The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alex Burrows

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

I feel so bad for Bertuzzi man, he didn't deserve the hatred he got after the Moore incident. He tried to fight him multiple times and he wouldn't. When you attack a teams star with a cheap shot expect to defend yourself the next game. He didn't and unfortunately he lost his career. Yes Bertuzzi cheap shorted him, but it should have been expected. The punch didn't end his career, the pile up did.

I'd say the same thing if Moore played for us. If your going to play dirty, at least be willing to drop the gloves. Look at Dorset, that guy would probably fight Chara today with his bad back lol

He fought Cooke what Bertuzzi did was stupid, period end of story.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He fought Cooke what Bertuzzi did was stupid, period end of story.

He turned down a number of Canuck players before Cooke was stupid enough to challenge Moore.  Cooke was dumb enough to give Moore the moral high ground (as dumb as it sounds really....).

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He turned down a number of Canuck players before Cooke was stupid enough to challenge Moore.  Cooke was dumb enough to give Moore the moral high ground (as dumb as it sounds really....).

Cooke was also in Moore’s weight class though. In all honesty all of this could have been avoided had player safety done their f’n job as usual and suspend Moore for the elbow to the head. 

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

There's a reason why Moore took up his challenge while refusing several other Canucks, Cooke was a terrible fighter.

The only fight he refused before Cooke was Brad May which I don't take much ssue with cause May is a legit badass and one of the top fighters in the league at the time. Moore and Cooke were the same size/skill level of fighter so I really take no issue with it. Nor does that excuse Bertuzzi for a gutless suckerpunch. 

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That I can agree with 100%.

I get he should have answered to May but I understand why he turned it down. But lets not fool ourselves into thinking Cooke vs Moore was a huge mis match,

Cooke 5’11, 205 22 career fights vs Steve Moore 6’2, 205 1 career fight. 

44 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Cooke was also in Moore’s weight class though. In all honesty all of this could have been avoided had player safety done their f’n job as usual and suspend Moore for the elbow to the head. 

No one wants to see a player get seriously injured like Moore was. But if you are a dirty scared cheap shot artist and go after a team's star player then you better watch your back. Moore was a gutless goof to not fight May. If he had, May probably would hit him a couple times and that would have been the end of it.

I hate when little mouth pieces or bullies do stuff but are never taken to task. ratface and keith come to mind.

If you ever expect "player safety" to do their job you may as well count on winning the lottery too. As NHL fans all we ever see is "player safety" do nothing....over and over. It is pathetic.

Maybe Karma came back on Moore. Too bad it affected Bert so deeply though.

42 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No one wants to see a player get seriously injured like Moore was. But if you are a dirty scared cheap shot artist and go after a team's star player then you better watch your back. Moore was a gutless goof to not fight May. If he had, May probably would hit him a couple times and that would have been the end of it.

I hate when little mouth pieces or bullies do stuff but are never taken to task. ratface and keith come to mind.

If you ever expect "player safety" to do their job you may as well count on winning the lottery too. As NHL fans all we ever see is "player safety" do nothing....over and over. It is pathetic.

Maybe Karma came back on Moore. Too bad it affected Bert so deeply though.

He should have fought May but I also get why he didn't, he fought Cooke and that should have been the end of it. Bertuzzi crossed the line and has no one to blame but himself. 

I think yes, Bert does deserve recognition before Burrows. He was the greatest power forward the Canucks have ever had and probably ever will. I do not look at that one moment of stupidity as what defined him here. I look at those wonderful years of the WCE and to think of they only had good playoff goaltending, they most definitely would have won a cup.

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I think yes, Bert does deserve recognition before Burrows. He was the greatest power forward the Canucks have ever had and probably ever will. I do not look at that one moment of stupidity as what defined him here. I look at those wonderful years of the WCE and to think of they only had good playoff goaltending, they most definitely would have won a cup.

I still say if we didn't lose to Minnesota in round two we would of won a cup with the WCE. We owned Annaheim and the Devils that season. 

