The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour - Kypreos) If Tavares chooses Toronto, chances are Nylander lands in Vancouver for Tanev

Xbox

Furthermore, Nylander’s playoff performances are overblown. He still had 4 in 6 and 4 in 7 where Toronto’s team didn’t show up (especially the latter). Historically he’s done very well in the Swedish playoffs and was dominant during the WJC and WC. 

He’s still very young and has lots of time to improve in areas he’s lacking. If he’s available, gotta pull the trigger. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly. 

It's one thing to be soft, it's another to be soft and not skilled enough to make up for it. Which we were.

I don't think anyone will be complaining about being soft when our team is skating circles around the other team and keeping them honest with a lethal powerplay.

Grit can always be added later on.

Totally agree. Grit is cheaper and much easier to come by, not the other way around. 

Who do you spend 6 million on? Soft but lots of skill? Or not much skill but lots of grit? 

21 minutes ago, rekker said:

I agree we would have to add. I would add a second. It would be a high second? 

Ya, that's a tough pick to give up. Not something you like to see out of a rebuilding team, even if we are getting a young player back. Plus we have to remember that we're hosting the draft next year. So I highly doubt that Benning trades any of his picks, especially his top 2. 

I feel like we're probably bad trade partners in the sense that our D will be god awful without Tanev (worst in the NHL), so it doesn't make us any better and we won't be any better until Juolevi amd Hughes become established NHLers. 

Personally, i'd rather just get whatever picks/prospects we can for Tanev, keep all of our picks/prospects and continue building through the draft. 

Now...if we're talking about Tanev + Dipietro or one of our other B prospects for Dermott or Liljegren, that's a trade that makes sense. 

Nylander is a way more valuable asset.  If the Canucks can get him for just Tanev and change, they should totally do it.  

Soft and not non-playoff performing..... those things can change with the proper attitude and maturity.  

Kuznetsov had the same label, but not now after giving it 100% and helping the Caps to win the cup.

Worst case scenario... if Nylander is a no-show for the playoffs and remain soft.... he can probably be flipped in the future for more useful assets.  A PPG player is useful for any team.  

7 minutes ago, suitup said:

Totally agree. Grit is cheaper and much easier to come by, not the other way around. 

Who do you spend 6 million on? Soft but lots of skill? Or not much skill but lots of grit? 

Being desperate for grit makes you go out and overpay for players like Prust.

I think the best way is to just develop our own. We have guys in the system already that bring the sandpaper, we just need to be patient with them.

Guys like Tryamkin, Woo, Gadjovich, MacEwan, Brassard, Gunnarsson and Madden all bring the grit. And also project to be great depth role players.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Being desperate for grit makes you go out and overpay for players like Prust.

I think the best way is to just develop our own. We have guys in the system already that bring the sandpaper, we just need to be patient with them.

Guys like Tryamkin, Woo, Gadjovich, MacEwan, Brassard, Gunnarsson and Madden all bring the grit. And also project to be great depth role players.

I agree it's always better to develop your own talent, but we are very lacking and guys like Pettersson, Hughes, Dahlen are coming in very soon and with Boeser now, who is going to do it now? Gudbranson is not enough. I'm not saying go and get a guy simply for this purpose like Reaves, but a guy that can also play a role like Maroon or Roussel won't be bad for the next few years while we have the cap space to burn and likely the time it'll take to develop some of our guys anyway.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I agree it's always better to develop your own talent, but we are very lacking and guys like Pettersson, Hughes, Dahlen are coming in very soon and with Boeser now, who is going to do it now? Gudbranson is not enough. I'm not saying go and get a guy simply for this purpose like Reaves, but a guy that can also play a role like Maroon or Roussel won't be bad for the next few years while we have the cap space to burn and likely the time it'll take to develop some of our guys anyway.

While I'm not totally against bringing in those guys, I just hate the idea of signing them to 3 year deals and creating a logjam for young forwards.

I'm hoping that guys like MacEwan and Archibald are ready to take the next step and become full time fourth liners. That would be a much smarter and cheaper way to fill those spots IMO.

I do hope we add some more grit to the back end though. Seeing Hughes, Juolevi, and Stecher all in lineup proposals makes me a little worried.

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly. 

1.) It's one thing to be soft, it's another to be soft and not skilled enough to make up for it. Which we were.

2.) I don't think anyone will be complaining about being soft when our team is skating circles around the other team and keeping them honest with a lethal powerplay.

3.) Grit can always be added later on.

I would not want Nylander as part of any deal where Tanev is going to Toronto, unless the Canucks manage to flip Nylander to another team for a good return.

1.) And it's another thing to be skilled and soft, but so soft that your skill is not utilized as fully as it could or should. Which Nylander displayed in the playoffs.

2.) Gosh, wasn't that the "war cry" around here going into the 2011 playoffs? "We don't need tough guys/enforcers/grit on this team. We are fast and skilled, and we will out skate the other team, and if they take liberties and draw a penalty then our power play will score!"... and then the Canucks got to the finals. So, yeah. I'm will to cheer that kind of team on once again. Probably will work the second time for the Canucks. :) 

3.) Sure, grit can be added later on, and apparently so can skill, assuming the Canucks trade for Nylander. 

regards,  G.

