The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Welcome to Vancouver losers (Macleans Magazine article)

Violator

Last night on the news they spoke of affordable housing and then some A-HOLE came on and said $1900/per month for a 1 bedroom was a fair deal.

In what world is 1900 a month deemed affordable for most hard working people.

Our criminal world of corrupt politicians that don't have to worry about any type of laws.it seems.

The dirty money story tells what happened and will they go back and find the criminal profits,confiscate said properties  and change the rules so common folks (less than 100,000) per year salary

could live in the city they were born in.

THANKS LIBERAL GOVERNMENT,

WAY TO LOOK OUT FOR YOUR CONSTITUENTS AND THEIR CRIMINAL ENTERPRISES.

Prices in the Okanagan and Shuswap have been climbing steadily for the past 10 years.  Kelowna is fast becoming unaffordable for the average family. And as people sell their homes in Kelowna  they move further north - forcing prices up in Vernon and Salmon Arm.  It's great if you want to sell and move on further north - still reasonable prices around Pr George, Quesnel and areas. 

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

post expo 86 changed the demographics ,with the impending Chinese takeover of hong kong from british rule ,and Canada taking on the highly educated and/or wealthy .according to wiki as of 1964 there were 16,700 people of Chinese descent in the lowermainland ,as of 2011 that figure  jumps to 450,000. on a much smaller scale prince Rupert has seen an influx as well ,having always had a long history of Chinese residence (railroad) 

Hong Kongers[edit]

Vancouver received most of the Hong Kongers settling in British Columbia, and out of all of Canada British Columbia had the highest proportion of Hong Kong settlers.[50] Many professionals, spurred by the impending 1997 Handover of Hong Kong and 1980s economic and political issues, immigrated to Vancouver. Therefore, late 20th century Hong Kong immigration had relatively more socioeconomically higher end persons compared to previous waves of Chinese immigration.[51] Hong Kong immigrants perceived Vancouver as a good destination due to concerns about safety and the quality of Canadian schools.[52] As of 2013 several Hong Kong-origin families based in Vancouver are transnational, meaning that members of the family may move between Hong Kong and Vancouver.[53]

Bingo 

The price of housing aside........I do not like or agree with all the development going on.  I live on the North Shore and if you want to go over the 2nd Narrows bridge, you better be on the road by at least 2:30pm otherwise the traffic gets backed up past Taylor Way in West Vanc.   I hate even having to go to Lonsdale in NV as I spend so much time going around and around the block looking for a parking spot.

There is a major highrise development going up at Capilano Road & Marine (right by the Lions Gate bridge) and another at Taylor Way & Marine, also by the Lions Gate bridge.

The mayor in West Vanc is a horse's arse to say the least.   All this development and absolutely no mention about what they are going to do about the traffic problem. 

As soon as I can, I will be moving out of the city where I was born and raised as they have totally ruined it.

2 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

No kidding, even here in port alberni the market is nuts, when my brother bought his house 3 years ago he got it for 107 thousand and it had been on the market for at least 6 months. He just sold it for 207 thousand first day it was on the market and he really did not do that much to improve it and its only gotten worse in the months since, 5 years ago 250 thousand could get you a 2500 sq house here with a good chunk of land in the city or at least an acre out beaver creek, that house now would probably be and 450 to 500

Same as here in the North Cariboo. About 3-5 years ago $350,000 could buy you a 8 bedroom house on the lake on an acre. $100,000 could buy you a 4/5 bedroom house maybe even with a shop or garage anywhere else in town. 

The last 2 years or seems like prices have went up about 3x. 

Also big global corporations are buying sections of farmland like crazy. They’re buying up like 2000,3000, 4000 acre plots when those farms go up for sale. Apparently it’s because they can use that as carbon credits for their industrial endeavours in other countries.

As what I've always been saying....

People buying/living here are nuts.  

By all metrics, Vancouver is a B-level city at best.... but it's commanding A+ level prices.  Obviously something is out of whack.

Yet every time I mention this, I always get the same robotic mantra.... "Best place on earth", "the weather is nice", "it's beautiful here", "people loves to move here"...... all talking points with no substance.  

Born and raised... I love Vancity... but I see the city for what it is.... a Toyota Camry.  It's very comfy, got good power, style isn't bad, very reliable.  But it's not a Ferrari, a Bentley, or a Porsche.... not that it's anything wrong, but yet people are paying luxury prices for something that shouldn't be costing that much.  

21 hours ago, Bo fan said:

Prices in the Okanagan and Shuswap have been climbing steadily for the past 10 years.  Kelowna is fast becoming unaffordable for the average family. And as people sell their homes in Kelowna  they move further north - forcing prices up in Vernon and Salmon Arm.  It's great if you want to sell and move on further north - still reasonable prices around Pr George, Quesnel and areas. 

