The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Jay Beagle [4 year x $3M AAV]

Increase to the salary cap has a huge effect on UFAs.

They demand more, and clubs have more to spend...

Clearly it was a priority for management to get a veteran depth C, and some agatating into the lineup....  but holy hell...  we just spent over 6M on 4th line players. 

3 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Increase to the salary cap has a huge effect on UFAs.

They demand more, and clubs have more to spend...

Clearly it was a priority for management to get a veteran depth C, and some agatating into the lineup....  but holy hell...  we just spent over 6M on 4th line players. 

Agree. People are still thinking in 2011 dollars half the time. As the cap increases incrementally, the bargaining power of the players increase. Think of it like an inflationary raise. 

A great 4th liner could’ve been had for 2 mil or less before, now not so much. 

Deal isn't terrible perhaps a year too long on both Beagle and Roussel but that's the price of Free Agency. Leadership in guiding the young guys will be essential as well as having some grit. Also a lot of our forwards need some time to marinate. This affords them some time despite some fans insisting we should throw them in the fire when they are not ready 

4 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I guess this will now be the going rate for 4th liners? Sad and scary. 

I mean if the top players went from getting $6M to $8M to $10M to $12M why shouldn’t 4th liners that have worked hard get a consummate raise?

not sad, just economics. The term tho, that’s a bit rough. 

42 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

We have tons of cap space, it is the term :(

would much rather it be switched to

3x4 and 3x 4.25, but it is what it is

There can't possibly be a NMC in these deals. :blink:

We must cruise for Hughes!

Jay Beagle was apparently a great leader and motivator in the locker room for the Caps and essentially an elite 4th liner. The term is long, but even in this case, 3million is nothing special, we can just bury him in the minors worst case scenario like we did Higgins. 

My question now is if this means that Gaunce and Gaudette may get sent back down to Utica. It would improve our center depth immensely, give us a bunch of guys to call up too. Beagle is rather tenacious though. I don't see him out on injuries often. This also opens up a possibility to trade one of Gaunce, Goldobin, Granlund or Gagner. (wow that's a lot of G's...)

Our kids are gonna be safe guys. Good times are coming.

6 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

Jay Beagle was apparently a great leader and motivator in the locker room for the Caps and essentially an elite 4th liner. The term is long, but even in this case, 3million is nothing special, we can just bury him in the minors worst case scenario like we did Higgins. 

My question now is if this means that Gaunce and Gaudette may get sent back down to Utica. It would improve our center depth immensely, give us a bunch of guys to call up too. Beagle is rather tenacious though. I don't see him out on injuries often. This also opens up a possibility to trade one of Gaunce, Goldobin, Granlund or Gagner. (wow that's a lot of G's...)

Our kids are gonna be safe guys. Good times are coming.

#MakeNHLSafeAgain #StrongerTogether

Archived