The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

On March 23, 2019 at 4:07 PM, 73 Percent said:

Chicken and egg scenario. Are the prospects not living up to expectations or is utica stalling development.  

As of right now utica top developed player is... sautner? Macewen?

No matter how you look at it, its &^@#ing sad.

I would say it is Markstrom. Who seems have turned out pretty well. And considering that so many of the Canucks best prospects develop in the NCAA or Europe, and the Comets have only been in existence for a few years and started with zero top prospects, what would any reasonable person expect?

Edited by WeneedLumme

On 3/23/2019 at 9:15 PM, GoldenAlien said:

If Utica was stalling their development then players should get better once they leave.  But who's been better since switching teams?  None of the more offensive forwards -- Shinkaruk, Carcone, Grenier -- have scored at a higher rate on other AHL teams.  Palmu was only in Utica for two months.  Cull can't possibly be so destructive that 60 days with him ruins your career.  Palmu has had plenty of time to "recover" with his old team, yet he hasn't made any advances compared to last year. 

Getting high end talent has much more to do with drafting than developing.  You can't spend a second round pick on an Alexandre Mallet then expect your farm team to give you back a Nikita Kucherov. 

Canucks draftees who have been sent to Utica prior to this season:

Forwards: Alex Friesen, Nicklas Jensen, Alex Grenier, Joe Labate, Ludwig Blomstrand, Brendan Gaunce, Alex Mallet, Hunter Shinkaruk, Cole Cassels, Jake Virtanen. 

Defensemen: Yann Sauve, Peter Andersson, Adam Polasek, Henrik Tommernes, Frankie Corrado, Anton Cederholm, Jordan Subban, Guillaume Brisebois, Ben Hutton (4 games).

What superstars could anyone possibly expect from this bunch?

Ugh those names...we sucked at drafting back then. Over the next few years we will see some sexier names added to that Utica list lol. We are drafting good players now, we will see them on the farm eventually. I hate this argument that Utica hasn't developed any prospects, but people don't add up WHY that is in the first place. When you draft a rookie you don't see them in the AHL till 2-3 years from their draft date! And a lot of our draft success has come from NCAA bound players who may never see too much time in the AHL. Myself and many others on this forum have wrote long write ups about why Utica is were they are development wise for our plays. But no one ever reads back that far to see the good discussions had about this subject. Just literally drop into the Utica Comets forum say a bunch of negative stuff then we all have to explain all over again the reasons why...frustrating.

14 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Ugh those names...we sucked at drafting back then. Over the next few years we will see some sexier names added to that Utica list lol. We are drafting good players now, we will see them on the farm eventually. I hate this argument that Utica hasn't developed any prospects, but people don't add up WHY that is in the first place. When you draft a rookie you don't see them in the AHL till 2-3 years from their draft date! And a lot of our draft success has come from NCAA bound players who may never see too much time in the AHL. Myself and many others on this forum have wrote long write ups about why Utica is were they are development wise for our plays. But no one ever reads back that far to see the good discussions had about this subject. Just literally drop into the Utica Comets forum say a bunch of negative stuff then we all have to explain all over again the reasons why...frustrating. 

I very much agree with your post but unfortunately Utica is going to be a bit thin for new prospects joining the group next year. Unless JB makes some moves in the off season the only new Canuck prospect additions I see for Utica will likely be Teves, Eliott and DiPietro.

Lets hope that the second and third year prospect group take some big steps in development during next season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I very much agree with your post but unfortunately Utica is going to be a bit thin for new prospects joining the group next year. Unless JB makes some moves in the off season the only new Canuck prospect additions I see for Utica will likely be Teves, Eliott and DiPietro.

Lets hope that the second and third year prospect group take some big steps in development during next season.

I'm hoping that too. I think the only NA prospects we have turning pro next year is DiPietro and Mitch Elliot?...i'd like to see some of our European league guys come over and get a try in Utica as well, by that i'm speaking of Petrus Palmu (give him one more try maybe?), Linus Karlsson, Tommi Utunen, and Kristoffer Gunnersson (who I really want to see just because of how insanely strong he apparently is!!). There has got to be a few gamers in that list there. And at least Karlsson is a center and apparently has a good 2 way game. If he works on his skating in the offseason he could surpise some people like Jasek did last year.

35 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'm hoping that too. I think the only NA prospects we have turning pro next year is DiPietro and Mitch Elliot?...i'd like to see some of our European league guys come over and get a try in Utica as well, by that i'm speaking of Petrus Palmu (give him one more try maybe?), Linus Karlsson, Tommi Utunen, and Kristoffer Gunnersson (who I really want to see just because of how insanely strong he apparently is!!). There has got to be a few gamers in that list there. And at least Karlsson is a center and apparently has a good 2 way game. If he works on his skating in the offseason he could surpise some people like Jasek did last year.

After watching Gunnersson bench pressing 350 lbs in a video I saw of him; he could be a treat to watch as he is not afraid to mix it up if need be as I saw him pound an opponent that took liberties with one of his team mates. There are a few good clips of him working out... insanely strong!

Not sure if Palmu will be back next year but he is under contract so we shall see.

Utunen could possibly make the jump this year but I think Karlsson  might be better off playing in Sweden and work on adding some muscle mass.

