The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HHOF Class of 2018: Martin Brodeur, Martin St. Louis, Alexander Yakushev, Jayna Hefford, Willie O'Ree, Gary Bettman

Neat to see a USSR player get in. While I think St. Louis was good enough to eventually get in, I think he is a stretch for a first timer into the Hall. Bettman is conflicting. There's no doubt that he's done a ton for the NHL and has been the commissioner for a dang long time (25 years). He's the first any only NHL Commissioner. Back when the title was the NHL President, Frank Calder lasted the first 26 years of the NHL's history and Clarence Campbell lasted 31 years. It'll be interesting to see if Bettman can outlast them.

Still, he's not been the kindest to Canadian franchises other than the return of Winnipeg's franchise a few years ago.

40 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Neat to see a USSR player get in. While I think St. Louis was good enough to eventually get in, I think he is a stretch for a first timer into the Hall. Bettman is conflicting. There's no doubt that he's done a ton for the NHL and has been the commissioner for a dang long time (25 years). He's the first any only NHL Commissioner. Back when the title was the NHL President, Frank Calder lasted the first 26 years of the NHL's history and Clarence Campbell lasted 31 years. It'll be interesting to see if Bettman can outlast them.

Still, he's not been the kindest to Canadian franchises other than the return of Winnipeg's franchise a few years ago.

I agree that it's good to see a player inducted for non-NHL accomplishments.  Old Russian players, WHA, etc. deserve more recognition.

I'd have been fine with waiving the waiting period for Martin Brodeur.

All deserving.

Bettman especially. Oddly, He is hilariously good at his job. His sole purpose is to represent the owners and their interests. Does any owner ever get booed? Fans booing him basically is another reason for him to ask for more money in his salary. 

You cannot possible think that Bettman has been good for the game or the league would've folded without him.  Think about that next time you fork $150 bucks for a seat at Rogers while a Panther fan pays $20 to see their team.

Archived