The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Antoine Roussel | #26 | LW

-SN-

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

OK AR26, I temporarily like you

Great goal today!

He was shot out of a cannon on his goal!

I saw a few of the last games of the Canucks in person before covid.  He was really coming around and starting to play like he used to.  Hopefully the game action is just getting him back to that level.

His pest level is still top notch. He still annoys the crap out of other players and gives little stick shots whenever possible lol.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Still see a huge need for Roussel. With Ferland likely to start on LTIR and MacEwen very much still unproven, he becomes the only source of grit and toughness in the lineup.

He may be undiscipline at times, but I felt after game 1 letting Reaves control the show by being sucked into his antics, once Roussel hunkered down and focused, his play was more effective. I feel at some point he will be used on the PK where he often played in Dallas. Something I didn't like about TG was using only a four man unit PK (Sutter, Beagle, Motte, Eriksson) but most teams have at least 3 units. Roussel's tenacity, grit, and energy needs to be directed towards playing on the PK.  When players can redirect that energy to special teams and feel part of the team game, the less likely the invest their time wasting on getting into the extracurricular which is what we saw when he didn't have a defined role.

I think a healthy Roussel and a full offseason to train instead of rehabbing will help him gain back that extra step in his skating.  He just looked a second or two late last season which likely from his knee injury.  Takes a while to feel like yourself again.

37 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Still see a huge need for Roussel. With Ferland likely to start on LTIR and MacEwen very much still unproven, he becomes the only source of grit and toughness in the lineup.

He may be undiscipline at times, but I felt after game 1 letting Reaves control the show by being sucked into his antics, once Roussel hunkered down and focused, his play was more effective. I feel at some point he will be used on the PK where he often played in Dallas. Something I didn't like about TG was using only a four man unit PK (Sutter, Beagle, Motte, Eriksson) but most teams have at least 3 units. Roussel's tenacity, grit, and energy needs to be directed towards playing on the PK.  When players can redirect that energy to special teams and feel part of the team game, the less likely the invest their time wasting on getting into the extracurricular which is what we saw when he didn't have a defined role.

I think a healthy Roussel and a full offseason to train instead of rehabbing will help him gain back that extra step in his skating.  He just looked a second or two late last season which likely from his knee injury.  Takes a while to feel like yourself again.

I saw his antics in game 1 differently. I saw a guy trying to draw the attention of Reaves amongst others to focus on him. This was to take some of the focus away from them potentially targetting others on the team. They still did, but not as much since they had this guy that they wanted to take the edge off of. In the regular season, Reaves' line was pretty much in control every game. I didn't feel the same during the playoffs. Roussel did his job IMO.

I do agree that he still has a role on this team and having a healthy offseason will do wonders for him. He was used on the PK in his first year, but for some reason not in the 2nd, but perhaps like you said, he was a step behind. As long as we can fit him in cap-wise, his speed and tenacity is welcome on my team. He put up around 40 points in his first year here too, so I expect him to bounce back from last season.

• Cheers 1

I'd agree with that, we do need some one just to keep the opposition respectful. He doesn't have to fight just be there when there's a scrum, returning the favours. I'm sure opponents are aware. I'd honestly like to have a true heavy weight, not for every game but just when need be and of course some one to explain that to Green. I can not see the benefit subjecting star players to  intimidation and hope to get a PP which has a 28% success rate.

Edited by Fred65

• 3 weeks later...

Was re-watching game 5 of the Vegas series, he did an amazing job. When he was on the ice, Vegas were all over him. I think it was at the end of the second and 3 knights were comng after him. He was more effective then Reeves. I have no idea why so many on here whine about him. He even had some great opportunities with Pettersson.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've liked so far that Roussel overall has quieted his game and hasn't taken a penalty (especially a bad one) since the Toronto series, but I want to see him start getting involved more offensively. 

He and Gaudette need to execute better, starting to notice on their shifts they work hard and skate hard but not a lot comes from their shifts, a lot of just dump and chase and out. Want to see a little bit more authority from their line that they can create some chances and bury some. We need more secondary scoring to support because the top two lines are starting to slowly gather their legs, but they can't shoulder all the weight for the whole season if we anticipate to get to the playoffs.

Roussel, Sutter, and Gaudette together need to contribute more, but I also look at Roussel, we need more from him.

13 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Yes, and if he can't give more, we need to start sitting him and dressing MacEwen more...grooming him to take Roussel's place.

If MacEwen had a stronger d-side game he would be playing I think. Roussel is PK'ing and has stabilized his game somewhat. I agree that ideally MacEwen and Virtanen should be taking his TOI. Roussel is a great guy but he will not be on this team in 2 years and the younger prospects have to have game time. 

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If MacEwen had a stronger d-side game he would be playing I think. Roussel is PK'ing and has stabilized his game somewhat. I agree that ideally MacEwen and Virtanen should be taking his TOI. Roussel is a great guy but he will not be on this team in 2 years and the younger prospects have to have game time. 

Yep, tell that to JB

I have to say, one thing I would have predicted for this season was that Roussell was really going to get his groove back after having a long time to heal and a proper amount of training.

He has only been so-so.  Last year when he came back, that was the catalyst for his line with Gaudette and Virtanen to take off and go on that spurt of great play for a few weeks.  It all started right from the game Roussel came back.

Just no sort of real chemistry with his linemates right now.  He isn’t adding a lot most nights at the moment.

• Vintage 1