There will be question marks concerning the likes of McEneny, Boucher, Hamilton, Gaunce and Sifers as to who will be back next year and who management chooses to move on from. McEneny is a UFA gr6 this year but hope they try to re-sign him as they will need someone to be the offensive D man especially if Juolevi moves up to the big club.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:18 AM, The 5th Line said:

Teves, Elliot, and DiPietro............... 

Sorry Utica, we prefer NHL ready players.  Good luck with everything 

There will obviously be trades before now and October, but the Canicks have something like 20 forwards under contract for next year eligible for waivers. There’s a good chance some of those players get moved for waiver-ineligible players OR simply get waived and end up in Utica (ie. Schaller). Might not be youth, but there will be new bodies in Utica

Gilman in attendance representing the opponent.  Jarvis and Johnson in town as well.   Can see Gilman turning to Jarvis and Johnson with a puzzled look "What the hell did you do to poor Utica?".   We used to be the team you didn't want to play in the last month of the season and now we are the "bet the house you'll get a point or two.  We used to fill the house on a Friday night.  The tickets are sold (so I guess the sellout streak lives) but almost half of the seats are empty.  The fans in attendance are faithful and loud, but there's not a lot to cheer for.  The guys on the ice are busting their butts off, but they just don't have the ability to score.   The goalie situation was mishandled and should have been settled when Bachman was first injured.  The McEwen we sent up to Vancouver is not the same McEwen that returned.  Possibly our best players, Kero and Boucher are playing hurt, and the defence is a patchwork quilt at best.   In a correct environment the prospects should be better than the veterans and the veterans should be there to help them along.  Utica has the veteran leadership - always has - but what we lack are the good and healthy prospects.  You can't develop what you do not have.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, UTICANUCK said:

Gilman in attendance representing the opponent.  Jarvis and Johnson in town as well.   Can see Gilman turning to Jarvis and Johnson with a puzzled look "What the hell did you do to poor Utica?".   We used to be the team you didn't want to play in the last month of the season and now we are the "bet the house you'll get a point or two.  We used to fill the house on a Friday night.  The tickets are sold (so I guess the sellout streak lives) but almost half of the seats are empty.  The fans in attendance are faithful and loud, but there's not a lot to cheer for.  The guys on the ice are busting their butts off, but they just don't have the ability to score.   The goalie situation was mishandled and should have been settled when Bachman was first injured.  The McEwen we sent up to Vancouver is not the same McEwen that returned.  Possibly our best players, Kero and Boucher are playing hurt, and the defence is a patchwork quilt at best.   In a correct environment the prospects should be better than the veterans and the veterans should be there to help them along.  Utica has the veteran leadership - always has - but what we lack are the good and healthy prospects.  You can't develop what you do not have.

What kind of prospects do you think go to the ahl? 

Hughes?

Pettersson?

Boeser?

You get linds in hopes that utica can develop him to a top 9 nhler. That's where utica comes in. Development. Which clearly isnt their strong suit.

21 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You get linds in hopes that utica can develop him to a top 9 nhler. That's where utica comes in. Development. Which clearly isnt their strong suit.

Lind needs to be developed into a top 6 NHL forward. If he does wind up being on the 3rd line, it should be because of the abundance of scoring wingers in the top 6 which isn't the case.

4 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Lind needs to be developed into a top 6 NHL forward. If he does wind up being on the 3rd line, it should be because of the abundance of scoring wingers in the top 6 which isn't the case.

Why is that? He has the size and sandpaper to grind it out on the third line if need be. This isnt hunter shinkaruk we're talking about here. 

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Lind was drafted to be an offensive player, not a grinder. 

Really? Is that what JB told you? And here I thought he was drafted because of his combination of skill and grit. Which would allow him to make a useful contribution in the bottom six if there isn't room or he isn't good enough for him to play in the top six.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Hughes?

Pettersson?

Boeser?

Look at the roster of the best team in the NHL and more than half the roster earned its way via Syracuse of the AHL.  Tampa also makes smart non-draft signings like Barre-Boulet.  Our non-draft signings are sucking in the ECHL.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UTICANUCK said:

Look at the roster of the best team in the NHL and more than half the roster earned its way via Syracuse of the AHL.  Tampa also makes smart non-draft signings like Barre-Boulet.  Our non-draft signings are sucking in the ECHL.

Can't think of a non drafted signing in the ECHL. Sautner, Chatfield, Eliot, McEneny ( Gillis ? ), Teves, MacEwen come to mind. Who have I missed ?

Edited by SingleThorn
Teves, MacEwen

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Tampa has had these players in the A plus more I'm sure: Kucherov, Johnson, Palat, point, cirelli, raddysh, volkov, Foote, Gourde, namestnikov, pacquette, connolly, Killorn, Panik.

Most of these players had a stint or more in the A in the last 7 years, few of them are in the A now who might be on the cusp of the NHL in a season or 2.

Its possible to have it happen without top 7 picks. Of course the high end guys ideally bypass the A when they are picked that high. It is about finding the gems who turn out after the top 10 like Tampa has had great success at.

51 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Really? Is that what JB told you? And here I thought he was drafted because of his combination of skill and grit. Which would allow him to make a useful contribution in the bottom six if there isn't room or he isn't good enough for him to play in the top six.

All the Canucks have in terms of top 6 wingers is Boeser, and likely Virtanen and maybe Leivo. I'm quite sure that BoHo needs a quality scoring winger on his right side.