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I would not want Nylander as part of any deal where Tanev is going to Toronto, unless the Canucks manage to flip Nylander to another team for a good return.

1.) And it's another thing to be soft and skilled, but so soft that your skill is not utilized as fully as it could or should. Which Nylander displayed in the playoffs.

2.) Gosh, wasn't that the "war cry" around here going into the 2011 playoffs? "We don't need tough guys/enforcers/grit on this team. We are fast and skilled, and we will out skate the other team, and if they take liberties and draw a penalty then our power play will score!"... and then the Canucks got to the finals. So, yeah. I'm will to cheer that kind of team on once again. Probably will work the second time for the Canucks. :) 

3.) Sure, grit can be added later on, and apparently so can skill, assuming the Canucks trade for Nylander. 

regards,  G.

We didn't lose because of lack of grit we lost because of injuries. I don't know how many times that argument has to be debunked.

Anyways I'm not saying we don't need grit, I'm saying trying to solve all our problems in free agency probably isn't the way to go. We have guys that are up and coming that bring the push back we need. Just gotta wait a couple years until they've developed. 

In the meantime they just need to plug in any league minimum contracts that can skate and hit.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

While I'm not totally against bringing in those guys, I just hate the idea of signing them to 3 year deals and creating a logjam for young forwards.

I'm hoping that guys like MacEwan and Archibald are ready to take the next step and become full time fourth liners. That would be a much smarter and cheaper way to fill those spots IMO.

I do hope we add some more grit to the back end though. Seeing Hughes, Juolevi, and Stecher all in lineup proposals makes me a little worried.

Well that's why I'm suggesting players that fulfill more of a role than just truculence. A guy like Maroon is something that we do not have and would provide a different element to the team and can play in the top 9.

Archibald is a nice filler, but at the end of the day, no team wanted him for almost half a season when he could have signed with anybody. I don't see him being a strong enough NHLer. MacEwen is at least a year away and who knows if he will be ready. It's better to bring in a guy now and deal with the situation if, for example, MacEwen develops into what we would like out of him.

The 3 year deals don't bother me in terms of cap space or what not, but just have to make sure to be careful of any clauses. We can overpay a bit now with our cap space for the next couple of years to avoid those clauses hopefully.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

1.) And it's another thing to be skilled and soft, but so soft that your skill is not utilized as fully as it could or should. Which Nylander displayed in the playoffs.

regards,  G.

1) Again, Nylander scored 4 in 6 and 4 in 7 on a Toronto team where no one showed up. Dominated playoffs back in Sweden and dominated WC and WJC. 

2) If you remember watching the broadcast during that series, we actually had lots of grit and if I recall, the Canucks actually outhit the Boston team. We had Lapierre, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Bieksa, Torres and probably some others I can't remember. The reason we lost was because of injuries. 

3) Skill is harder to come by than grit. Especially young skill. 

EDIT: Just realized @DeNiro made some of the same points. 

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'm not a huge Nylander fan, but I would love to get him in a Tanev deal.  We add lots in that deal though.....not one of top 5 prospects, but definitely one or two of our top 10 that would hurt to lose.

I would trade Tanev for Nylander straight up. TO needs to shed his future 6m cap hit and address their defence. Tanev is the prefect player for that team. They know it and we know it.  WN would be a good fit in Baer’s spot. Baer could slide down a line or be part of a package to bring in someone to replace Tanev. Another forward would have to moved out, but that can happen anytime before puck drop next season. 

We would be set at forward. Jake and Nylander could be on the same line, heads on then CDC would explode. 

We would also be able to flip Nylander for another player in a 3 way deal if need be. He does have value. 

We will be an entertaining team but will lose a lot of 6-5 games. 

We would need to sign a FA or be ready to have Hughes and or OJ learn as they go in the NHL. 

If this does happen would Calvin De Haan or Green become a target for FA. 

It would be a deal that needs to be timed correctly. Likely no team signs an FA until Tavares signs. Then moves would likely move quickly. 

At least this FA period will have some entertainment value. 

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

We'd def be selling low on Virtanen. What's his value around the league right now? We might be hard pressed getting a 2nd round pick for him. I suppose we could offer Tanev + our 2019 2nd round pick for Nylander and a 4th rounder. That's probably pretty fair, no? I just don't see TO being interested in Beartschi, Granlund, Gaunce, Hutton etc

As far as JV goes, I hope you're right. But at this point it's just potential. 

I think that would be a good deal, but I still think TO is going to want more. I honestly don't see a Nylander deal working. 

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Lol you tell him Pierre....next thing you know the guy will say Adam Larsson straight up for Taylor Hall never really happened it was all some alien conspiracy....

4 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

We'd def be selling low on Virtanen. What's his value around the league right now? We might be hard pressed getting a 2nd round pick for him. I suppose we could offer Tanev + our 2019 2nd round pick for Nylander and a 4th rounder. That's probably pretty fair, no? I just don't see TO being interested in Beartschi, Granlund, Gaunce, Hutton etc

As far as JV goes, I hope you're right. But at this point it's just potential. 

Any Gm in the league would trade a 2nd for Jake.... :huh:

Archived