The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour - Kypreos) If Tavares chooses Toronto, chances are Nylander lands in Vancouver for Tanev

Xbox

1 minute ago, SingleThorn said:

Agree. I have emailed am650 asking for clarification. Have no idea if they respond to stuff like that .

sometimes they do. I've got twitter responses back a few times. 

41 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Why watch when we could join in the fun.... Maybe Vancouver should offer sheet Matthews next year.... 

That would be fun. Could see JB at the presser with the hair freshly colored. " so we want to make him a Canuck. Like, hes the total package. And like, he wants to be here" Why not. TO and the Eastern media treat us like mud anyways. 

Just now, oldnews said:

Instead of laughing and posting the obvious - from a tunnel perspective imo - maybe think about the larger picture?

When you have a handful of holes to fill, a tweener prospect pool, a pair of 1Cs, an approaching cap crunch, and a player that is a prima donna with a reasonable likelihood he'll consider moving on to Zona in the near future - particularly with a big fish like Tavares planted right in front ot him - you look at all your options imo.

Sell high on Matthews and get a king's ransome.  Any player is available at the right price, and there may be no better time to sell him than now.

I guess I see how you got into that back and forth with the other poster today. You are just a poster on this board like all the others yet you think you have everything right? lmao. Yea ok. I told you teams build through the centre. Quit with your tunnel vision and thinking you are right.  See..I can do that too!!

There are lots of different opinions on here oldnews. Is your name oldnews because you are old and set in your ways thinking you have the only correct opinion? That is how you are currently behaving. 

If you would trade Matthews, it shows why you are not employed in any possible way by any level of hockey team. It really is that simple. I gave you the benefit of the doubt with the ridiculous opinion of trading Matthews and tried to state why.

You are unable to understand that because of your entrenched one minded opinion that yours is the only correct thought. 

I enjoy reading posts on this board. But you tire me.  My first ignore...how special for you old!! 

46 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We have been one of the worst offensive teams since 2014. We need a Nylander more than anything.... 

I don't agree.  We need a Nylander far less than RHD and a powerforward.

We have lots of young forward talent - Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette. Virtanen, Goldobin, Dahlen, Leipsic, Lind, Lockwood.

We're anything but desperate for a Nyllander.     If people have a whiff of patience, the team will have a homegrown young top 6 soon enough, with plenty of guys capable of producing.

They'll also have a solid bottom six to support them, and some young D like Hughes, Juolevi, et al to feed them.

Nylander's a talented young forward, but we certainly do not need him more than anything.

I like the idea of an all Swedish line eventually.  Not off the hop next year though.  But by Christmas I’d expect Pettersson to be Centring a line between Dahlen and Nylander.  If Benning can be creative and get Nylander out of TO that would be great.  

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I believe hardcore Canuck fans will be sorely disappointed with any return we get IF Tanev is traded. Just like the ROR trade yesterday. Hardcore Buffalo fans were totally pissed off...at first.

Some objective third parties thought the ROR trade was a fair trade though. I would bet that is how a Tanev trade would go down on these boards. Fans would be initially pissed off, feeling they got too little. Then after a day they would accept it from a more objective perspective. It seems to happen like this for most big trades IMO.

The Devils trade where they got Hall was seen as one sided right away. Devils fans were thrilled with what they got for their D but Edmonton fans were totally pissed off...as they should have been.

They won't get a Taylor Hall (unless Edmonton wants Tanev and then who knows what the fool will deal) but they could get a Nylander.   They are trading from a position of strength - top 4 D that play just D and excel at it, eat minutes and rarely hit the box are rare and rarer yet are those who get traded.   I personally think the Canucks should keep him to assist in the mentoring of younger D that will be coming but if they trade him, I am one guy who will be fine with the return as I expect it to be decent.

You are right, however, some will expect a Taylor Hall or even more.    However, I disagree these will be the hardcore fans - those seem to be some of the more reasonable fans in the NHL in my experience.   Vancouver also has a seemingly endless supply of "fans" that essentially seem to relish their teams lack of current success and regularly troll their own team...I include some of  your media in this pool too.  Some of these people seem to wake up upset and their level of expectation from everything in life exceeds their reality so they take to the internet to voice their frustration.  Kinda sad....fully expected.   

Cheers.   :)

18 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They won't get a Taylor Hall (unless Edmonton wants Tanev and then who knows what the fool will deal) but they could get a Nylander.   They are trading from a position of strength - top 4 D that play just D and excel at it, eat minutes and rarely hit the box are rare and rarer yet are those who get traded.   I personally think the Canucks should keep him to assist in the mentoring of younger D that will be coming but if they trade him, I am one guy who will be fine with the return as I expect it to be decent.

You are right, however, some will expect a Taylor Hall or even more.    However, I disagree these will be the hardcore fans - those seem to be some of the more reasonable fans in the NHL in my experience.   Vancouver also has a seemingly endless supply of "fans" that essentially seem to relish their teams lack of current success and regularly troll their own team...I include some of  your media in this pool too.  Some of these people seem to wake up upset and their level of expectation from everything in life exceeds their reality so they take to the internet to voice their frustration.  Kinda sad....fully expected.   

