The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I just thought you'd feel more at home....

Big city....cold....lots of people who support Trump....

Nah, Clinton got about 54% of votes where I live, I am more of city dweller.
I would definitely feel more at home in GVA, or Vancouver island.

My wife has family that lives out in Williams Lake, Prince George and 100 mile house, not my cup of tea.

Some things just make you fear for humanity:

https://life.shared.com/1-year-old-boy-found-in-a-cage-covered-in-feces-during-animal-rescue-operation

An animal-cruelty mission in Henry County turned out to be even more heartbreaking as deputies discovered a toddler living inside a dog cage in horrific conditions, WTVF reported. Authorities went to the home after receiving an anonymous tip about possible animal cruelty. Little did they expect to find a human child in deplorable living conditions. Henry County Sheriff Monte Belew said that a one and a half-year-old boy was found in a 4x4 cage in the living room. He did not have any toys or blankets.  “Everything that child possessed or played with was in that kennel,” Belew said. "With all of the law enforcement experience up here, it's hard to find something that actually shocks us," he said. "I've never seen this before, and I can guarantee the gentlemen up here with me have never seen this before."

002f53d0-bab5-11ea-92d4-7b9fdaa6fe11_800_420.jpeg

What officials discovered seemed to go from bad to worse. Numerous animals ( more than 600!) were also found in horrendous living conditions. Belew said three buckets filled with hundreds of mice were propped up next to the boy's cage. There was a 10-foot boa constrictor just three feet to the left. They found at least eight snakes in the room. 15-20 dogs were found running loose, along with feces on the floor. The place was described as "unlivable" and there were thousands of cockroaches and maggots. 

According to Fox 17, the mother of the child Heather Scarbough, 42, the stepfather, Thomas Jefferson Brown, 46, and Charles Brown, 82, TJ's dad, are all facing felony charges. These include aggravated child abuse and aggravated cruelty to animals, possession of a firearm while committing another felony, manufacturing marijuana, drug paraphernalia, and additional cruelty to animals. More charges are likely to follow. The child's cage had an overwhelming smell of urine that was littered with crawling bugs. It seemed he was living there for some time. Sheriff Belew said when Brown was arrested he was worried about getting his animals back and did not ask about the child. "In a single-wide trailer in the living room you've got a kid caged, you've got 8 snakes and you've got the snakes feed butted up against the child's cage," Sheriff Belew said. " Eight snakes in the same room, then mice running everywhere." Another official confessed that the scene was even more heartwrenching as the child was "living just like the animals." There were also 127 marijuana plants and 17 guns found on the property. Brown is a convicted felon and is facing an additional gun charge, Belew said.

Sheriff Monte Belew recalled the incident to reporters at a press conference on Friday morning. He and his team knew something was awry as soon as they stepped into the property and had to “weave” their way through debris, grass, and multiple animals to get to the front door. “As I looked through the front door, I can see a child in a dog kennel,” he recalled. “Obviously, (by) the looks of the kennel, you could tell the child stays in there a lot.” The 10-foot snake "could’ve easily suffocated that child if it got a chance,” he said. “I can’t believe people could actually survive and live in these unlivable conditions,” Belew said. The boy appeared to be starving and was soon sent to the state department of children’s services.

<_<

On 6/19/2020 at 11:55 AM, nuckin_futz said:

The Aussies had the audacity to demand an investigation into the origins of the pandemic. China's response was to lose their sh** and threaten Australia. Taking actions against them via trade etc. It's been pretty eye opening how much vitriol they have throw Oz's way.

These authoritarian regimes learn from what they see. China saw the reaction when Canada criticized Saudi Arabia over human rights. Saudi went completely nuts and no one came to Canada's defense.  So they figure they can push Australia around. And they're probably right.

China and Saudi Arabia are two of the most vile governments on the face of the earth. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Very sad but what a touching tribute.

Thousands of video game players gather as their avatars for virtual vigil inside World of Warcraft cathedral after beloved Twitch streamer Byron ‘Reckful' Bernstein, 31, 'commits suicide'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8485121/Beloved-Twitch-streamer-Byron-Reckful-Bernstein-31-dies-suicide.html

Reminds me of the book./movie Ready Player One with all the avatars gathering. 

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Very sad but what a touching tribute.

Thousands of video game players gather as their avatars for virtual vigil inside World of Warcraft cathedral after beloved Twitch streamer Byron ‘Reckful' Bernstein, 31, 'commits suicide'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8485121/Beloved-Twitch-streamer-Byron-Reckful-Bernstein-31-dies-suicide.html

Reminds me of the book./movie Ready Player One with all the avatars gathering. 

The context of why he ended up doing it is disgusting and proves how awful a part of the internet/twitch community can be.

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The context of why he ended up doing it is disgusting and proves how awful a part of the internet/twitch community can be.

I don't know anything about him. What was the context? was he pressured to commit suicide? It doesn't say much in the article. 

I just came across the story and thought the gathering of avatars was touching. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I don't know anything about him. What was the context? was he pressured to commit suicide? It doesn't say much in the article. 

He was dealing with mental health issues. He proposed to an ex-gf on social media and the twitch community, mainly the reddit thread "LivestreamFail" ridiculed and made fun of him. He committed suicide less than 48 hours after.

He was one of Twitch's first big streamers and a huge figure in the World of Warcraft community. He had a big impact on a lot of the streamers in the community.

Reckful’s death leads to Twitch subreddit r/LivestreamFail addressing its history of harassment

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/651870-reckful-death-twitch-reddit-livestreamfail

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He was dealing with mental health issues. He proposed to an ex-gf on social media and the twitch community, mainly the reddit thread "LivestreamFail" ridiculed and made fun of him. He committed suicide less than 48 hours after.

He was one of Twitch's first big streamers and a huge figure in the World of Warcraft community. He had a big impact on a lot of the streamers in the community.

Reckful’s death leads to Twitch subreddit r/LivestreamFail addressing its history of harassment

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/651870-reckful-death-twitch-reddit-livestreamfail

Oh man, that is awful.

I understand your comment now, and I agree. 

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

7 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I know the name from my wowcrack days but didn’t hear the news or the circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I used to be addicted to WoW as well, it's not healthy spending all that time in front of a screen.   I notice with these online personalities that most aren't mentally stable.   

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I used to be addicted to WoW as well, it's not healthy spending all that time in front of a screen.   I notice with these online personalities that most aren't mentally stable.   

I agree. I think it (WoW) gives them an escape in a way, from said troubles/issues. While in no way would my own personal issues rise to the same extreme as some others, I found that being immersed in the WoW universe did help sometimes. That said it does become an addiction really quick (damn 15 day free trial) and stole many years of my life. 

• Cheers 1

Speaking of killers.....WTF is wrong with some people? :picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/police-mother-admits-to-starving-daughter-dumping-body/ar-BB16xwdu?li=AAggFp4

A Maryland woman accused of starving her 15-month-old daughter for more than three weeks has been charged with first-degree murder in the toddler’s death, police said Thursday.

Kiearra Tolson, 23, of Silver Spring, told investigators that she placed her daughter’s body in a plillowcase and trash bags after she died last month and discarded the chlld’s body in a dumpster at her apartment complex, the Montgomery County Police Department said in a news release.

Tolson also told investigators that she had starved her daughter, Blair Niles, for approximately three-and-a-half weeks, police said.

The child’s body hasn’t been recovered, but police said investigators found evidence in Tolson's apartment corroborating her account. A court filing says police found a pillow without a pillowcase in Tolson's apartment.

Tolson was arrested Wednesday after an acquaintance called 911 to report that Tolson had told her that she killed her child, according to police.

The child’s father told investigators that he last saw his daughter on April 17 and hadn’t had any contact with Tolson since then.

State District Court Judge John Moffett ordered Tolson held without bond at a hearing Thursday, according to Ramon Korionoff, a spokesman for Montgomery County State's Attorney John McCarthy. Korionoff said a public defender represented Tolson at the hearing. A message left with the public defender's office wasn't immediately returned. Tolson is due back in court on July 16 for a bond review hearing.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of families looking to adopt and this is what you decide to do? :sadno:

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Speaking of killers.....WTF is wrong with some people? :picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/police-mother-admits-to-starving-daughter-dumping-body/ar-BB16xwdu?li=AAggFp4

There are hundreds, if not thousands of families looking to adopt and this is what you decide to do? :sadno:

Some people are just scary on the inside and the outside.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/trending/ohio-sheriffs-office-searching-armed-dangerous-attempted-murder-suspect-covered-facial-tattoos/UAHEKXMMMVCS5I5P3GGJ42XK3I/

image.thumb.jpeg.e38881fe0432010c4869907ff1b2a348.jpeg