The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

4 hours ago, inane said:

check back on off-topic and this kind of amateur, lazy trolling still dominates. lame. 

It's not really trolling considering at a minimum it's partially true. True in the sense that he has no problem letting known terrorists live in this country as long as they are "supervised."  Inconvenient to his fan boys, perhaps, but partially true nonetheless.

53 minutes ago, chon derry said:

if your ever down wind from any mother bear unaware of your presents its very interesting, the interaction is exactly like a dog and her puppies ..the largest of the K-9S

Never with a grizz but I’ve stumbled across, literally, black bear cubs....fortunately I was running already and I didn’t see the mom.  I’ve had what I consider three close calls with black bears, as in within 20 or less feet.

edit

i pretty much never run in trails with headphones on anymore.:)

Edited by riffraff

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Never with a grizz but I’ve stumbled across, literally, black bear cubs....fortunately I was running already and I didn’t see the mom.  I’ve had what I consider three close calls with black bears, as in within 20 or less feet.

my dad hit a bear close to you , out on headquarters rd. write off, it was good he got a nicer car. 

Has anyone(on CDC) mentioned the bus full of school kids, bombed & killed in Yemen last wk?(about 50 p, ferGawdsakes!)

****in Saudis. With US weapons, of course. Good thing Trump took part in that 'sword dance' thingy, to keep the relationship strong.

Hockey's important..but is the avg NA'n sports fan always oblivious to western hypocrisy? Wearin' me down, as I hit middle age...

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's not really trolling considering at a minimum it's partially true. True in the sense that he has no problem letting known terrorists live in this country as long as they are "supervised."  Inconvenient to his fan boys, perhaps, but partially true nonetheless.

Trudeau doesn't get to decide whether a Canadian citizen gets to live in this country. No one from the executive branch (ie. any elected official) of our government gets to determine that. Our constitution was specifically put together to remove that power from the hands of politicians and hand it to the judiciary (aka the courts). The courts operate on a concept of due process, ie. it is up to the crown to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that an individual violated our anti-terrorism laws. 

Only lazy right-wing trolls blame Trudeau for something he has nothing to do with, you are better than that. Harper literally wasted millions of dollars despite advice from legal experts that said we could not revoke the citizenship of returning members of ISIS, just to pander to his base. Which approach do you prefer?

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Has anyone(on CDC) mentioned the bus full of school kids, bombed & killed in Yemen last wk?(about 50 p, ferGawdsakes!)

****in Saudis. With US weapons, of course. Good thing Trump took part in that 'sword dance' thingy, to keep the relationship strong.

Hockey's important..but is the avg NA'n sports fan always oblivious to western hypocrisy? Wearin' me down, as I hit middle age...

What has happened in Yemen is a horrific travesty. It just further cements the US as a dealer in slaughter, mayhem, and death. Trumpty Dumbty should be given the business end of the sword by the parents of the children lost in the deplorable mass murder.

Honestly, at this point if the White House was leveled in an attack, I don't think there would be many tears spilt outside of inbred Q disciples sharing a single brain cell.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What has happened in Yemen is a horrific travesty. It just further cements the US as a dealer in slaughter, mayhem, and death. Trumpty Dumbty should be given the business end of the sword by the parents of the children lost in the deplorable mass murder.

Honestly, at this point if the White House was leveled in an attack, I don't think there would be many tears spilt outside of inbred Q disciples sharing a single brain cell.

Heartily agree, PB. Also noticed(just now) that @Warhippy referenced this crime in the Saudi thread. Shout out to that Okanagan lad.

I've grown increasingly disillusioned with the 'modern world' we've set up. To make it even more galling, once respected mass media sources(like Gerald Celente says of NYT.."The toilet-paper, of record!") only serve as a veil to deceive & discombobulate us unwashed masses.

I've posted a lot of anti-western diatribes, over the yrs. I've also had many shiny(rather new) computers go kaput. Should it all disappear today..I'd just read books or go hiking.. I can take it or leave it. But it wouldn't surprise me if we some day discover the degree to which dissenting voices are marginalized/minimized amap. Spidey senses activate increasingly Orwellian-warnings.

So lastly, I wonder if our net-hobbies reduce us to mere ostriches..heads stuck in dirty data of passionate pastimes? There are a lot of agendas at play, but soon I suspect the crap hits the fan.

In Japan, the oppressive summer heat is almost past, & my house-sentence almost served. Think I'll revisit my plans for a lengthy break. Take it easy, man.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Heartily agree, PB. Also noticed(just now) that @Warhippy referenced this crime in the Saudi thread. Shout out to that Okanagan lad.

I've grown increasingly disillusioned with the 'modern world' we've set up. To make it even more galling, once respected mass media sources(like Gerald Celente says of NYT.."The toilet-paper, of record!") only serve as a veil to deceive & discombobulate us unwashed masses.

I've posted a lot of anti-western diatribes, over the yrs. I've also had many shiny(rather new) computers go kaput. Should it all disappear today..I'd just read books or go hiking.. I can take it or leave it. But it wouldn't surprise me if we some day discover the degree to which dissenting voices are marginalized/minimized amap. Spidey senses activate increasingly Orwellian-warnings.

So lastly, I wonder if our net-hobbies reduce us to mere ostriches..heads stuck in dirty data of passionate pastimes? There are a lot of agendas at play, but soon I suspect the crap hits the fan.

In Japan, the oppressive summer heat is almost past, & my house-sentence almost served. Think I'll revisit my plans for a lengthy break. Take it easy, man.

Take it easy, Nux. 

