better and we hope that continues. Post-Christmas, it seems to settle in and they take a big step.

Note: The Comets also added defenseman Cliff Watson on a professional tryout contract Tuesday. Read more at uticaod.com.

Edited by TomatoPieFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

@UticaHockey  What is Utica's PP% this year?   Looked stagnant, pretty much just McEneny and Boucher playing catch.  The Marlies are whipping that thing around on the PP just like their parent team..

They have been averaging around 20% but it's deceiving.  They will go a couple games in a row where they score 2 or 3 PP goals to boost the average back up and then they will be dreadful for the next several games.

The most frustrating part to watch is they almost always lose the opening faceoffs on the PP for an immediate clear and then they are terrible at zone entry on the PP.  They are so bad a zone entry that they end up trying to dump or chip the puck in which almost always results in a clear.

It surprises me that a player such as Gadjovich who came to us with the reputation for being a "hard banger" is apparently slow to pick up the "physical/sandpaper side" of the game.

Reading between the lines on Gadjovich Palmu and Lind it seems they have a reluctance to "conform." They are young and so hopefully it will come. I always thought that was Subban's problem too.

After watching the Comets/ Marlies game, I came away thinking that a) the Comets looked flat b) Gadjovich and Lind ( who both played with Darcy ) do look a bit behind the top AHLers, but was not too disappointed c) still really like McEneny even tho his +/ - took a beating. It was a good game to show how meaningless that stat can be. d) liked MacEwen. They had him on the Hamilton/ Bancks checking unit and he seemed to take his defensive obligations very seriously.

4 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

After watching the Comets/ Marlies game, I came away thinking that a) the Comets looked flat b) Gadjovich and Lind ( who both played with Darcy ) do look a bit behind the top AHLers, but was not too disappointed c) still really like McEneny even tho his +/ - took a beating. It was a good game to show how meaningless that stat can be. d) liked MacEwen. They had him on the Hamilton/ Bancks checking unit and he seemed to take his defensive obligations very seriously.

McEneny is the real dark horse in this organization, at least from a fan's viewpoint........most likely because he missed most of last season.  However, he might be the next dman to make the transition to the NHL.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

It surprises me that a player such as Gadjovich who came to us with the reputation for being a "hard banger" is apparently slow to pick up the "physical/sandpaper side" of the game.

Reading between the lines on Gadjovich Palmu and Lind it seems they have a reluctance to "conform." They are young and so hopefully it will come. I always thought that was Subban's problem too.

There's a big difference in dominating teenagers in junior to competing against men in the pro leagues for players who have a skill set like Gadjovich and Lind.  They are progressing just fine in their development, despite what fans think is best for them. 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Gadjovich had a nice hit on the forecheck, but he was fairly average looking at best.  MacEwen on the other hand was very noticeable -- not just his size, but he moves around as well as anyone.

Gadjovich isn't bad though. He has 3 years to prove himself and his skating has improved from last year. If he can continue to improve, then he will become a possibility for the Canucks. Most players spend 100 games in the AHL before they figure out the pro game and JG will be no exception.

• Like 1

I would like an Edler trade at the deadline and call up McEney to see what the kid can do to finish off the year. Circle back to Edler on July 1, maybe add Karlsson too...pipe dream I know!

Was hoping for a better game from the Comets since they were on tv, but was nice to watch them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would like an Edler trade at the deadline and call up McEney to see what the kid can do to finish off the year. Circle back to Edler on July 1, maybe add Karlsson too...pipe dream I know!

Was hoping for a better game from the Comets since they were on tv, but was nice to watch them!

I agree, except stay away from Karlsson. Too much money. Go after a guy like Myers if there is a Tanev trade or stay the way we are now.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree, except stay away from Karlsson. Too much money. Go after a guy like Myers if there is a Tanev trade or stay the way we are now.

Karlsson wont come here too media crazy. Plus we need alittle more size on the back end Myers yes please! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/10/2019 at 3:09 AM, alfstonker said:

these are kids who even as late rounders come to the ahl used to a top six role and having leeway to set their own gunslinger agenda and used to being overlooked and forgiven for their shortcomings.  they suddenly get zero leeway to make mistakes or even an opportunity to play top 6 and instead have to learn a bottom six game and work their way back to top 6 under a tight leash.  that is very frustrating for them, especially if they are top 6 or bust type prospects.  they are basically reigned in from doing what got them drafted until the rest of their game catches up and in some cases the rest of their game is sorely underdeveloped..

there's a double standard on this too.  more highly touted prospects do get the leeway and opportunity to cut corners, play their game and short cut into the nhl and figure it out there.  guys just below that cut off have a hard time understanding why they are treated so very differently.

in the end, the goal is survive the ordeal of the ahl boot camp with the top end of your game that got you drafted intact so you can eventually get called up and make an impact in the nhl.  they have to remember that guys getting more minutes them do not necessarily have their tools and that this too shall pass.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Myers is soft, dont want him here unless it was a short contract and cheaper than his current deal and I don't think that happens. 

If we can sign Myers a top #2 -3  D man 25 years 6'5, 210lbs this summer we have to sign him

Another bonus about signing a young free agent like Myers is we don't have to trade  assets.

Biggest thing is we cannot over pay for free agents as we have young guns to sign down the road, Boser, Pettersson, Hughes. Don't want another free agent signing like we did with Erickson.

Jets would be crazy to let Myers walk and not get nothing in return for that asset..

I see Jets keeping Myers for long playoff run in 2019 and trading him at the draft in Vancouver..

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

If we can sign Myers a top #2 -3  D man 25 years 6'5, 210lbs this summer we have to sign him

Another bonus about signing a young free agent like Myers is we don't have to trade  assets.

Biggest thing is we cannot over pay for free agents as we have young guns to sign down the road, Boser, Pettersson, Hughes. Don't want another free agent signing like we did with Erickson.

Jets would be crazy to let Myers walk and not get nothing in return for that asset..

I see Jets keeping Myers for long playoff run in 2019 and trading him at the draft in Vancouver..

Myers is 29 in 3 weeks. He is playing on a team deep on D. If he came here and got thrust into a top pair role could he handle all the pressure that would come with it? He is on pace for mid 20pt totals for an entire season. Dont think that is worth a big investment imo. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed watching him play for the Rockets but have to think if he goes to UFA then he likely gets 4-6yr deal at 5-6ish M per season Add in a NTC or NMC also depending on the cap hit.

If Canucks trade Tanev this TDL then it might make more sense to pursue him for sure

• Upvote 1