The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

3 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Hope MacEwen takes another step this summer and make the big team out of training camp!  The guy’s got guts. 

I said it in his thread he kinda leads with his face but the kid will learn from this he got up from a major whopping he’s tough as they come proud of the kid love that he has the stones to drop em with a goon that size who fought some of the best the NHL had to offer.

• Upvote 1

This kid shows that he's willing to do whatever it takes. I just hope they, management, has the smarts to take notice. It's players like this that you need on the roster. Sestito let it be said likely has hundreds of NHL fights to his credit.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

The Comets were officially eliminated last night.

Oh - I thought they still had a mathematical chance.   That's a bummer.  

They were fun to watch. - I was really impressed by the HD quality of the AHL feed and the Utica commentator (I forget his name) was pretty good.  For sure I will buy the package next winter

48 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

It might be three but I believe that it has been four years since Benning has been in Utica will make the trip next weekend.  I would have to guess that Cull's job is on the line which should make a lot of posters on here happy.

wow, I would have thought we would have kept a closer eye on our AHL team, especially when on an eastern road trip I thought the GM would go to Utica for a game or two.

But.... I guess thats why they hire and rely on the AHL GM, maybe he is on the hot seat?

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

wow, I would have thought we would have kept a closer eye on our AHL team, especially when on an eastern road trip I thought the GM would go to Utica for a game or two.

But.... I guess thats why they hire and rely on the AHL GM, maybe he is on the hot seat?

Linden did stop in Utica two years ago when the Canucks were out east but Benning did not join him. It could be three but I believe that it has been four years since Benning has been in Utica.

Watching the Comet's game and they are in the 3rd and it is 1-1 against the Providence Bruins.  Interesting to see Khulbie is up from the Kwings.  Kalamazoo Wings (our ECHL Affiliate) has made the playoffs.  At least one of our teams are going to be in the playoffs.  Go KWing :towel:

Interesting thought about injuries.  The top five teams, in terms of man games lost this year, were Anaheim (428 games), Dallas (406 games), Arizona (388 games), New Jersey (362 games) and Vancouver (319 games).  While the bottom five teams were Columbus (90 games), San Jose (101 games), Washington (104 games), Toronto (118 games) and Tampa Bay (122 games).   Comparing the two groups, the most injured teams certainly spends more games chasing from behind, instead of building on a lead, compared to the least injured teams.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

COMETS MAKE TRIO OF ROSTER MOVES

Apr 8, 2019

Utica, N.Y. – Comets General Manager Ryan Johnson announced today that the club has signed
defensemen Derek Pratt and Connor Doherty to professional tryout contracts.

Additionally, the team has released defenseman Colton Saucerman from his PTO. He will return to the Idaho Steelheads for the start of the Kelly Cup Playoffs.

Saucerman appeared in 24 games during his stint with the Comets, registering four points (1-3-4). 

Doherty, 25, skated in 52 games with the Worcester Railers this season, collecting nine points (1-8-9). The 6-2, 194-pound defenseman has 14 career points (2-12-14) in 92 professional games. Prior to turning pro, the Holden, Mass. native played three seasons at Sacred Heart University, scoring 21 points (7-14-21) in 99 games.

Pratt, 25, suited up in 63 games with the Maine Mariners this year, tallying 18 points (2-16-18). The 6-2, 194-pound defenseman also skated in five games with the South Carolina Stingrays and Manchester Monarchs last season following his collegiate career. Prior to turning pro, the Mount Hermon, Mass. native played in 141 games at the University of Connecticut, amassing 21 points (2-19-21). 

15 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Interesting thought about injuries.  The top five teams, in terms of man games lost this year, were Anaheim (428 games), Dallas (406 games), Arizona (388 games), New Jersey (362 games) and Vancouver (319 games).  While the bottom five teams were Columbus (90 games), San Jose (101 games), Washington (104 games), Toronto (118 games) and Tampa Bay (122 games).   Comparing the two groups, the most injured teams certainly spends more games chasing from behind, instead of building on a lead, compared to the least injured teams.

4/5 most injured teams are in the west

4/5 least injured teams are in the east

• Upvote 1