The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A defense of FA signings/Benning by a Benning hater

CanadianRugby

I see that most people are pretty upset at the Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel signings.  I'm someone that'd be dancing in the streets if Benning got fired tomorrow, but I have to defend these signings for a few reasons.  

1. First of all, everyone wanted Vancouver to get tougher which is what they did.  It's a lot better in my opinion to sign toughness than trade for or draft it.

2. Some people have quoted Benning as saying that the NHL is now a speed/skill game so why is he signing these old guys?  Well, if you look at the players he's drafted he DID target speed and skill.  In the meantime, someone has to do the grinding so that our up and coming youngsters can play offensive roles.  Been saying it for years, better to sign these types of guys instead of trading 2nd round picks for them. 

3. To those that are upset about term and money, you should be used to it by now with this management group.  If you want these contracts to look better, just compare them to what we gave to Eriksson, Sutter and Gudbranson.  Contracts are one of Benning's biggest weakness but the ones today aren't terrible, just bad and that's an improvement.  Baby steps.  

4. Finally and most importantly, what do these signings signal.  Benning didn't target the types of players that will actually make a difference in wins/losses.  He signed guys that will fill the bottom 6 roles and this leaves more room for our talented forward prospects to break onto the 2nd line and get power play time.  No Vaneks or Erikssons or Millers in a sad attempt to squeeze blood from a stone.  This was a rebuild type of free agency day.  

At the end of the day we got some good 4th liners and overpaid them but why would anyone sign in Vancouver unless they were overpaid?  They're small enough that you can trade them, buy them out or bury them in the minors if you get in cap trouble in a few years.  There was nothing Vancouver could have done to turn this ship around any faster and IMO they didn't really shoot themselves in the foot. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I see that most people are pretty upset at the Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel signings. 

Uh, who is upset?   All of the posters that seem to have good hockey knowledge are pretty happy if not ecstatic about the moves.   Other than the 4 year terms (3 years better IMHO), these moves ticked all the key boxes for the Canucks.   No one to interfere with top 6 forward talent development but adding oodles of leadership, a good dose of speed and some very nice hard to play against elements that include great PK and face-off abilities.    

If someone is "hating" this, it doesn't seem to be on CDC.    I think Toronto media is in a Tavares delirium and perhaps that is where you are perceiving an issue?   Or, perhaps you are reading the opinions of Flame, Oilers and other Pacific Division fans who are thinking "perhaps the Canucks are going to be harder to play against and they do have all those young studs coming....crap, they might just be good faster than we thought they would be".

Is that it?   Is that where you see the hate?  

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, who is upset?   All of the posters that seem to have good hockey knowledge are pretty happy if not ecstatic about the moves.   Other than the 4 year terms (3 years better IMHO), these moves ticked all the key boxes for the Canucks.   No one to interfere with top 6 forward talent development but adding oodles of leadership, a good dose of speed and some very nice hard to play against elements that include great PK and face-off abilities.    

If someone is "hating" this, it doesn't seem to be on CDC.    I think Toronto media is in a Tavares delirium and perhaps that is where you are perceiving an issue?   Or, perhaps you are reading the opinions of Flame, Oilers and other Pacific Division fans who are thinking "perhaps the Canucks are going to be harder to play against and they do have all those young studs coming....crap, they might just be good faster than we thought they would be".

Is that it?   Is that where you see the hate?  

People on Twitter have been furious about these signings all day.

Guys coming to this roster are chasing the money, not the Cup.

I have mixed feelings about these signings, but overall I’m indifferent.

He didn’t do anything like he used to, which is great.

He didn’t make daft signings.

He did make the team slightly more rugged if these guys play in place of the smurf prospects, but we’ll see what it looks like in February. 

He did target a serviceable C with size. 

I’d give him a C, possibly a C+ for day One of free agency. 

He paid Reeves money for 195lb punching bag who is ok in his limited roll, but he’s no DD. I guess the team needed a rat, so fine. 

2018-19 is a hell of a place to end a run of softness by hiring scrappers. Makes me wonder why it took all this time? Didn’t get the best role players, didn’t get the worst. Just blah. 

Day 2 and on should see a few trades, right?!

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, who is upset?   

Canuck fans.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

All of the posters that seem to have good hockey knowledge are pretty happy if not ecstatic about the moves.   Other than the 4 year terms (3 years better IMHO), these moves ticked all the key boxes for the Canucks.   

