The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Schaller | #59 | C

-SN-

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:21 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Gaunce is younger and makes half as much money. He has slightly better underlying stats than Schaller, even though Schaller gets 2.5x the % of offensive zone starts. 

Gaunce scored 4 goals and was even +/- (on a much worse team) vs Schaller's 0 goals and -4. 

Schaller: ES GA/60 = 3.0 

Gaunce: ES GA/60 = 1.7

I honestly didn't mind Gaunce. The stint in the AHL is helping him with his offensive game and is giving him an opportunity to play big minutes as a center. He has been doing great and in my mind the only way Gaunce not only sticks around but has a successful career in the NHL is at centre (in the mould of Jay Beagle or Manny Malhotra). 

Yes, Gaunce looks pretty good all of a sudden.  He was starting to play heavier and over all better the last time he was up.  No loss at all to see him replace Schaller, couldn't agree more.

14 hours ago, gameburn said:

Yes, Gaunce looks pretty good all of a sudden.  He was starting to play heavier and over all better the last time he was up.  No loss at all to see him replace Schaller, couldn't agree more.

We don't need someone to replace Schaller, when EP40 comes back, we need to jettison someone, not replace them. Agree it's likely Schaller though (barring a trade of say Granlund or Goldy instead).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We don't need someone to replace Schaller, when EP40 comes back, we need to jettison someone, not replace them. Agree it's likely Schaller though (barring a trade of say Granlund or Goldy instead).

Agreed, there are players in Utica that deserve some time with the big club and can replace Schaller if needed. Time to cycle some of the Utica guys in to see where they are at in any event.  I would waive him sooner rather than later, some teams are looking for players and a shake up: cough cough Edmonton.

Edited by Borvat
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Agreed, there are players in Utica that deserve some time with the big club and can replace Schaller if needed. Time to cycle some of the Utica guys in to see where they are at in any event.  I would waive him sooner rather than later, some teams are looking for players and a shake up: cough cough Edmonton.

I'd hope we could trade him (even if for a bag of pucks) rather than waive him as at least it clears a roster/contract spot but he also may have more value once waived. He'd be a decent depth player for a contender to have stashed in their minors for a piddling trade cost.

Just now, aGENT said:

I'd hope we could trade him (even if for a bag of pucks) rather than waive him as at least it clears a roster/contract spot but he also may have more value once waived. He'd be a decent depth player for a contender to have stashed in their minors for a piddling trade cost.

I would think Benning has been trying to see whats out there for him.  My guess would be not much if anything.  $1.9MM with another year remaining is a fair bit for a border line fourth liner who is is currently in the dog house.

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

I would think Benning has been trying to see whats out there for him.  My guess would be not much if anything.  $1.9MM with another year remaining is a fair bit for a border line fourth liner who is is currently in the dog house.

Yeah, like I said, he likely needs clear to have any trade value (even another 6th :lol: ). And perhaps we retain 50% to make that 2nd year more palatable.

Perhaps Boston would like him back....? Maybe...

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah, like I said, he likely needs clear to have any trade value (even another 6th :lol: ). And perhaps we retain 50% to make that 2nd year more palatable.

Perhaps Boston would like him back....? Maybe...

In any event waive him and see what happens. If he's taken oh well he was a UFA. I wouldn't want to retain unless it was for a decent pick (or prospect) preferably not a late round pick.  The contract, roster spot and cap space are benefit enough.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

In any event waive him and see what happens. If he's taken oh well he was a UFA. I wouldn't want to retain unless it was for a decent pick (or prospect) preferably not a late round pick.  The contract, roster spot and cap space are benefit enough.

Meh, if we can turn that 6th in to a 4th or something (or maybe an AHL goalie :lol: ) I'd happily retain $950k for one year while we have nothing but cap room.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

I keep forgetting how many players are back from injury!... we have too many forwards for the first time in a long time.  Tough to give up on Goldobin; Granlund can be moved, though.   Gaudette looked better after he'd been sent down... shame this can't be done with a few of the Canucks, not least Schaller.  If he gets through waivers... I guess he could be in Utica, perhaps to his benefit.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, gameburn said:

I keep forgetting how many players are back from injury!... we have too many forwards for the first time in a long time.  Tough to give up on Goldobin; Granlund can be moved, though.   Gaudette looked better after he'd been sent down... shame this can't be done with a few of the Canucks, not least Schaller.  If he gets through waivers... I guess he could be in Utica, perhaps to his benefit.

You think Schaller gets claimed, if he’s waived?  That might a good thing, because then we’d be rid of his contract.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You think Schaller gets claimed, if he’s waived?  That might a good thing, because then we’d be rid of his contract.  

I think he might be picked up, yes.  He's under 2 mill I think.  Not sure how much cap space teams have now.  Schaller looks like he could play a relatively heavy game -- haven't seen enough of it here, I know, lol. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I think he might be picked up, yes.  He's under 2 mill I think.  Not sure how much cap space teams have now.  Schaller looks like he could play a relatively heavy game -- haven't seen enough of it here, I know, lol. 

Not sure if he would get claimed as two thirds of the teams have their full 23 man roster and any of those teams would have to move a player out in order to add him. Of the remaining teams under the roster limit about half are likely non playoff bound and would not have any interest in him esp. with the TDL looming in the not to distant future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not sure if he would get claimed as two thirds of the teams have their full 23 man roster and any of those teams would have to move a player out in order to add him. Of the remaining teams under the roster limit about half are likely non playoff bound and would not have any interest in him esp. with the TDL looming in the not to distant future.

Your argument is pretty convincing.  And there have been a few players lately who have been waived, and not picked up.  Can't think of too many who have been picked up, other than a goalie months ago, and one D, whose name I have forgotten lol.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Is this guy even on the team?

Even with all the injuries and he still cannot make it?

No mention of him even on here in a month

Guess not much to talk about regarding him

Why did they even bother signing him?

Jims pick as a Bruin?

Schaller showed a lot of promise last year. Promise that's seemed to disappear this year.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I don't really know much about this guy EVER

or even how he was given a chance or failed as a Canuck

When everyone is hurt, odd no mention of him at all though I thought

He is not even an after thought

Yeah I didn't know him until we signed him either, but last year he scored 12 goals and had 22 points in somewhat of a breakout season, but this year he's far below that. He's fallen quite a bit from last year's results.

4 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Jims pick as a Bruin?

He had a really good season last year, I watch the Bruins nearly as much as Vancouver. Yet for whatever reason he hasn't been nearly as effective here. 

I don't know if the hand injury had any lingering effects but he has been pretty passive this season. Last year he was aggressive on the forcheck and threw some big hits and had the odd fight. This season I've yet to see that. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Jims pick as a Bruin?

It was a decent, depth signing on paper. And again, on paper was an upgrade in grit and scoring on Gaunce for the 12/13 F spot..

Sometimes, stuff doesn't work out for whatever reason. This is apparently one of those times.

• Upvote 1

Well another game for Tim and another set of Zeros on the boxscore. As much as Goldy is having a tough time right now, him and ZMac are better options then mr #59. I even enjoyed Gaunces callup this year and has been more effective. Like others have said, some signings pan out and others are warts on a roster. I guess Green/Jim is trying to showcase him and see if any team would bite on him. I’m sure Bryan Burke is a fan. That’s a big body gentleman.

1C22C70F-5BAD-415C-B1F3-6CC472CC8143.jpeg