• Announcements

• StealthNuck

Forum-specific Rules   07/11/2017

These are board specific rules for the Trades and Rumors forum designed to provide organization and a better experience for everyone. Please review these rules before posting new threads. 
        THREAD ETIQUETTE   1. Please search for an existing thread before posting. This forum can be very fast moving, so it's understandable if redundant threads are inadvertently posted. In such a case, please use the report feature to request removal of redundant threads.    2. Provide a clearly identifiable topic title so that users can readily understand the content. The title should include any and all teams involved, as well as player names or other personnel involved as appropriate.   3. All trades, signings, rumors and other news MUST include a linkable source. Simply posting the name of the source is not enough. Effort should also be made to copy and paste the full article, or at the very least the relevant portion of text from the source to the first post of the thread. Moderators may remove low-quality threads in favour of high-quality threads. 

Affixed to the front of your title should be a label that identifies the type of transaction that is taking place. For all trades use [TRADE]. For all signings use [SIGNING]. For all waiver-wire transactions use [WAIVERS]. For all rumours use [RUMOUR].
      For articles or news items that don't fit into the above categories, affix an appropriate label of your choice such as [NEWS], [ARTICLE] or [MISC].   4. When the status of a thread changes a new thread can be created. The new thread should reflect the change and help focus the discussion on current events. e.g. Someone may create a new thread when a rumor becomes a trades. The old thread will be locked by the moderating team.    5. Do not misrepresent the contents of your thread or post false trades or rumors. Trolling will result in a permanent suspension. 

SOURCES   The following source types are considered INVALID. Any links to posts or threads on other message boards Any links to personal blogs Any news heard on the radio that does not have a link to an audio vault or podcast Any news seen on television that does not have a link to online video Any news spread by word of mouth
      Additionally, certain sources may be be blacklisted due to poor credentials, clear traffic-mongering etc. Blacklisted sources will be posted here. 
      Thank you for your co-operation and please PM the Administrator or Moderators if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this forum.
Ossi Vaananen

[Signing] Canucks sign F Jay Beagle [4 year x $3M AAV]

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

Saul Goodman...this is where we disagree ...my version of quality is different than yours...

As for moaning, they are bringing in old players...did you notice last year at the end when they played the young guns big minutes, the team actually won games.

It will be a long year.

It will be a long year, but at least we see light at the end of the tunnel now. We have never had this many good young players at one time. Petterson looks like  at least a future 70 point guy.  If Hughes and Juolevi both reach their potential we are looking good. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Irrespective of the money, you are being very oddly obtuse in terms of Beagle's value as a player.   He is one of the best fourth line centers in the entire NHL.   There is a reason the Cup champions had him on the ice in the playoffs more than any other player when they were shorthanded or when they needed a key face-off won.   You can get all concerned about money all you want but the comparative players you note are not in same category at all.   

Well, he's a faceoff guy, we all know that.

The Washington penalty kill isn't any good so it's not exactly a plus for Beagle, he's always been on the penalty kill but is not an excellent penalty killer. Don't expect a Burrows/Kesler level penalty killer here. He's average to above average, not great on the pk.

Edited by Duodenum

Posted (edited)

So about that "Jay Beagle is good on the penalty kill" thing.

27 Cs played at least 150 minutes on the PK this season. Of those players, Jay Beagle ranks 27th in shot attempts against/60 and 26th in unblocked shot attempts against/60.

Hmm, might be worse than I thought, yikes.

Edited by Duodenum

This may be my least far signing today. I think Beagle is a decent 4th line guy, but 3m is a lot to pay for a 4th line guy.  Term isnt great either.  And really, how many centers do we need??

On the flip side, I dont think it includes any clauses and it should really help our face off %.  

18 minutes ago, kloubek said:

This may be my least far signing today. I think Beagle is a decent 4th line guy, but 3m is a lot to pay for a 4th line guy.  Term isnt great either.  And really, how many centers do we need??

On the flip side, I dont think it includes any clauses and it should really help our face off %.  

There's apparently clauses for both Roussel and Beagle.  

14 minutes ago, mll said:

There's apparently clauses for both Roussel and Beagle.  

Thank you.  Damn.  I can live with Roussel but I really didnt want us restricted in moving Beagle if need be.

Liking this less and less.

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Thank you.  Damn.  I can live with Roussel but I really didnt want us restricted in moving Beagle if need be.

Liking this less and less.

It's just a limited clause, in Beagle's case probably just doesn't want to be traded to a rival of Washington or something or go to some dump city. If there is a market for him, I'm sure we will be fine moving him if need be.

15 hours ago, stawns said:

There's no youth knocking on the bottom 6 door really

The signing was for 4 years. There will likely be youth knocking on the door each of those years.

6 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

The signing was for 4 years. There will likely be youth knocking on the door each of those years.

Guys can be moved, bought out or waived.  Beagle included.  Happens every season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

27 Cs played at least 150 minutes on the PK this season. Of those players, Jay Beagle ranks 27th in shot attempts against/60 and 26th in unblocked shot attempts against/60.

Lol. Keep trying to create doubt. Sad lmao.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Lol. Keep trying to create doubt. Sad lmao.

Jackson “hot take” McDonald is the worst.

