The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Did the experience in Utica for some of our young guys retard their development?  It sounds like that's what Wheeler is saying, right?

Yeah I really don’t like the sound of that quote. Didn’t watch Utica and don’t know anything about wheeler, is he knowledgeable?

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:38 PM, 73 Percent said:

Is it okay if i still want to keep him though lol 

Quoted the wrong post - meant the one above which said he was RFA.  

He might prefer a team where he has the opportunity to make the NHL.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure how it all works, but will Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone and Woo be joining the Comets this season?

Woo is not AHL eligible as he will only turn 20 next year and was drafted out of the CHL.  He could join the Comets only at the end of the season once his junior team is eliminated.  

Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone would need to turn pro and sign an ELC.  All 3 look to be going back to college this season.  Once they play in a pro league they lose their amateur status and can't play college hockey anymore.  

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure how it all works, but will Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone and Woo be joining the Comets this season?

It has been said multiple times Woo is too young.

Edit: others beat me to it. :blush:

Edited by Kanukfanatic

It’s easy as a fan to be impatient after the season Utica’s has, at least that’s how i feel. But on a larger scale those players going back to college and most prospects spending a year or two on the farm is what the franchise needs. 

I think the concepts of having a contending window with short-sighted trades and big FA signings is vastly overrated. If you look at the playoffs what wins is having depth both on D and with a top 9 F that can all produce. 

If you have that philosophy you can be a winning organization for a long time and not just within a certain window. That’s more or less what Sharks, Bruins and Tampa have done, and pretty sure that’s what Benning is aiming for. 

• 3 weeks later...

One guy that I think the Canucks should target to be Utica's number one center is either Brandon Pirri from the Vegas Golden Knights (who is exceptional at the AHL level and spot duty in the NHL) or Andrew Poturalski from the Charlotte Checkers.  Based on the AHL vet rule, Brandon Pirri would count as one of the veterans on the team that already has 2 signed in Carter Bancks and Wacey Hamilton.  Andrew Poturalski has played less than 260 games (240) so he would still be considered as a "developing prospect" by the AHL game rules, which will be important considering the Comets will have an influx of veterans possibly in Spooner, Schaller, and Biega.

Utica lacking that number one center since Cal O'Reilly has hurt the team.

Brandon Pirri
2018-19 SEASON STATS
  GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG TOI S PTSPG
YTD 31 12 6 18 7 6 3 0 3 14:27 82 0.58
Playoffs 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 17:15 5 0.00
SCOUTING REPORT
Has a wealth of skill and shooting ability. Can both set up linemates and finish plays off with aplomb. He shoots the puck often, too, which helps him produce good numbers. Is an extremely streaky scorer and generally lacks consistency. Also lacks a bit of bulk for his 6-0 frame and the physical strength to win board battles with regularity.
Long Range Potential: Talented, inconsistent versatile scorer

Andrew Poturalski
SCOUTING REPORT
Has a knack for being in the right place at the right time to produce offense at lower levels. Is equally effective setting up linemates and finishing plays off himself. Can be an asset on the power play. Does not have ideal size (5-10, 180 pounds) for the National Hockey League game, so he must add more bulk and get physically stronger in order to maximize his appearances (and production) there.
Long Range Potential: Solid scoring forward with a little upside.
Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Perron is 23 and a RFA, scored 47pts in 63 games for the Barracuda last year.  He was a star in the Q, 108pts in 62GP in his last year and a 33pts in 18GP playoff run.  Could add some scoring to the Comets without taking up a vet spot.

And AHL all star last year for basically a swap of a six round pick for seventh.  Needs to clear waivers next season but almost everyone does out of camp.

Canucks have way too many forwards that will be sent down I doubt they will resign Boucher and Kero.  I can see Leivo, Spooner and Pearson being sent down to Utica and Motte, Granlund And Goldobin being cut loose.  Too much dead weight and too many contracts that need to be signed.   Time for Lind And Gadjovich to take the reigns and become top 6 forwards.  Edit: Obviously I made this post before Benning offered Boucher to a contract.  I’m surprised we’re still keeping Goldobin, Pearson I can understand.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Wat 1

What I don’t want Cull to do is stifle his offensive players creativity.  What coaches tend to do is get your creative goal scorers like Lind and turn them into 3rd line defensive muckers  DON’T!  I don’t care if Utica loses 7-4, if Lind is a minus 4 and has 2 goals and an assist it’s a positive.  Defence can be taught, add it over time slowly without smothering his offensive potential.  Let your offensive players loose and don’t bash them when they make defensive mistakes, they’re young and will learn the defensive side of the game.  What can’t be taught is offensive talent. 

• Upvote 1

8 players got qualifying offers (I left the big club's players on the chart for comparison purposes) ...

Boeser, Brock RW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500
Boucher, Reid LW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $725,000
Goldobin, Nikolay LW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500
Leivo, Josh LW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $925,000
Motte, Tyler RW, LW, C vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500
Perron, Francis LW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $650,000
Rafferty, Brogan D vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500
Teves, Josh D vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

8 players got qualifying offers (I left the big club's players on the chart for comparison purposes) ...

Boeser, Brock RW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500
Boucher, Reid LW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $725,000
Goldobin, Nikolay LW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500
Leivo, Josh LW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $925,000
Motte, Tyler RW, LW, C vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500
Perron, Francis LW vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $650,000
Rafferty, Brogan D vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500
Teves, Josh D vancouver_canucks.svgVAN $832,500

I see why we kept Goldy; he’s cheap.  Motte and Leivo too.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see why we kept Goldy; he’s cheap.  Motte and Leivo too.  

These might not.be the final figures though (and certainly not for BB)

QO's just ensure that we retain their rights

Agents and clubs can negotiate anything higher, but if mgt digs in their heels, player can go to arbitration.  If they do so, however, they can't entertain an offer sheet from any other club

• Upvote 1