The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour - Kypreos) If Tavares chooses Toronto, chances are Nylander lands in Vancouver for Tanev

Xbox

1 hour ago, tas said:

and there you have the second side of the coin. 

but so what? the potential is still there, I'd rather have the 50% that he makes it here successfully than with someone else. 

Remember Horvat saying how well he plays with a player like Gaudreau during the Allstar game? 

Also Matthews offense increased every time he played with Nylander. 

I’m thinkng Nylander plays with Horvat if we for some miraculous miracle land him. 

21 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Any Gm in the league would trade a 2nd for Jake.... :huh:

That's quite the assumption. His stock has done nothing but fall since he was drafted. He might still turn it around but to say any GM would do it is a bit if a stretch. Every GM in the NHL didn't offer a 2nd round pick for Sven Baertschi when he was a flame. All it takes is one GM to bite but lots of GMs would value their 2nd round pick over JV.

4 hours ago, suitup said:

Totally agree. Grit is cheaper and much easier to come by, not the other way around. 

Who do you spend 6 million on? Soft but lots of skill? Or not much skill but lots of grit? 

It's not that simple.  You don't assemble a team of fancy-dancer marshmallows then think adding a couple of gritty guys suddenly balances it all out.  Look at the players we're drafting -- some are small and skilled, but all of them have character and pushback, if not a level of grit to their game.  

It's just like you can't have a team of 5'7 160lb players and think you can protect them with a couple of goons.  Effective grit and toughness comes as a TEAM. 

Big Tanev fan here, but I take Nylander, I can't believe people poopoo that deal. You're not putting Nylander on the ice to block shots and bull guys over, the guy is super skilled, and can play center or wing. As mentioned above by 'suitup' Nylander on a line with Horvat? yes please.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but so what? the potential is still there, I'd rather have the 50% that he makes it here successfully than with someone else. 

you disagreed with the guy saying virtanen was a coin toss, then, with a little coaxing, you went on to explain exactly how virtanen is a coin toss. 

It's a moot point.  Toronto will only have cap space for one season. Next year they will have to sign their best young players to their first non-elc contracts which will put them right up against the cap.  Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, Carrick all RFA's, Gardiner is UFA.  The idea that Tavares would sign for 1 year is ridiculous.  Why sign a one year deal when he can guarantee a 7 year right now.  He has earnt his payday and I'm sure his agent will make sure he gets it.  The idea that Tavares would go to TOR for one year was started by Toronto media,  the same Toronto media that speculates that every big name UFA will land in Toronto.  Same old story, just insert a different name each year.

Tavares will go to SJ, DAL or BOS. Less likely TAM, can't foresee TOR or NYI.

2 hours ago, CrazyAL said:

Big Tanev fan here, but I take Nylander, I can't believe people poopoo that deal. You're not putting Nylander on the ice to block shots and bull guys over, the guy is super skilled, and can play center or wing. As mentioned above by 'suitup' Nylander on a line with Horvat? yes please.

VANEK/ NEAL - HORVAT - BOESER

DAHLEN - PETTERSSON - NYLANDER

Have at least ONE vet on the top 6...

Archived