The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

We knew this was coming, but it's still a gut punch:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/news/queen-of-soul-aretha-franklin-has-died/ar-BBM0H9A?li=AAggNb9

Aretha Franklin, the undisputed "Queen of Soul" who sang with matchless style on such classics as "Think," ''I Say a Little Prayer" and her signature song, "Respect," and stood as a cultural icon around the globe, has died at age 76 from advance pancreatic cancer.

So long, Aretha...you really were the Queen....:(

This just makes my blood boil:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/justice/2018/08/18/toddler-rescued-hot-car-overnight-deputy-sot-wxp-vpx.hln/video/playlists/dangers-of-hot-cars/

Newly released dashcam footage shows Florida Deputy Bill Dunn rushing to save a 3-year-old girl who was left inside a hot car overnight. HLN's Jennifer Westhoven has the details.

Several children have died as a result of being left in hot vehicles, yet brain-dead adults still decide that leaving their kids in the car is okay...

Seriously, WTF is the matter with you if you can't figure out that this is a horrible idea.:mad:

• Upvote 1

I would be dead

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/uk-woman-apos-sang-stay-144508895.html

UK woman 'sang to stay awake' after falling off cruise ship
The Canadian Press  The Canadian Press 1 hour 43 minutes ago 

PULA, Croatia — A British woman who fell from a cruise ship and spent 10 hours in the Adriatic Sea at night sang to stay alive, her rescuers said Monday.

The captain of the Croatian rescue ship that found Kay Longstaff, 46, floating some 45 nautical miles off Croatia's coast said "luckily for her we saw her immediately because she raised and waved her hands when she saw us."

Lovro Oreskovic told the Glas Istre portal on Monday that Longstaff told the crew that she practices yoga and that she sang while floating to stay awake.

"It is a real miracle that she is alive," Oreskovic said. "On the cruiser ship they thought she is not. It's obvious that she's very fit."

Longstaff said she fell from the back of the Norwegian Star cruise ship that was sailing toward Venice, Italy, shortly before midnight Saturday. The ship launched a search mission in the area of her fall, but could not find her.

Some 10 hours later, she was rescued by the Croatian coast guard and taken to a hospital in the town of Pula for a 24-hour examination.

Hospital director Irena Hristic said Longstaff has suffered stress, but overall she is in good health.

"The woman looks young, healthy and is a sports person," Hristic said. "She said she swam all the time and was conscious."

Dolores Brenko Skerjanc of the Croatian port authority told state broadcaster HRT that the Adriatic Sea is warm in the summer and that it contributed to the survival.

"She spent a lot of time in the water, but the sea is now quite warm and the chances for survival are better," she said.

Darko Bandic, The Associated Press

15 hours ago, riffraff said:

Naw you’d be good.  Water is warm there.

be dead in an hour or so around here though.:)

5 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

It's not the temperture

its the energy for swimming that would kill me  lol

Don’t women have a naturally higher fat % to total body weight than us men?  This lady sounds like she’s in great shape, but maybe her being female had something to do with her survival too?  A woman would float better than a guy, no?  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t women have a naturally higher fat % to total body weight than us men?  This lady sounds like she’s in great shape, but maybe her being female had something to do with her survival too?  A woman would float better than a guy, no?  

I suppose every body type presents a different scenario but on the average you are probably right.

the lady was described as fit and athletic.  Likely her energy level and strength of mind is what helper her.  I’d wager that athletes are mentally stronger than non athletes.

• Upvote 1

This is both tragic and miraculous at the same time:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/us/toddlers-survive-car-crash/index.html

A 3-year-old boy and his 1-year-old brother were on their own -- possibly for days -- after surviving a single-vehicle crash that killed their mother in south Arkansas.

The older of the two boys was found Monday morning after authorities received a 911 call about a boy who was seen walking by himself in a rural area on a state highway near Camden, Arkansas, Ouachita County Detective Nathan Greeley told CNN.

The boy was covered in cuts and scrapes and appeared to have been outside for an extended period, Greeley said.

"You could tell he was extremely traumatized," Greeley said.

Officials gave the boy a bath, food and a change of clothes and distributed a description of him. A family member contacted the sheriff's office and told authorities that the boy's 1-year-old brother was likely nearby, Greeley said. The relative also said the children's mother had not been seen since going grocery shopping on Thursday.

After going door-to-door in the area where the 3-year-old was found, sheriff's deputies located a vehicle overturned deep in a ravine.

The car was on its side and not visible from the road. The 1-year-old was found inside the car still fastened into his car seat. Greeley told CNN the boy was found alert and responsive. He was removed from the vehicle and transported to a local hospital, Greeley said.

Nearby, deputies discovered the body of a woman who had been ejected from the car. CNN affiliate KARK identified the woman as 25-year-old Lisa Holliman.

The fact that the mom was ejected from the vehicle could be telling.....wear those seatbelts, folks.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:15 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

This is a disturbing story. With all the Muslim bashing that we seem to hear from so many so-called evangelicals.....what that saying about "glass houses"?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/‘they-hid-it-all’-catholic-priests-abused-1000-children-in-pennsylvania-report-says/ar-BBLXtTS?li=AAqARMz

In wake of sex abuse report, Catholic priests relieved God not actually real

Whew that was a close one. I wonder if @189lb enforcers? will argue that this is a cultural phenomenon like he has when it was Muslim offenders.

It's a little hard to believe that the government would call a kid walking his dog "negligent" in this situation:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/idaho-family-says-cyanide-trap-injured-their-son-killed-their-dog/ar-BBMoD8t?li=AAggFp4

The U.S. government is blaming an Idaho family after a federal worker placed an M-44 cyanide trap near the family's home that allegedly injured a teen. Mark and Theresa Mansfield are suing the government for more than $150,000. They say the trap near their home injured their son, Canyon, and killed their dog.

"Every parent wants their child to be able to go outside behind their house, walk their dog… without feeling like they're in danger," Theresa Mansfield said.

Mansfield said her son still suffers from headaches more than a year after the incident, reports CBS News correspondent Anna Werner.

Canyon was playing with his dog, Casey, behind their home in March 2017 when Canyon saw what he described as a sprinkler-like pipe sticking out of the ground.

"So I bend down and I touch it and I hear a pop and then a siss and then that's the gas coming up and like it was orange powder," Canyon told the Idaho State Journal days later.

Canyon said he knew the situation was dangerous, and he tried to call Casey to him, but the dog wasn't getting up.

"I saw this red froth coming from his mouth and like his eyes turning glassy and it was like having a seizure," Canyon said.

According to the family, no one with the government told them the poisonous device was near their backyard. The device was an M-44 cyanide trap designed to protect livestock from predators like coyotes.

According court documents, the device was about 300 yards behind the Mansfield's property on federally managed land. An agriculture department worker acknowledged placing the cyanide trap, and the Associated Press reports the government decided to stop using the traps on federal lands in Idaho months earlier.

In court documents filed on Monday, the government rejected the Mansfield's claims and asked for their lawsuit to be dismissed, claiming the family's negligence led to Casey's death and Canyon's injuries. But Mansfield claims the state of Idaho found federal wildlife services at fault.

"I find it crazy that the state of Idaho fined wildlife services $6,000 for negligence with our case, but yet the U.S. government is saying it's our fault," Mansfield said.

Call it crazy, but if the trap was placed to protect livestock from Coyotes, maybe a warning sign would be appropriate?

I'm pretty sure Coyotes can't read....(Unless they meant Wile E. Coyote, or course)