All of the posters that seem to have good hockey knowledge, you have a list?  Or are you so narcissistic that you only see people that agree with you.  "Other than the 4 year terms"  Contracts are term & money, so if you're not happy with the term that's half the contract that's bad.  

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

2018-19 is a hell of a place to end a run of softness by hiring scrappers. Makes me wonder why it took all this time? 

Most of the time this regime was chasing the playoffs not toughness.  Though they did add Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Dorsett & Prust.  

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Canuck fans.

All of the posters that seem to have good hockey knowledge, you have a list?  Or are you so narcissistic that you only see people that agree with you.  "Other than the 4 year terms"  Contracts are term & money, so if you're not happy with the term that's half the contract that's bad.  

Yup, I do have a list and being fine with the AAV and wanting 3 versus 4 years on two of three contracts hardly is “half” but I guess if you are looking to embrace a negative narrative you will need to reach like that.   :)

I’m no benning superfan .

But I can say these are the type of players/signings we’ve needed for  years. this team has been way to easy to play against for way to long. While I wish the term was less, it is the official overpay day either term or dollar or in some cases both. 

I like these signings I’d like them even more if we could get rid of past mistakes gagme and eriksdone.

Atleast we won’t be complete pushovers. And it won’t all be on one guys shoulders like it was with dorsett. 

Overall a good day. 

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, I do have a list and being fine with the AAV and wanting 3 versus 4 years on two of three contracts hardly is “half” but I guess if you are looking to embrace a negative narrative you will need to reach like that.   :)

Negative narrative?!

The poster, after first admitting a haters-bias against Benning, lists off 4 positives for today, July 1, and calls it a day. 

:lol:World-class trolling, Zepp.

What has occurred to me is Benning's earlier statement regarding getting more picks

and his comments of teams after Sutter.

Could Benning have been positioning himself for later trades? I am sure he received calls

both before the draft and in the last week.....now he is in a position of strength, having extra

veterans, so his age formula is filled.

I am not say it is so, just that it gives Benning more options, whether that be a package deal,

where he moves a couple of players in one deal, or whether he moves a couple of younger

prospects that don't fit the plan (Goldobin?)(Hutton?)

Depth gives you options......he signed depth, therefore he has more options...…...we shall see!

8 minutes ago, spur1 said:

The bonus of these signings is that Benning spent less than a Sedin and a Dorsett for all three.  

Not that money is an issue..., but yes, meaning that no more LEs plugging up the tank. 

Just for making the team a bit nastier, even Benning’s biggest critics can offer praise today.

Personally, I’m indifferent about the signings. Let’s see what they look like during the dog-days of January before we all do what this board did last year... the year before that... the year before that... and declare this day a win until we see the team during some adversity.

You’d think we’d learn to temper expectations, given the signings we’ve endured, especially of late. 

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Negative narrative?!

The poster, after first admitting a haters-bias against Benning, lists off 4 positives for today, July 1, and calls it a day. 

:lol:World-class trolling, Zepp.

Not talking about him, the Twitter trolls.   He is perpetuating a false narrative as most “fans” are probably very happy with the moves today and certainly the more consistently sane CDC posters are supportive so the narrative isn’t happening here without some selective invention.   You call that trolling?  :lol:

BTW - you need a new dictionary as you seem to not know the meaning of some terms.   

Cheers :)

10 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not that money is an issue..., but yes, meaning that no more LEs plugging up the tank. 

Just for making the team a bit nastier, even Benning’s biggest critics can offer praise today.

Personally, I’m indifferent about the signings. Let’s see what they look like during the dog-days of January before we all do what this board did last year... the year before that... the year before that... and declare this day a win until we see the team during some adversity.

You’d think we’d learn to temper expectations, given the signings we’ve endured, especially of late. 

Benning added depth today 

48 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If someone is "hating" this, it doesn't seem to be on CDC. 

Probably because CDC is overly positive, sometimes to the point of delusion (see the Gudbranson thread where people think he's a top pairing D-man LOL).

You go pretty much anywhere else online for Canucks talk and the opinions are a lot more... balanced (Canucks reddit is good, HF is skewed the other way).

Canuck fans.

Lol, this is pure gold. "You're only smart if you agree with my opinion!"

28 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I make a thread praising Benning and somehow am embracing a negative narrative? 

Well if you listen to the radio, look at social media or either of the threads on CDC about the signed players you'd see that in fact most Canuck fans aren't fans of these signings.  

So I guess it makes sense, you're consistent in seeing things that you want to see.  

I guess you are looking to embrace alternate facts.  Make CDC great again Rob.  

Archived