The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

On 5/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

1A073049-4226-4E8B-BBC9-528C729D5D9F.gif.6a49cb21deb713606c21699b2b96268e.gif

That’s racist, and I’ve been suspended for less. 
- Report yourself. 

There’s also some ageism mixed into this, but hey, different rules for you apparently. 

The jokes on her... the next President will be another old white man for her to despise if he is unable to alter to systemic racism that has plagued the US for decades.  

On 5/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

1A073049-4226-4E8B-BBC9-528C729D5D9F.gif.6a49cb21deb713606c21699b2b96268e.gif

That’s racist, and I’ve been suspended for less. 
- Report yourself. 

There’s also some ageism mixed into this, but hey, different rules for you apparently. 

No, it’s not.

Educate yourself please.  

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Chicken. said:

The jokes on her... the next President will be another old white man for her to despise if he is unable to alter to systemic racism that has plagued the US for decades.  

No single person will be able to end systemic racism in any place, let alone any elected leader. They, however, could provide the leadership to allow others to follow. Even then, though, it will only be altered if the majority of people address the issues that allow for systemic racism.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

No, it’s not.

Educate yourself please.  

Judging a person based upon their race (white) isn’t racism anymore?

Which indoc camp, or University, are you at? 

Whatever, I’m not interested in a response.
(It’s clear how you think. What you think is irrelevant at this point)

On 6/1/2020 at 9:07 AM, Chicken. said:

Maybe the majority population in the USA is interested in modelling their civilization and culture after some others’ around the world instead of the West’s values and culture. 

Looking forward to the vote. 
A real-time social engineering project is fascinating. Those tied to their hand-held devices are the best bang for the entertainment-buck on here, which are ridiculously easy to spot. That old NPC meme is still paying dividends. 

13 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The person in question was being judged on the basis of his being scumbag, not his skin color.

The word "white" was used descriptively, not pejoratively....

42 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

No, again, it’s not. Learn the difference between prejudice(aka prejudgments) and racism. 

Also, educate yourself with the concept of ‘systemic relationship of power’ in relation to white people and non-whites, particularly in America. 

It’s too bad you don’t want to hear my response and have made up your mind as to what and how I think. 

And my University days are long over, Sonny Jim. My days dealing with ignorance or the ignorant apparently aren’t, unfortunately. 

22 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

No single person will be able to end systemic racism in any place, let alone any elected leader. They, however, could provide the leadership to allow others to follow. Even then, though, it will only be altered if the majority of people address the issues that allow for systemic racism.

I agree - certainly not in 100 days like this sleepy old white man claims he will be able to address it in.  If they don't vote for him then they ain't black :P

9 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I agree - certainly not in 100 days like this sleepy old white man claims he will be able to address it in.  If they don't vote for him then they ain't black :P

Promising to address something is a far cry from promising to fix it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Promising to address something is a far cry from promising to fix it.

seemed implied to me, but I wonder if Trump creates any similar initiatives to nationalize police oversight after the riot/looting ends 

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

It’s better for old white men to be part of the solution than continue to be part of the problem vis-a-vis institutionalized and systemic racism. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Chicken. said:

He was VP to the first POTUS of colour... but nothing has really changed.  

Biden is just pandering for votes.  

Be wary when someone from the upper echelon of power said they're going to "fix society".

Change has to occur from the bottom up, not from the top. 

If people voted more in civic elections, donated time/money to local issues, sign petitions, be more engaged in their local community... that would do more than any vote for POTUS, protesting, etc.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Be wary when someone from the upper echelon of power said they're going to "fix society".

If people voted more in civic elections, donated time/money to local issues, sign petitions, be more engaged in their local community... that would do more than any vote for POTUS, protesting, etc.  

I don't see anything in that Tweet that tells me Biden says he's going to "fix society". I know he must have said it though, because you put it in quotes. Maybe you could link us to a source where he actually says that?

"Pandering for votes"....I hope I never get quite so cynical that my default setting is that a politician can't possibly truly care about an issue.....must be a bleak place to be....

Agree with the bottom up stuff though. 33%

Edited by RUPERTKBD

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Totally agree. People have to commit to political involvement or politicians will take advantage. We developed a constituency org under Reform. Leading to the 2nd election it became clear we would win the riding even tho we only polled 6% in the first effort. The candidate selection process was a eye opener. We had candidates coming forward who had no involvement in the Reform Party, weren't even members for any period of time. What they saw was a very developed org they thought they could have with promises and some fast talk. The great thing was our membership was involved and informed. Didn't fall for it and the eventual nominee was a 2 year, involved, member. He went on to win the riding and sat for around 18 years.