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

:lol: Ok. 

2 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

For the bottom 6?

7 hours ago, Watchincanucks said:

As a high school student I came 3rd on a math competition called the Cayley contest. As you may or may not know being good at mathematics is something most highly intelligent people have in common. I have qualified for Mensa as they accept individuals with an iq over 130. On the Mensa test many questions involve math and problem solving questions. It also includes basic comprehension of reading. If someone insults my intelligence I have no issues with defending myself.

I have always had a special place for nerds, especially retarded ones.  

20 hours ago, Provost said:

It seems like JB backed himself into a corner by not being creative enough to make trades.  Guys like this can be had on the trade market for much less commitment.  We absolutely needed guys with these skill sets, but there had to be better ways to do it.
He has made exactly one significant hockey trade (I define that as someone from the top half of your roster), and that was Kesler... and he was forced to do it.
If there are some trades to re-shape things further so these signings are destined for the 3rd line, I can almost buy it.  I doubt that happens.

It's not that JB was not creative enough. Trading for a center is extremely difficult. Just read Jim's statement about trading for a center, he made shortly before the draft:

Benning: It's so hard now to trade for centremen, that if you like one you just draft him, then you've got him in your system and develop him. It seems almost impossible to trade for one in today's marketplace #canucks

Curious  about  the better ways to add a center? In this years draft:  no way  - Habs took a center on #3,  Yotes on #5. The  best  two center in this years draft were off the board when Canucks picked at 7. Adding a center via trade costs you dear: either draft picks, the Canucks are not willing to surrender because those picks are like oxygen for them or prospects. Canucks are not willing to trade prospects away they consider to be part of the next core.  Jim views  Tanev,  Sutter and  Edler as vital in terms of mentoring the young kids and stabilizing them. Those three players are also not available as a return for a center. What's left on assets which can be dealt away in exchange for a center? Gudbranson, Hutton, Eriksson, Granlund, Goldobin.
I sure Jim tried very hard to acquire a center via trade. The reality is that the asking price other teams requested was just too high for the Canucks. I fully agree with the Canucks approach to keep draft picks and intriguing prospects and not to surrender them in trades.

How many center were traded during the 2017/2018 campaign?
How many center were signed by teams in free agency ?
I am pretty sure that if you answer both questions you see have tough it is to acquire a center via trade.
  • Hydration 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks for this, didn't know about McDonald's reputation. Much better reply than the standard I've been getting so far.

It's hard to analyse his 5-on-5 metrics as well, given the role he played with the Capitals (take a faceoff then bolt to the bench). So I wouldn't put too much merit into his league worst 39.15% Corsi etiher, especially given his actual goals against numbers are pretty good. 

Kind of delving from my original point though is that the 4 years is the sticking point. We can argue how good/bad he is and nothing changes the fact that his contract is just too long. He's 32 now, how effective is he even going to be going forward? At 35, 36? Would've been much better to get a shorter deal, even for a worse player.

We've got 12 million tied up in Eriksson, Beagle, and Rousell now for the next 4 years and Luongo's potential huge recapture penalty. That's a lot of cap space that will be used up 3/4 years from now in mid-30 4th liners and a goalie who plays for another team. We're supposed to be competing for playoff spots by then. 

55 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Thanks for this, didn't know about McDonald's reputation. Much better reply than the standard I've been getting so far.

It's hard to analyse his 5-on-5 metrics as well, given the role he played with the Capitals (take a faceoff then bolt to the bench). So I wouldn't put too much merit into his league worst 39.15% Corsi etiher, especially given his actual goals against numbers are pretty good. 

Kind of delving from my original point though is that the 4 years is the sticking point. We can argue how good/bad he is and nothing changes the fact that his contract is just too long. He's 32 now, how effective is he even going to be going forward? At 35, 36? Would've been much better to get a shorter deal, even for a worse player.

We've got 12 million tied up in Eriksson, Beagle, and Rousell now for the next 4 years and Luongo's potential huge recapture penalty. That's a lot of cap space that will be used up 3/4 years from now in mid-30 4th liners and a goalie who plays for another team. We're supposed to be competing for playoff spots by then. 

Yep.  I could also mean further development added for ELCs before they make the show to stagger them enough to make sure in case their second contracts are all like Boesers (unlikely).  Pettersson and OJ are the closest to making the team, Gaudette maybe too but he's already started his.   On the bright side all these guys are big or play big (Roussel) and tough players.  That's been something the CDC has threads for every few months, and it came at a cost.  Also they didn't overpay for Stastny and plug up the second line center spot (of course Vegas is a better option for him to win a cup but we had cap space to throw a ridiculous contract at him and didn't), it's obvious the team doesn't want to make it hard for our prospects to make the team either.  Some guys will be waived to make room which isn't the end of the world either.  Roussel can be traded easily at the TDL, just like Reaves had moved around there is always a market come playoff time for guys like him and he's not that old, still in his prime...Beagle not so much, but I will reserve some judgement until I see him play.   Also it's obvious they didn't sign these guys to play on the second line to replace the Sedins, but rather insulate and protect our younger players.  As long as those spots are open from internal competition and two young players make the team out of camp in the top nine im happy.

• Upvote 1