Cheers.   :)

Well said and I totally agree with the bolded. And you may be right when I used the word hardcore. Some people live and die Canucks and that is who I consider hardcore fans to be. I think I am one of those (not that it is a good thing to be lol).

Sometimes I confuse some 'vocal' posters on Canuck websites that post a lot as hard core fans. Some just seem to want to nitpick stupid little details about any possible topic and then call themselves fans regardless about their negativity or ability to be objective.

2 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Why watch when we could join in the fun.... Maybe Vancouver should offer sheet Matthews next year.... 

That would make sense if Benning thinks he's got enough pieces in place to forgo having high draft picks for the next few years.

Just now, Sweathog said:

I don't see how we need a player like Nylander right away. Let's wait a year or two and see if our kids pan out before making moves for scoring wingers

Ya after thinking about it RW is probably the last position we'd need to address. 

2 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

This actually makes a bit of sense. Vancouver has the cap space, at the moment, to propose an offer sheet that could really screw with TOs cap. It would be great to see. It would really set up the Canucks for the future and they could afford to give up the boatload of picks this type of offer sheet would require....possibly.

This is a much better idea than anyone delusional enough to think Toronto would actually trade Matthews lol.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

:sick:

:sick::sick:

Alex Bauld needs to get some sunscreen on his dome.

As has been said -- Toronto NEEDS Tanev.  We do not need Nylander, nor do we need to trade Tanev.  We dictate the terms or they can go chase more 37-year-olds.

I agree with you. I'd rather keep our first and Tanev rather than trading it for Nylander. 

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I believe hardcore Canuck fans will be sorely disappointed with any return we get IF Tanev is traded. Just like the ROR trade yesterday. Hardcore Buffalo fans were totally pissed off...at first.

That was  a very good deal for Buffalo.  Whoever is disappointed with Sobotka, Berglund, Tage Thompson, a 1st and a 2nd - is probably out of their mind in their valuation of ROR.

At the same time it's worth noting that there were opinions from reportedly 'reputable' hockey 'analysts' who thought that ROR's value may have been at an all-time low, in the range of a 2nd round draft pick.   I found a lot of that talk absurd - and have maintained his (high) value throughout.  

Now - Tanev is not as valuable as ROR - however, at the same time, he is also the subject of a lot of uninformed devaluation.

He's an elite shutdown defenseman, an 'analytics darling', he has among the best hockey intelligence in the NHL - very few players read, anticipate and act on the play as consistently and incisively as Tanev does.  He is a great transition defenseman - retrieves and moves the puck - makes a first pass - as efficiently as anyone.  Is able to carry the puck and generate zone exits at an elite level.  And he's done this on a struggling, injury prone team that has been depleted and overmatched for a number of seasons.    Tanev, nevetheless, keeps on being Tanev.  The one limiting factor where he's concerned is chance - bad luck where injuries are concerned.  His injuries have been primarily freak puck incidents - he takes hits and bounces off like he's rubber - the questions around his durability do not in fact stem from his willingness to take a hit and a resulting lack of durability - he's suffered primarily bad luck injuries, as lots of players do and can't be judged or valued on that.   Tanev is not a player that gets dealt for a low percentage late 1st round pick or equivalent - that's simply not his realistic value - and he's a rare asset in a top 4 RHD.   I don't think people will be as disappointed by the return as the converse side is surprised by his real market value.

13 hours ago, rekker said:

I agree. If the right Norris type dman was there for a trade the Leafs would arguably be better for it. Really it would need to be a younger type dman. 25ish and a sure fire Norris type.

In other words not available unless Tampa wants to trade Hedman

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats fair but a bad luck injury is still an injury. And it is so frequent with Tanev that any other GM worth his salt would point to injuries as a concern to lower the asking price. 

On a deeper team with more support Tanev loses a lot less time to injuries. 

19 hours ago, Squamfan said:

alex auld said yesterday that the canucks should offer Tanev, Virtanen and the 2019 first

19 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I hope that AA's 'quote' has been cherry picked and is out of context. I like AA ( AM 650 leaves me stone cold ! ). This just doesn't pass the smell test.

19 hours ago, Squamfan said:

no actually said that

17 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I have emailed am650 asking for clarification. Have no idea if they respond to stuff like that .

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sometimes they do. I've got twitter responses back a few times. 

am650 have replied. Thanks to them for that.

Seems that Alex Auld might have been putting on a TML hat to give some perspective to how the different markets view things.

Here's my email and their reply.....

Discussion on CDC ( Canucks dot com ) has a poster saying that Alex Auld wants 'nucks to offer Virtanen + b grade prospect + 1st pick 2019 for Nylander.

Having trouble knowing if AA is being accurately quoted.

Could you guys give us some clarity re true/ false ?

am650.....

Alex didn’t say to make that trade but simply that this is what it would take to get Nylander.

Probably just some listeners misunderstanding the framing of that quote.

Hope this clears it up!

Thanks for listening,

Jawn Jang
Talk Show Host

Archived