The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Reminds me I had so much winding up my cousin around that age. He would get mad and hit me, and I would just laugh to egg him on. Then he would really wind up and go at it and I would only laugh harder. Then he would cry and run to his mom. :lol:

I know this kid is six.  Does a six year old have control of their emotions?  I can’t believe the principal is a keen on pressing charges.  How in the hell is a six year old responsible enough to have charges pressed against them?  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know this kid is six.  Does a six year old have control of their emotions?  I can’t believe the principal is a keen on pressing charges.  How in the hell is a six year old responsible enough to have charges pressed against them?  

I have seen kids who are extremely calm at that age and others that are little tyrants. Even a 6 year old can do some damage with a weapon though, not that I am implying that has been the case in this instance. But in some scenarios where I can see a 6 year old getting charged, if it maybe as means to intervene if a kid has serious issues that aren't being dealt with at all at home for one reason or another. 

Edited by Toews

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

She is six.  It’s insane that Florida arrests six year old children.  Seriously, how is that even possible?  I mean this kid is six.  I really don’t care what she did.  She’s six.  She goes into state care, like a hospital or such, but that’s it.  How about the police officer gives the kid a safe ride home to her grandmother?  Let the kid sit up front and enjoy the ride.  She’s six!  This is nuts.  

For sure it’s crazy.

im just trying to make the point that there is a difference between a toddler meltdown at the rice table and a 6 year old hitting three adult employees.  That is an indicator of underlying issues/problems with upbringing and or the emotional behaviour/coping skills of the child.

good chance that this isn’t the first incident and not the last.

Just now, riffraff said:

For sure it’s crazy.

im just trying to make the point that there is a difference between a toddler meltdown at the rice table and a 6 year old hitting three adult employees.  That is an indicator of underlying issues/problems with upbringing and or the emotional behaviour/coping skills of the child.

good chance that this isn’t the first incident and not the last.

Agreed, so send the kid for counseling, or something like that.  Handcuffing and arresting is going to make things worse.  This is a six year old.  Like you point out, she needs help. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed, so send the kid for counseling, or something like that.  Handcuffing and arresting is going to make things worse.  This is a six year old.  Like you point out, she needs help. 

Yes the police should never have been involved.

there are steps that can be taken to avoid her having to ever have to deal with police.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

That didn’t happen here though.

im not suggesting the police involvement is warranted in any way.

but at 6 there is a difference between a tantrum and total lack of respect for anyone.  Tantrums are for toddlers. A 6 year old is not a toddler.

as a big an issue as the wrong doing by the police so is the total failure on behalf of the parents for allowing this child to behave in such away that she thinks it’s ok to hit anyone including adults because she didn’t get her way.

is this the start of her hatred for police/authority or a wake up call for those who look after her?

i have a six year old girl right now and on my fathers grave she hasn’t even hit a single person of any age anywhere at any time.

kids have zero respect for adults and authority or even older kids today.

FWIW, I have three daughters...they're all adults now, but they were all 6 at one point.

As far as the rest of your post goes, we'll have to agree to disagree. I think its pretty common for a 6 year old to hit someone.

• Cheers 1

I know the father of a high up SpaceEx executive. He showed me video of the assembly plant for the rocket that will take 100 people to Mars. They are already working on 2  ships which will actually launch with people on board. These guys are engineers and speak a language I don’t understand. Pretty exciting non the less.

I dunno if this was in the article before, but it says now (well, when I read it this afternoon) that the cop was fired over this, for not following procedure.

So, obviously his ziptying the brat was not sanctioned.

59 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I dunno if this was in the article before, but it says now (well, when I read it this afternoon) that the cop was fired over this, for not following procedure.

So, obviously his ziptying the brat was not sanctioned.

I mean the zip tying alone is appalling.

he must have felt so threatened by her two free arms.

As if we needed another example of the pending apocalypse, first Trump, then the Corona virus and now the unthinkable has happened in Ireland:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ireland-reports-the-first-venomous-snake-bite-in-its-history-right-before-st-patricks-day/ar-BB10MlBd?li=AAggFp5

Honestly, a millennium and a half? That's it? :huh:

They just don't make Saints like they used to.....<_<

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Something tells me this guy's fear of flying probably isn't going to get better anytime soon:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/france-fighter-jet-ejection-scli-intl/index.html

A surprise company outing to an air base caused a 64-year-old French man so much stress that he flung himself from a fighter jet in midair, grabbing the ejector button in a panic and tumbling through the skies above France before landing in a field.
The man had been surprised by employees at his firm, who had organized a joyride in a Dassault Rafale B jet for him as a treat.
But they apparently didn't know their colleague as well as they thought. Once the man arrived at the Saint-Dizier air base in northeastern France and realized what his co-workers had arranged, he began to feel extremely stressed, according to a fairly remarkable aviation accident report by a French government agency.
The unnamed man had never expressed any desire to fly in a fighter jet and had no previous military aviation experience, investigators discovered.
And thanks to a watch he was wearing which could measure his heart rate, investigators noticed that "his heart was in full tachycardia" before the flight, with a recorded heart rate ranging from 136 to 142 beats per minute.
But the man went through with the ride, joining a three-plane training exercise as a passenger. The Rafale B is used by the French air force, and has a maximum speed of nearly 1,400 kilometers per hour (870 miles per hour).
When the jet was 2,500 feet above ground and the pilot began to climb, the passenger panicked and reached for something to hold onto.
Unfortunately, that something was the ejector seat button -- and the 64-year-old flew from the fighter jet.
To make matters worse, he had not securely attached his helmet, which went flying in midair.
Fortunately, the man avoided seriously injury after tumbling to earth in a field near the German border.
Investigators concluded that the error was caused by an involuntary reflex, prompted by stress and the jet's sudden movement.
The pilot was not ejected and managed to land the plane safely, despite suffering some minor facial injuries during the ordeal.
The passenger, meanwhile, was taken to a nearby hospital after the flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Really BIG news!

