The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

These might not.be the final figures though (and certainly not for BB)

QO's just ensure that we retain their rights

Agents and clubs can negotiate anything higher, but if mgt digs in their heels, player can go to arbitration.  If they do so, however, they can't entertain an offer sheet from any other club

Besser is clearly going to get paid.  Those other guy are all one or two year contract players.  

I would've like to have seen a 1 year deal for Granlund and then have him sent down to Utica. He would be a good center on the team and address their biggest weakness. Spooner likely as well would give us two center who we could call up in an emergency without rushing someone like MacEwan. 

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I would've like to have seen a 1 year deal for Granlund and then have him sent down to Utica. He would be a good center on the team and address their biggest weakness. Spooner likely as well would give us two center who we could call up in an emergency without rushing someone like MacEwan. 

I think we buyout Spooner.  

On 6/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, Alflives said:

I think we buyout Spooner.  

He's probably one of the best buyout candidates on our roster although I'm hoping that we get Spooner down to Utica so that we have a deeper AHL club next year.  

Adam Gaudette is NHL calibre but would be better served to start in Utica until an injury.  I want to see him start racking up points again so that he can work on his offensive confidence.  

Tim Schaller would be a good addition for Utica as well as he can play center.  

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He's probably one of the best buyout candidates on our roster although I'm hoping that we get Spooner down to Utica so that we have a deeper AHL club next year.  

Adam Gaudette is NHL calibre but would be better served to start in Utica until an injury.  I want to see him start racking up points again so that he can work on his offensive confidence.  

Utica might have the highest paid players in the whole AHL.  Might even add Errikson to that list.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I agree on Spooner. Buying him out would not be the best move as it just means management is clearing cap to use it for something else (Myers). Keep him for just this year and waive him. If he get' claimed, great the contract is off our hands. If he doesn't, then great Utica has an offensive center they could use and the Canucks have a call up option.

I actually would've liked to have seen Granlund re-signed and then waived for Utica as well. Same situation. Doesn't make a big difference and it's less salary we bury. 

If we send down Spooner AND Gaudette, that likely means that Sutter is still on the team. I think that should change as early as this summer and be resolved at the trade deadline at the latest, especially now that we have 3 retention slots. A deal revolving around Sutter with retention to Edmonton for Manning and another asset makes sense. 

Interesting development, there are now six AHL teams in California (San Jose, Stockton, Bakersfield, Ontario, San Diego) and one in Arizona (Tucson).  Wonder if the Canucks would look into putting a team in the area -- same time zone and much easier flight access.  Plus the Aquilinis have long had business interests in California.  Some options:

Fresno, CA -- the largest city in the Central Valley, over 500,000 people in the city and nearly 1 million in the metro area.  It's located in between the northern and southern California teams for easy travel and only a 1 hour 40 minutes drive from Bakersfield.  The Selland Arena seats 7,600, which is perfect for AHL hockey.  The city is home to California State University, Fresno (over 24,000 students who might be interested in affordable hockey), and has a history with ECHL/ junior hockey.  Bakersfield is a smaller city and makes it work, and it probably wouldn't cost too much to lease Selland Arena.

Sacramento, CA -- the Golden 1 Center would be a premium facility, though the team would have to share with the Sacramento Kings.  Only two hours from Vancouver via direct flight, and only a 50 minute drive from Stockton and 2 hours from San Jose.  The AHL played its outdoor game there in 2015 and drew over 9,300 fans.  There are also two major universities in Sacramento -- Cal State Sacramento and UC Davis -- which combine for over 70,000 students.  It's the fastest growing city in California and has over 2 million people in the metro area.