16 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Yea that POS has no moral high ground, Moore was a headhunter and karma got him. Just wish it wasn’t Bertuzzi who delivered the blow

In 69 career games he had 1 head shot and one Boarding penalty I mean if we're going to that extreme for him what punishment should a gutless puke like Cooke get?

1.8 pims a game aren't the numbers of a “headhunter” with 69 games played.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He should have fought May but I also get why he didn't, he fought Cooke and that should have been the end of it. Bertuzzi crossed the line and has no one to blame but himself. 

This describes why Moore brought this on himself, as a 4th line plug attacking the NHL's leading scorer in Naslund (https://www.straight.com/blogra/310796/steve-moore-didnt-deserve-dime-todd-bertuzzi-hit):

To understand what happened in the Moore-Bertuzzi incident, one has to flash back to February 16, 2004, when a Canucks-Avalanche game set the stage for the March 8 attack. Here’s a refresher where you will see a rookie player, who at age 25 had played a grand total of 69 NHL games, coming cross-ice and laying out the leading scorer in the league at the time. Playing the puck does not seem to be a concern.

That no penalty was called speaks more the hopelessness of the NHL and its referees than it does to whether the play was clean or not. It isn’t a clean hit. To quote outraged then-Canucks coach Marc Crawford afterward, it was “a cheap shot by a young kid on a captain, leading scorer in the league” and “a marginal player going after a superstar with a headhunting hit”. And the Code is simple: you simply don't do such a thing to the opposing team's star players.

Steve Moore didn’t play in the league for long and probably wasn’t going to. In the years that followed, he’s often bemoaned the fact that his NHL career was cut short in his rookie year. What he doesn’t seem to get is that he was a 25-year-old fourth-line forward in his rookie year, not exactly a sign that someone is going to have a long and storied career.

Moore was also no one’s idea of an angel, despite his being portrayed as such by those who always empathize with the victim in hockey. Just weeks before the Bertuzzi attack, Moore had driven the Tampa Bay Lightning’s Martin St. Louis from behind, headfirst into the boards. If Crawford had been there, he might have observed that it was a “marginal player going after a superstar”, not to mention a “cheap shot”.

What Moore has long seemed unable to fathom is that what happened to him is part of hockey: taking a punch to the head. And don’t start with talk that Moore fought Canuck Matt Cooke earlier in the Bertuzzi-incident game and should have therefore gotten a free pass for the rest of the night.

Hockey is, again, about evening scores. When Moore hit Naslund, he concussed him—at a time when concussions were treated far differently than today—leaving him with chipped teeth and bone chips in his elbow. There was a price to be paid for that. The Canucks needed a pound of flesh. And 19,000 people at GM Place were screaming for it that night, at least until it became clear that Moore might have been seriously hurt.

There are many, including Don Cherry, who argue that Naslund was never the same player after that. Fighting Cooke, who couldn’t fight his way out of a paper bag, at the beginning of the game wasn’t settling a score. There was still a bill to be paid, and anyone who knows anything about hockey knew it.

Todd Bertuzzi didn't set in motion a chain of events that would end Steve Moore's career. Moore did when he headhunted Naslund. Everyone knows that the players take over as policemen when a star is targeted. You don't want to pay the price? Don't take a cheap shot at a star. Why does that policing take place? Because without a price to pay, it would be open season on star players. It's how the game is kept honest.

Let's put it this way: if it had been Matt Cooke instead of Steve Moore on the end of the Bertuzzi punch, would you feel differently about things?

With his hit on Naslund, Moore pretty much set the table for what was to come. In hockey, you mess with the bull, you get the horns.\

I feel absolutely no sympathy for Moore. He got what he started. Unfortunately, he was unlucky a bunch of people jumped on him after he got what he deserved.

Edit: Ok I am done with the Bertuzzi debate in this Burrows thread lol. 

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I really believe Virtanen will become a better player. I'm expected a huge breakout for him this season or next.

Luongo on that team would have won a cup

Archived