The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Ryan O'Reilly to Blues for Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Tage Thompson, 2019 1st-round pick, 2021 2nd-round pick

On 7/16/2018 at 5:10 PM, Noseforthenet said:

No, that's whomever builds the team's fault. Ryan O'Reilly will be worth the contract when he learns how to win, but he has been part of a losing culture for so long. Pretty much all his career. I don't think I would want him showing the young guys on my team how to win when even he doesn't know how. They traded him for a few bottom 6 forwards who have consistently played playoff hockey. If I'm ownership, I'm wondering why I'm playing someone 7.5 mil a year who doesn't know how to win and then asking if we could pay that to a few players who do instead.

He win good.  He win real good.

The fact here is that until this year his production has been that of a second line centre and that's what buffalo traded

He is playing with different players in a different system so of course there is a difference in stats

The trade isn't super lopsided, buffalo traded what they had in O'Reilly not what the blues have, the only downside really is the blues pick is 31

Great deal for the blues

Not terrible for the Sabres as in the end including the AVS trade they are basically up a late first

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

The trade isn't super lopsided, buffalo traded what they had in O'Reilly not what the blues have, the only downside really is the blues pick is 31

Imagine the roller coaster of emotions for the Buffalo management. In January it looked as if they would have a sure fire top 4 pick, 6 months later and they got worst case Ontario.

**as pointed out by D-money it was protected** 

My bad

Edited by coryberg
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Imagine the roller coaster of emotions for the Buffalo management. In January it looked as if they would have a sure fire top 4 pick, 6 months later and they got worst case Ontario.

The pick was top-10 protected.

Of course, had the Blues packed it in and sold off some vets (there were many rumours around Pietrangelo & Tarasenko), maybe the 2020 pick would also be high.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

He win good.  He win real good.

He sure did. I'm glad I was wrong. It took the right coach and right team to point him in the right direction though. Once that happened, he unleashed his potential, which is fantastic. Now he can be a role model for anyone else going thru the Blues pipeline for years to come.

6 hours ago, Wanless said:

The fact here is that until this year his production has been that of a second line centre and that's what buffalo traded

He is playing with different players in a different system so of course there is a difference in stats

Great deal for the blues

Not terrible for the Sabres as in the end including the AVS trade they are basically up a late first

This is why we need Lucic here. New team, new style, etc. Lucic would be re-born here.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sooo....  how's this trade looking now?  :) 

underlying numbers,etc don't win championships.

ROR comes from a losing culture = not a culture driver.

anyhow - might be my favorite playoff performance of all time.

would have been nice if his goal had been te Stanley Cup winner, but as it turns out, a Marchand brain fart resulting in AP's gwg is probably even sweeter lol.

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

underlying numbers,etc don't win championships.

ROR comes from a losing culture = not a culture driver.

anyhow - might be my favorite playoff performance of all time.

would have been nice if his goal had been te Stanley Cup winner, but as it turns out, a Marchand brain fart resulting in AP's gwg is probably even sweeter lol.

RoR was stuck on bad teams. Not sure how you expect a player of his offensive caliber (less than a point a game) to have all 4 lines playing winning hockey. When he came into the league as an 18 year old, he was already showing a lot of poise as a player, predominantly getting his starts in the d-zone. He's looked great playing for Canada internationally as well.

Would you say Horvat is not a culture driver?.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

RoR was stuck on bad teams. Not sure how you expect a player of his offensive caliber (less than a point a game) to have all 4 lines playing winning hockey. When he came into the league as an 18 year old, he was already showing a lot of poise as a player, predominantly getting his starts in the d-zone. He's looked great playing for Canada internationally as well.

Would you say Horvat is not a culture driver?.

preaching to the converted PP.  what's the acronym for sarcasm?

• 4 weeks later...