The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Ryan O'Reilly to Blues for Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, 2019 1st-round pick, 2021 2nd-round pick

20 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

People saying STL did well here... I must be the only one that thinks they overpaid.

They did. A 1st rd pick in 2019, a relatively high end prospect, a 2nd rd pick, and two depth NHLers.

Buffalo did really well here.

23 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

People saying STL did well here... I must be the only one that thinks they overpaid.

They did overpay, but that's what happens when more than one team is bidding and the selling GM holds firm on his asking price.

On top of it all, the Blues now also have to pay O'Reilly his $7.5 Million bonus that's due by 11:59 PM est.

23 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I think this is a classic quantity over quality deal by the Blues, ala "CDC proposal style." Berglund and Sobotka are useful depth players, but you know what you get out of them, and Thompson wasn't even a top 5 prospect for them I don't think. I don't think the Sabres got robbed, but I know a lot of Blues fans are probably happy they didn't have to give up Kryou, Thomas, or Klim.

Depth is what the Sabres seriously needed.  They're a top-heavy team.  All teams had to do was slow down the top 2 lines and they would easily win games.  It wasn't a secret on how to beat the Sabres.

50 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They lost Bozak, Komarov, Plekanec, Polak and JVR, and the D is still pretty bad. Nice that they've got Tavares, any guesses on when Matthews demands a trade? 

Their top Six is still pretty fricken good! I’d have to say! Plus their prolly getting ready to make a move for a Quarter back defencemen! I would not be surprised at all;) I’m pretty sure everyone’s gonna be on the same page! Take pay cuts to win Stanley Cups if they can agree in terms;) there’s no way in hell Mathews is gonna want out! Now that’s just hilarious!

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Depth is what the Sabres seriously needed.  They're a top-heavy team.  All teams had to do was slow down the top 2 lines and they would easily win games.  It wasn't a secret on how to beat the Sabres.

man you've nearly got an entirely different core team to watch. Should be a fun year for you.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man you've nearly got an entirely different core team to watch. Should be a fun year for you.

I hope so.  At least now the Sabres can roll 3 good lines with this trade.  Mittelstadt will have no problem stepping into ROR's 2C role.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Raugh out Roud

StLoo appears a team that's destined to get 75~80% to the summit..each & every yr.

As mentioned, very sketchy 'tending.

Are you trying to say Chad Johnson isn't Patrick Roy reborn?!  :lol:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Are you trying to say Chad Johnson isn't Patrick Roy reborn?!  :lol:

Hi SF1..Forgot precisely what you sent to the Avs, for ROR? Are you pleased with the trade-off? Coupled with the Kane return, you people are doing some shameless hoarding!

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hi SF1..Forgot precisely what you sent to the Avs, for ROR? Are you pleased with the trade-off? Coupled with the Kane return, you people are doing some shameless hoarding!

Howdy.  The Sabres sent Zadorov, Grigorenko, JT Compher, and a 2nd round pick to the AVs for ROR.

As long as Botterill is better at the draft than Murray was, the Sabres are going to have a great pool of prospects well into the future with all of the picks they're picking up.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Howdy.  The Sabres sent Zadorov, Grigorenko, JT Compher, and a 2nd round pick to the AVs for ROR.

As long as Botterill is better at the draft than Murray was, the Sabres are going to have a great pool of prospects well into the future with all of the picks they're picking up.

Some interesting wars lining up between your crew & Hogtown..should be entertaining.

• Cheers 1

Tage Thompson is a legit prospect.  Not all players measured solely in production.  

Berglund adds decent depth.

Adding another 1st rounder to their collection of young talent. 

Better return than what they gave up for ROR imo.  

• Upvote 1

I like the deal for Buffalo.

I like Thompson - very good young prospect.

Sobotka and Berglund are both good possession players, physical, good faceoff guys - good two way players - reasonable terms.  Have always like Sobotka - he's a pita to play against.

Another 1st in addition to Thompson - and a 2nd....

I think Buffalo definitely got value here.

St Louis gets what they clearly wanted - likely the best player in this deal - but they also gave up a couple mid range roster players and three good futures, so it's hard to call it a win for them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Wow!!! 

St Louis overpaid big time.

Berglund alone scored only 7 goals shy of O’Reilly! This in only 57 games while O’Reilly played all season. Then they also throw in a first and a second? Wow 

Not really, the draft picks were a given. They basically traded Buffalo, although still effective players, cap dumps. They also managed to not trade away guys like Paryko, Fabbri, Thomas, Kostin and Kyrou, who were all rumored to go. It's a solid deal for both teams, but all depends on how St Louis does this season.

• Upvote 1