Can always head East too. Here in Calgary gas and booze are cheaper, and most goods are always 7% off!

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

As what I've always been saying....

People buying/living here are nuts.  

By all metrics, Vancouver is a B-level city at best.... but it's commanding A+ level prices.  Obviously something is out of whack.

Yet every time I mention this, I always get the same robotic mantra.... "Best place on earth", "the weather is nice", "it's beautiful here", "people loves to move here"...... all talking points with no substance.  

Born and raised... I love Vancity... but I see the city for what it is.... a Toyota Camry.  It's very comfy, got good power, style isn't bad, very reliable.  But it's not a Ferrari, a Bentley, or a Porsche.... not that it's anything wrong, but yet people are paying luxury prices for something that shouldn't be costing that much.  

Very, very true. I've lived here for a very long time, and compared to other world cities, Vancouver is really nothing special. The natural setting it's in is nice, but not mutually exclusive to it, and as a metropolitan area, it's nowhere near Rome, London, New York, Chicago, Toronto, Paris, and the like. It's very limited. 

But people with money were allowed to stroll in unchecked and drive up the prices by a horribly selfish and self centred liberal government. The provincial government screwed over generations of British Columbians. They should be hanging for it really, but this is Canada.......where no one in government is ever held responsible for their actions. 

19 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Same as here in the North Cariboo. About 3-5 years ago $350,000 could buy you a 8 bedroom house on the lake on an acre. $100,000 could buy you a 4/5 bedroom house maybe even with a shop or garage anywhere else in town. 

The last 2 years or seems like prices have went up about 3x. 

Also big global corporations are buying sections of farmland like crazy. They’re buying up like 2000,3000, 4000 acre plots when those farms go up for sale. Apparently it’s because they can use that as carbon credits for their industrial endeavours in other countries

Truly disgusting. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Not to mention you can buy a new condo downtown for <$500K

10 years ago I bought a house on a double-lot (can subdivide) in the inner city for <$400K.

Can still get a good (but older) house on a lot in the city for <$500K.

Whatever. It's over anyway. All people do anymore is bitch and point fingers. There's no major correction coming, there's nothing coming except even less availability and even higher prices. Don't forget your further increasing taxes. The taxman is ruthless. The government has done essentially nothing to help. In fact, they've exacerbated the situation. Saving well, spending only what you need, living within your means - all really means nothing when you get crushed by the aforementioned. My mum bought a townhouse 15 years ago for $150k. It will cost me double, if not more, for a postage stamp sized apartment in this town. The guy here at work bought a condo and paid an extra $75,000 over what his limit was because there were a dozen other people bidding against him, and he had no other alternative.

Like I said, it's over, especially for young people, unless you have uber wealthy parents, or you are a celebrity or professional athlete of some sort. Which of course is a very fringe minority of the population.

Fort St. John also has over inflate housing values. While on the surface prices here look reasonable in comparison to southern B.C. Prices here have quadrupled. There is very little difference in price between much older homes and new ones. Sadly most of the older houses up here would be better off bulldozed. 

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Whatever. It's over anyway. All people do anymore is bitch and point fingers. There's no major correction coming, there's nothing coming except even less availability and even higher prices. Don't forget your further increasing taxes. The taxman is ruthless. The government has done essentially nothing to help. In fact, they've exacerbated the situation. Saving well, spending only what you need, living within your means - all really means nothing when you get crushed by the aforementioned. My mum bought a townhouse 15 years ago for $150k. It will cost me double, if not more, for a postage stamp sized apartment in this town. The guy here at work bought a condo and paid an extra $75,000 over what his limit was because there were a dozen other people bidding against him, and he had no other alternative.

Like I said, it's over, especially for young people, unless you have uber wealthy parents, or you are a celebrity or professional athlete of some sort. Which of course is a very fringe minority of the population.

Prices are actually falling. There is also a lot more inventory on the market now. Foreign investment has also dried up. Not due to any of the actions of the government, but more to do with a crackdown in China on funds escaping the country. I do agree that the government failed its people in allowing things to get to this point in the first place though. 

2 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

So how are Vancouverites 'losers'?

SCF 1982 / 1994 / 2011? ;)

Also didnt Vancouver place something like 109th (tied with Toronto) on least affordable cities in the world (I beleive Calgary and Edm were in the 150s)... So a lot of those cities that people say are much better than Vancouver are also much more expensive. The million dollars spent on the condo in Vancouver may get you 1/4 of a property the same size in Hong Kong or Tokyo and if youre lucky you may get a place half the size in London or New York. 

I guess people are getting a taste of what the indigenous people went thru with respect to land/property.  Who knows, maybe by the some of the same people that came over in the last big ice age (yes, I know that's likely a myth).  Would be a sort of irony in that.

Archived