6 hours ago, Toews said:

Trudeau doesn't get to decide whether a Canadian citizen gets to live in this country. No one from the executive branch (ie. any elected official) of our government gets to determine that. Our constitution was specifically put together to remove that power from the hands of politicians and hand it to the judiciary (aka the courts). The courts operate on a concept of due process, ie. it is up to the crown to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that an individual violated our anti-terrorism laws. 

Only lazy right-wing trolls blame Trudeau for something he has nothing to do with, you are better than that. Harper literally wasted millions of dollars despite advice from legal experts that said we could not revoke the citizenship of returning members of ISIS, just to pander to his base. Which approach do you prefer?

Sure he does. At least to some extent, absolutely. We have due process; that never went away. But the new legislation in place for who is eligible for deportation were effectively eroded away. That was literally the whole point of Bill C-6. For example, if you are a dual citizen convicted on terrorism charges of all things, you get to remain in Canada with citizenship. Hence the whole "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian" bollocks. Now you have convicted criminals such as Zakaria Amara among others, traitors against Canada, who get to retain their citizenship instead of deporting their asses back to their homeland. Meanwhile the federal government and Ralph Goodale on Parliament Hill willingly, clearly, complicity let demonstrably known ISIS fighters and traitors to Canada back into Canada. We all know this. No charges, no convictions, no detentions, just "surveillance." This is obviously such lazy, careless governing it is pathetic. If such incompetence and disregard for public well being was demonstrated as such in any other profession, you would be terminated immediately. Instead, it's likely he'll be re-elected..

This is obviously such a simple issue but naturally the idiots in Ottawa have to complicate everything.

• Upvote 1

This is a disturbing story. With all the Muslim bashing that we seem to hear from so many so-called evangelicals.....what that saying about "glass houses"?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/‘they-hid-it-all’-catholic-priests-abused-1000-children-in-pennsylvania-report-says/ar-BBLXtTS?li=AAqARMz

Bishops and other leaders of the Roman Catholic Church in Pennsylvania covered up child sexual abuse by more than 300 priests over a period of 70 years, persuading victims not to report the abuse and law enforcement not to investigate it, according to a searing report issued by a grand jury on Tuesday.

The report, which covered six of the state’s eight Catholic dioceses and found more than 1,000 identifiable victims, is the broadest examination yet by a government agency in the United States of child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. The report said there are likely thousands more victims whose records were lost or who were too afraid to come forward.

It catalogs horrific instances of abuse: a priest who raped a young girl in the hospital after she had her tonsils out; a victim tied up and whipped with leather straps by a priest; and another priest who was allowed to stay in ministry after impregnating a young girl and arranging for her to have an abortion.

31 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is a disturbing story. With all the Muslim bashing that we seem to hear from so many so-called evangelicals.....what that saying about "glass houses"?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/‘they-hid-it-all’-catholic-priests-abused-1000-children-in-pennsylvania-report-says/ar-BBLXtTS?li=AAqARMz

I thought we were angling towards nice stories.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

How about this one? 

A determined Sasquatch tracker goes to court.  

Although, nobody ever wonders if the giant shy hairy dude from the forest wants to be found... I'm sure he would just zip away in his inter-dimensional space ship before he's ever caught.^_^

Bigfoot lawsuit lacks 'an air of reality': B.C. lawyers

Tracker and documentarian Todd Standing appeared in a New Westminster courtroom Tuesday asking Justice Kenneth Ball to order a trial where Standing says he’ll present evidence “way beyond a reasonable doubt” that sasquatch exist.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/bigfoot-lawsuit-lacks-an-air-of-reality-b-c-lawyers-1.4053581

25 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

How about this one? 

A determined Sasquatch tracker goes to court.  

Although, nobody ever wonders if the giant shy hairy dude from the forest wants to be found... I'm sure he would just zip away in his inter-dimensional space ship before he's ever caught.^_^

Bigfoot lawsuit lacks 'an air of reality': B.C. lawyers

Tracker and documentarian Todd Standing appeared in a New Westminster courtroom Tuesday asking Justice Kenneth Ball to order a trial where Standing says he’ll present evidence “way beyond a reasonable doubt” that sasquatch exist.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/bigfoot-lawsuit-lacks-an-air-of-reality-b-c-lawyers-1.4053581

I love these people.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/walk-in-the-woods-japan-toddler-missing-for-3-days-found-alive/ar-BBLYOdE?li=AAggNb9

A 2-year-old boy who went missing in woods in western Japan has been found unharmed after three days alone, apparently surviving on river water as volunteers hunted desperately for him.

Yoshiki Fujimoto disappeared on Sunday morning in the Yamaguchi region while out walking with his brother and grandfather, and the search for him made headlines nationwide.

Police and locals combed the woods looking for him, but it was a 78-year-old volunteer from a neighboring region who stumbled upon the toddler on Wednesday morning.

"I shouted 'Yo-chan'," Haruo Obata told local television, a red towel wrapped around his head against the summer heat.

"He replied 'yes, here' and there he was," added Obata, a retiree who said he regularly volunteers in disaster relief efforts.

The toddler was sitting on a rock, with his bare feet in a small puddle of water in front of him, Obata said.

"At first, I didn't think it was a human," he told reporters. "But there he was. I thought my heart was going to stop."

The toddler's miraculous survival is all the more astonishing given the hot weather in Japan in recent weeks, with local media saying the temperature where he went missing hit 34 degrees Celsius (93 degrees Fahrenheit) during his three-day ordeal.

The woodland area has creeks and rivers, and some media speculated the resourceful tot, who turned 2 on Monday while he was missing, survived by drinking from them.

"He doesn't have any major injuries, just a few scratches and slight dehydration," said Hiroyuki Nishihara, an official at the local hospital treating Fujimoto.

"But his life isn't in danger and he will be able to leave the hospital very soon."

:towel:

• Thanks 1