Reno, NV -- hockey has done well in Nevada and there's interest from both the city and local businesses to bring pro hockey to Reno.  In 2016, the city council approved a 10 year agreement with the Reno Puck Club to get a professional minor league team, but financing became a major hurdle.  The Reno Puck Club projected $5.6 million to renovate the Reno Events Center, which would seat 5,100.  There were no guaranteed tenants or naming sponsors then, so the project fell through.  But the Canucks could easily go in and revive the plans -- $5.6 million is less than one year of Loui Eriksson.  Reno is a smaller city -- about 250,000 people in the city and over 450,000 people in the metro area -- but AHL hockey would be the main event and University of Nevada, Reno, has nearly 22,000 students.  It's about a 2 hour 50 drive from Stockton and 4 hours from San Jose.

Personally, I think Fresno would be best for cost and easy AHL travel, but Sacramento would be best for accessibility. The entire management/ training staff already visits San Jose several times a year.  They could easily take a two hour drive to visit Sacramento, then get on a direct flight home.  Or when the team is in L.A., Las Vegas or Phoenix, a few execs/ development staff could take a direct flight to Sacramento, stop for a day or two, then go back to Vancouver.

Edited by GoldenAlien

On 6/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, GoldenAlien said:

Interesting development, there are now six AHL teams in California (San Jose, Stockton, Bakersfield, Ontario, San Diego) and one in Arizona (Tucson).  Wonder if the Canucks would look into putting a team in the area -- same time zone and much easier flight access.  Plus the Aquilinis have long had business interests in California.  Some options:

Fresno, CA -- the largest city in the Central Valley, over 500,000 people in the city and nearly 1 million in the metro area.  It's located in between the northern and southern California teams for easy travel and only a 1 hour 40 minutes drive from Bakersfield.  The Selland Arena seats 7,600, which is perfect for AHL hockey.  The city is home to California State University, Fresno (over 24,000 students who might be interested in affordable hockey), and has a history with ECHL/ junior hockey.  Bakersfield is a smaller city and makes it work, and it probably wouldn't cost too much to lease Selland Arena.

Sacramento, CA -- the Golden 1 Center would be a premium facility, though the team would have to share with the Sacramento Kings.  Only two hours from Vancouver via direct flight, and only a 50 minute drive from Stockton and 2 hours from San Jose.  The AHL played its outdoor game there in 2015 and drew over 9,300 fans.  There are also two major universities in Sacramento -- Cal State Sacramento and UC Davis -- which combine for over 70,000 students.  It's the fastest growing city in California and has over 2 million people in the metro area.

Reno, NV -- hockey has done well in Nevada and there's interest from both the city and local businesses to bring pro hockey to Reno.  In 2016, the city council approved a 10 year agreement with the Reno Puck Club to get a professional minor league team, but financing became a major hurdle.  The Reno Puck Club projected $5.6 million to renovate the Reno Events Center, which would seat 5,100.  There were no guaranteed tenants or naming sponsors then, so the project fell through.  But the Canucks could easily go in and revive the plans -- $5.6 million is less than one year of Loui Eriksson.  Reno is a smaller city -- about 250,000 people in the city and over 450,000 people in the metro area -- but AHL hockey would be the main event and University of Nevada, Reno, has nearly 22,000 students.  It's about a 2 hour 50 drive from Stockton and 4 hours from San Jose.

Personally, I think Fresno would be best for cost and easy AHL travel, but Sacramento would be best for accessibility. The entire management/ training staff already visits San Jose several times a year.  They could easily take a two hour drive to visit Sacramento, then get on a direct flight home.  Or when the team is in L.A., Las Vegas or Phoenix, a few execs/ development staff could take a direct flight to Sacramento, stop for a day or two, then go back to Vancouver.

Who says it has to be in California. Lets just take Portland Oregon 

On 7/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Who says it has to be in California. Lets just take Portland Oregon 

Portlland has a love affair with the Winter Hawks. To get tickets at time you need to get them through scalpers. They don't want either a NHL or AHL team

13 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Portlland has a love affair with the Winter Hawks. To get tickets at time you need to get them through scalpers. They don't want either a NHL or AHL team

Ill take Vancouver Washington as a second pick