Spoiler

Woman's breast implant deflects bullet, saving her life

A woman who survived a close-range gunshot wound to the chest was saved because of her silicone breast implants, doctors believe. 

In a case study published to the SAGE medical journal last week, doctors described how a silicone breast implant deflected a bullet away from a 30-year-old woman's vital organs.

The incident, which took place in 2018 in Toronto, Canada, is one of only a handful of instances recorded in medical literature where a breast implant played a role in saving a patient's life, and the first recorded instance of a silicone implant doing so, surgeon Giancarlo McEvenue told CNN.

Doctors noted that the silicone implant was likely responsible for deflecting the bullet's trajectory -- ultimately saving the woman's life.

Hear that ladies? It's a matter of life and death!

Git 'er done!

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news for a change:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/a-desperate-search-for-a-missing-3-year-old-ends-with-a-wonderful-word-doggy/ar-BB13nOdu?li=AAggNb9

Const. Dan Berube and his police service dog, Jynx, were battling thick brush, downed logs and a steep hillside, the officer sometimes clinging to the leash as he was pulled across the heavy mud.

The pair had been called Monday to an area near Highway 357 in Musquodoboit Harbour, N.S., to join the search for a three-year-old girl who was missing after wandering away from home and into the woods.

"In my mind it was so thick and so hard to navigate through that I was ready to pretty much determine that no human would go through there," Berube said Wednesday.

Police had issued a public appeal that afternoon for any information that would help locate the little girl, bringing fresh distress to a province still reeling from the mass shooting little more than a week earlier. Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency even sent a drone team to the area.

But thanks to a keen canine and his Halifax Regional Police handler, the search would end happily.

When Berube first got the call on Monday, he and Jynx were training with other canine units. After arriving on scene, the other first responders out scouring the woods were called back, as dogs often work better with fewer people around.

"If there's a lot of human scent in there, it gets harder for us to find the actual person we're looking for," Berube said.

In his training, Berube had learned that young children who are lost often go downhill. But he said the girl's mother had told another officer that the child was a climber and was most likely heading uphill.

"So I went with mom's gut. I have children of my own and I know my children best, and I figured mom knows her daughter best as well," Berube said.

Once he had gathered what information he could, Berube and Jynx headed into the woods.

"You don't really know where to start, it's a needle in a haystack. Sometimes you'll have certain indicators, footprints in snow if you're lucky," he said. "In this case, we had no starting point."

They started up a hill, accompanied by an RCMP officer. But any time Jynx picked up a scent, it was heading back to the girl's house, leading Berube to believe the dog was smelling previous officers in the woods.

Battling through branches and traipsing through mud, the officer decided to clear the hilltop.

That's when Jynx started to track another scent. Berube called to the RCMP officer to hurry. Then he heard a faint "hello."

"I thrashed harder and my dog led me to where she was — and here she was in the middle of absolutely nowhere, a whole bunch of pine brush around her and she was just standing there," Berube said.

"The first thing she said was, 'Doggy.' I just hugged her."

The girl was wet and shivering. Berube took off his jacket and wrapped it around her.

"Her curly hair was starting to stretch out because of the weight of the water in there. She had two mismatched boots and she was just standing there," he said. "Not crying, she didn't seem fearful, she was asking for daddy and mommy."

An RCMP officer carried the young girl out of the woods and back to her parents.

"I can't imagine one of my children not being home for dinner, not home at night," Berube said. "I wasn't going to let this one slide."

As for Jynx, he was given a treat for doing his job well.

"Just another day at work for him," Berube said.

Way to go, Jynx! (and officer Berube) :)

• Huggy Bear 1

This does not look good. Hoping for the best:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canadian-armed-forces-confirms-contact-lost-with-cyclone-helicopter-near-greece/ar-BB13o8O3?li=AAggNb9

A Canadian military helicopter serving with a NATO naval task force has reportedly crashed in the Ionian Sea while participating in a mission in international waters off Greece.

Local media reports claim the aircraft is a Canadian military helicopter with six people aboard.

A tweet from Canadian Armed Forces operations confirmed there was an incident involving one of their CH-148 Cyclone helicopters.

"Contact was lost with the aircraft as it was participating in Allied exercises off the coast of Greece," the military said on Twitter and Facebook. "Search and rescue efforts are currently underway."

A spokeswoman for NATO provided little in the way of comment.

"I confirm there has been an incident involving a helicopter from a ship under NATO command," said Col. Juanita Chang, chief of public affairs at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers.

"There is currently a search and rescue operation being conducted and national notifications taking place."