The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour - Kypreos) If Tavares chooses Toronto, chances are Nylander lands in Vancouver for Tanev

Xbox

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

For Garissons 30+ points yeah 

Certainly Whalstrom > Tanev though 

I'm willing to bet Toronto will at least ask for Tanev + Boesser/Pettersson/Hughes for Nylander 

I would not trade any one of those players ALONE for Nylander nvm Tanev + 1 of them. You sure have a hard on for Nylander.

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why would Toronto trade for Tanev when they can just bring in Liljegren for 1/4 of the cost? 

Because Liljegren has never played a NHL game in his life and Tanev is regarded as one of the best defensive defenseman in the league?

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We didn't lose because of lack of grit we lost because of injuries. I don't know how many times that argument has to be debunked.

Anyways I'm not saying we don't need grit, I'm saying trying to solve all our problems in free agency probably isn't the way to go. We have guys that are up and coming that bring the push back we need. Just gotta wait a couple years until they've developed. 

In the meantime they just need to plug in any league minimum contracts that can skate and hit.

I wasn't speaking specifically to the lack of grit vs injuries argument, I was speaking to the belief of some here (way back in 2011) which I saw reflected in your, " I don't think anyone will be complaining about being soft when our team is skating circles around the other team and keeping them honest with a lethal powerplay."

I agree that a/the major factor in the Canucks losing in 2011 was the injury situation. Some of those injuries were due to puck luck (eg. Malhotra's injury prior to the playoffs, which was a contributing factor, or Hamhuis' injury in game one), while others were as a result of deliberate actions on the part of the opposition (slashes to the hands or wrists of guys like Ehrhoff which resulted in broken fingers).

An argument could be made that additional grit/toughness might have reduced those latter type of injuries which would have improved the Canucks' chances of winning. Further, some additional push-back (and I'm not talking goon hockey) could perhaps have resulted in a morale boost on our side, and might have taken some of the steam out of the Bruins, which might have resulted in a different outcome to that series. 

regards,  G.

Rather ante up for Marner, quite honestly. I would even be willing to give up our first next year (top 5 protected), and Tanev for Marner.

Marner had a slow start to the season but he really stepped up once Matthews was out. Probably the Leafs' best player during that stretch.

Nylander isn't an absolute play driver. Like Matthews or Boeser, Pettersson. 

But he's faster, still has wicked agility & skills. Very capable of both converting and complimenting good players, a play driver at the next level down. A formidable weapon.

And where not your elite two way guy at all? He's not one dimensional, nor the match up problem defensively his detractors contend either.  

I personally don't believe Tanev will command Nylander. I think he's a good hockey player.  I'll end up eating a low of the crow I threw over the (bloated) values guys here on CDC said Tanev would command. But I'm a Nucks fan. I'll be really happy if we attract Nylander.

2 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

Because Liljegren has never played a NHL game in his life and Tanev is regarded as one of the best defensive defenseman in the league?

Because the point is they are trying to clear Cap Space.

Liljegren is under $1 million, is only 19. 

Tanev is 28, costs $4.45 million in capspace. 

Would you trade Hughes for a 28 year old oft injured defensemen, just because Hughes hasn't played a game in the NHL? 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because the point is they are trying to clear Cap Space.

Liljegren is under $1 million, is only 19. 

Tanev is 28, costs $4.45 million in capspace. 

Would you trade Hughes for a 28 year old oft injured defensemen, just because Hughes hasn't played a game in the NHL? 

They are trying to clear cap space for what exactly? As far as I know, they have plenty of cap space. They are trying to upgrade on D and trying to win NOW. Liljegren is a complete question mark. Your acting like 4.45 million towards the cap for a D of Tanev's calibre is going to strap them...

My answer to your trade proposal is no but I have no clue why you brought that up? Not even what I quoted you on. Let's try to stay on topic here. 

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Who's suggesting paying Beagle $6mil?

He's also not a princess or a wilting flower that disappears when things get rough or intense.  Your best players have to be your best players ESPECIALLY when it really counts.  Kane and Toews do that, Willy's daddy never did and he appears to be cut from the same cloth so far.

Paying 6 million was an example I gave to prove a point in my previous post. 

Again he posted 4 in 6 and 4 in 7 on a Toronto team that didn’t show up. Did well in playoffs in Sweden and dominated WJC. 

Also I wouldn’t compare him to his dad. I guess Domi is just a goon...

Either way, kid is young. Playoff numbers aren’t bad, most kids his age aren’t PPG players in the playoffs. He just needs time.

Aren’t you someone who preaches patience with prospects all the time? 

9 hours ago, rekker said:

Gross. That's like sloppy seconds.

Not hard to gauge the general reaction to that. 

Kadri is a better player than Bozak and has a good contract.

Wasn't suggesting, just wondering if that would be the more likely choice of Benning if the Leafs added a centre and we needed a centre.

10 hours ago, tas said:

you disagreed with the guy saying virtanen was a coin toss, then, with a little coaxing, you went on to explain exactly how virtanen is a coin toss. 

no I disagreed with the idea of trading him 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Not hard to gauge the general reaction to that. 

Kadri is a better player than Bozak and has a good contract.

Wasn't suggesting, just wondering if that would be the more likely choice of Benning if the Leafs added a centre and we needed a centre.

Kadri is a better player than Bozak for sure. But he is just a piece of cow dung. 

3 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

They are trying to clear cap space for what exactly? As far as I know, they have plenty of cap space. They are trying to upgrade on D and trying to win NOW. Liljegren is a complete question mark. Your acting like 4.45 million towards the cap for a D of Tanev's calibre is going to strap them...

My answer to your trade proposal is no but I have no clue why you brought that up? Not even what I quoted you on. Let's try to stay on topic here. 

Kypper was asked if Toronto get Tavares would Toronto be forced to move a player. They were saying Nylander would go to Vancouver.

How Tanev figures to Toronto makes no sense, financially or defence wise. Just because Lil has not played in the NHL, doesn't make Tanev a better option for them.  Moving someone like Kadri makes sense. 

Well this would be one of those times we have to ask ourselves if we trust what JB says.  JB has stated that he will only make a trade for a young impact player in the same age group as Bo and Company.  If he trades Tanev for Kadri, it would not help the team much now plus does nothing for the team later.  From JB's perspective, trading Tanev for a Nylander or Liljegren makes a lot of sense for the future.  

Hilarious to see people posting how they don't want to see Nylander as a Canuck.  A few years back people were looking for the noose because we got Virtanen instead of Nylander.  Here we are now and a bunch of people don't want to see a 60 point forward who's 22 years old.  

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Well this would be one of those times we have to ask ourselves if we trust what JB says.  JB has stated that he will only make a trade for a young impact player in the same age group as Bo and Company.  If he trades Tanev for Kadri, it would not help the team much now plus does nothing for the team later.  From JB's perspective, trading Tanev for a Nylander or Liljegren makes a lot of sense for the future.  

Not a chance JB trades Tanev for even both WN and TL.  One is a softy, and the other is a bust.  

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Hilarious to see people posting how they don't want to see Nylander as a Canuck.  A few years back people were looking for the noose because we got Virtanen instead of Nylander.  Here we are now and a bunch of people don't want to see a 60 point forward who's 22 years old.  

Well, many of us realized our mistake when we saw WM do his double flamingo, and hide on the perimeter.  Plus, we see Jake developing into the better hockey player.   

#Hate McSofty

Archived