What is going on the USA is an attempted insurrection IMHO. At some point Americans will have to decide what they stand for. Rioting, looting, attacks on the state or the rule of law. Do Americans value their republic and the values it is based on or not. These thinly veiled attacks on the Trump admin are trying to scare and influence opinion. The November election is 5 months away and Trump can be defeated then without destroying the country. Obviously that is not good enough for those organizing this insurrection.  

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't see anything in that Tweet that tells me Biden says he's going to "fix society". I know he must have said it though, because you put it in quotes. Maybe you could link us to a source where he actually says that?

"Pandering for votes"....I hope I never get quite so cynical that my default setting is that a politician can't possibly truly care about an issue.....must be a bleak place to be....

Agree with the bottom up stuff though. 33%

I should have worded it better... he didn't say "fix society".... I meant that he intends to fix some of society's ills.  

As for the vote pandering part.... it was just a couple of weeks back when Joe Biden said when asked why black voters should choose him instead of Trump, "If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black."

I'm always cynical when politicians says they'll do something... because government for the most part are just the extension of society, like a dog's tail... and the tail doesn't wag the dog.  

If you have the best system in place to help the black community, but it all boils down to societal pressures.  There is a Charles Barkley interview where he mentioned when talking to high school students about what they want to be when they grow up.... for predominantly white schools, the students talked about growing up to be doctors, lawyers, etc.  For black schools, they talked about growing up to be sports athletes and rappers.  

Or even some of Chris Rock's old comedy specials, especially his part about the difference between black people and "n----rs".  

Education is more or less the ultimate equalizer in terms of outcome.  Some segment of society values it way more than others, and the one that values it more tends to do better than those that doesn't (eg. Asians vs Blacks).  Until the stigma of being an "Uncle Tom" is removed from black society or the general acceptance that a non-nuclear family unit (2 parents instead of just 1) is acceptable, the black community will continue to be lower on the socio-economic level. 

16 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I should have worded it better... he didn't say "fix society".... I meant that he intends to fix some of society's ills.  

As for the vote pandering part.... it was just a couple of weeks back when Joe Biden said when asked why black voters should choose him instead of Trump, "If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black."

I'm always cynical when politicians says they'll do something... because government for the most part are just the extension of society, like a dog's tail... and the tail doesn't wag the dog.  

If you have the best system in place to help the black community, but it all boils down to societal pressures.  There is a Charles Barkley interview where he mentioned when talking to high school students about what they want to be when they grow up.... for predominantly white schools, the students talked about growing up to be doctors, lawyers, etc.  For black schools, they talked about growing up to be sports athletes and rappers.  

Or even some of Chris Rock's old comedy specials, especially his part about the difference between black people and "n----rs".  

Education is more or less the ultimate equalizer in terms of outcome.  Some segment of society values it way more than others, and the one that values it more tends to do better than those that doesn't (eg. Asians vs Blacks).  Until the stigma of being an "Uncle Tom" is removed from black society or the general acceptance that a non-nuclear family unit (2 parents instead of just 1) is acceptable, the black community will continue to be lower on the socio-economic level. 

We're in agreement about the grassroots approach, but I disagree that the "you ain't black" gaffe proves that JB is insincere in his desire to make things better.

Agree to disagree on that point.

How on earth does a 7 year old get ahold of the keys to a car.....:picard:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/us/car-crash-children-trnd/index.html

A 7-year-old boy and his 6-year-old brother were killed in a fatal car crash after they took their grandparents' car out for a ride, authorities said.

The car, which was a 2007 Buick LaCrosse, was totaled and the children were pronounced dead at the scene Friday, Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. Andy Bell told CNN.
The siblings were driving on a road in Jackson County, east of Kansas City. At some point, the car traveled off the right side of the road and struck the ground becoming airborne, the highway patrol said.
The vehicle struck a guardrail before hitting the ground again and becoming airborne for a second time.
The vehicle then struck a guy-wire -- a tensioned cable that is designed to add stability to a freestanding structure -- began to overturn, struck a tree and then came to rest off the road on its top before catching fire.
The children were not wearing seat belts.
The accident occurred at approximately 4:20 p.m.; the names of the victims were not released.

:sadno: