The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

Alberta prohibition ended a century ago, except in one small area, where it ended just last month

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/prohibition-southern-alberta-cardston-bill-two-1.5645285

I didn't need to read the article first to guess that this is some religious area.

I don't know why counties are allowed to impose their own set of laws that supersede the freedoms granted to all Canadians.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Alberta prohibition ended a century ago, except in one small area, where it ended just last month

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/prohibition-southern-alberta-cardston-bill-two-1.5645285

I didn't need to read the article first to guess that this is some religious area.

I don't know why counties are allowed to impose their own set of laws that supersede the freedoms granted to all Canadians.

So weird.....it's like if Alabama had it's own little Utah.....

• Haha 2

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/graffiti-on-monument-commemorating-nazi-ss-division-being-investigated-as-a-hate-crime-by-police/wcm/957b5e7e-e26f-46f0-92a4-6e26842dbd23/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

So, in what’s probably the most 2020 news story you’ll see today, somebody spray painted the words “Nazi war monument” on an actual Nazi war monument in Oakville, Ontario, and it’s getting investigated as a hate crime. 

As if 2020 wasn't already the worst year in recent history, today I read a story about how Alex Trebek's condition is worsening. He plans to stop treatment if his current course doesn't work....

For those who don't follow the show religiously (as I do) Trebek had been continuing to host Jeopardy while undergoing treatment. If you looked closely enough, you could see that he was wearing a hairpiece.

When Covid 19 hit, they stopped taping and ran through the episodes they had remaining. After those ran out, they started airing reruns. (I watched James Holzhauer win the Tournament of Champions last night)

We probably won't be back to new Jeopardy episodes for quite some time and when we finally do, it will probably be without Alex Trebek as host.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/alex-trebek-says-he-will-stop-treatment-if-current-cancer-treatments-dont-work/ar-BB16Slzg?li=AAggNb9

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Huggy Bear 2

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/07/18/highway-93-bus-rollover-multiple-injuries/

JASPER, Alta. — RCMP say three passengers were killed when a glacier sightseeing bus rolled over at one of the most popular attractions in the Rocky Mountains, the Columbia Icefields.

Cpl. Leigh Drinkwater says there were a total of 27 passengers on the vehicle when it crashed.

In addition to the three deaths, 14 people suffered life-threatening injuries and 10 other people on the bus are hurt.

Drinkwater says getting updates from the scene is difficult due to unreliable cellular service in the mountains, but he says the ice explorer apparently rolled, and that critically injured patients were taken to Calgary by air and ground ambulances.

The iconic red and white coaches, which look like buses with monster-truck tires, regularly take tourists up a rough road onto the Athabasca Glacier.

Tanya Otis, a spokeswoman for Pursuit, the company that runs the ice explorers, says one of the off-road vehicles overturned early in the afternoon on its way to the Athabasca Glacier and that the company is supporting the efforts of first responders.

STARS air ambulance spokeswoman Fatima Khawaja says it sent choppers from its bases in Edmonton, Calgary and Grande Prairie.

Rob Kanty and his family were in the parking lot at 1:30 p.m. after completing a tour of the Columbia Icefield when they were told they had to leave immediately.

“We were asked all of a sudden to leave,” he says.

“We got back in our car, we took a look up the glacier and I could still see the dust and the rocks sliding. So right away we knew there was a rockslide on part of the road that goes up to the glacier. Then, unfortunately after looking a little bit further we could see one of the coaches had rolled down from the rockslide and was sitting on its roof at the bottom of the rockslide. There’s rocks on either side of you, you’re on the side of the mountain so definitely the rock slide would have pretty much hit the side of the snow coach and pushed the snow coach off the road and down an embankment towards the bottom.”

Kanty says each coach holds about 20 people due to reduced capacity to facilitate social distancing and notes there are no seatbelts.

“They’re beautiful machines, but they’re all windows, all glass, have very high centre of gravity. So, unfortunately, if that thing ever tips over like it did it’d be pretty tough on the people inside for sure.”

Pretty crazy that this happened an hour before my gf and I arrived to the Ice fields yesterday. Didn’t know what was happening at the time (just was told that we had to leave right away) but from there to Banff I counted about 18 EMS, national park vehicles and ambulances on the way to the site. Took a pic of the Ice Fields when I was in the parking lot and saw two busses stalled on the field because the one that rolled over is in the embankment below. Very humbled and blessed that we took our time to the fields as it could’ve been us in that bus. 

0A3B4418-581E-48B8-8F68-31B61E8597E0.png

6E400E21-D9FC-4444-A737-D5C31E061D85.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Huggy Bear 1

Not sure how many people here have been following the story about the Amber Alert in Quebec and the subsequent discovery of the bodies of two young girls....the girls' father has finally been located after a search that lasted several days:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/questions-remain-after-police-find-body-thought-to-be-dad-of-dead-quebec-girls/ar-BB170IkG?li=AAggFp5

Many questions remain in the case of a Quebec father whose body was found hours after the funeral for his two young daughters. 

Provincial police announced on Twitter Monday night they found what they believe is the body of fugitive Martin Carpentier in the area of St-Apollinaire, Que., southwest of Quebec City.

Police said it appears Carpentier took his own life, but did not offer further information or say how he'd gone undetected during an intense 10-day manhunt.

The discovery came 12 days after Carpentier and his daughters were involved in a car crash on the evening of July 8 in St-Apollinaire, but nobody was inside the vehicle when responders reached the scene.

An Amber Alert was triggered the next day, but lifted on July 11 when the bodies of Norah, 11, and Romy, 6, were found in the woods in the same town.

On Monday afternoon, hundreds gathered for the funeral of the two girls, which took place in their hometown of Levis, Que.

The car accident angle is odd, but all signs seem to point to a murder / suicide.

I don't believe in heaven and hell, but at times like this, I wish I was wrong. Hell is exactly where someone like this belongs......:angry:

I'm one of those people who like to poke fun at Albertans, but this is yet another blow to the province and I'm thinking maybe mother nature can give these guys a break?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topstories/many-crops-in-distress-leduc-county-declares-state-of-agricultural-disaster/ar-BB176DmB?li=AAggNb9

Heavy rain has local farmers struggling to stay afloat with 65 per cent of barley crops, 50 per cent of canola crops and 35 per cent of wheat crops in poor condition as of July 9, say Leduc County officials who on Thursday declared a municipal state of agricultural disaster.

There are areas of Leduc County where a 55-year record for spring precipitation has now been broken, says a Thursday news release from the municipal district.

“This has lead to more than 220 quarter sections (each quarter section is 160 acres, for a total of 35,200 acres) not being seeded and many crops in distress. It’s our hope that making this declaration will bring awareness to the issue and encourage other levels of government to provide support where possible,” Leduc County Mayor Tanni Doblanko said in a statement.

From May 1 to July 9, precipitation recorded at four weather stations within the county that borders Edmonton to the south showed at least 100 millimetres more rain than the long-term average for that time period.

Aaron Van Beers, the county’s manager of agricultural services, adds that even crops that are flourishing right now are at risk as “farmers aren’t able to get onto their fields to cut or bale because the ground is too saturated for heavy equipment.

“If this wet weather continues, many of the crops that are in fair condition will degrade in quality as well.”

Poor crop conditions are defined as fields with less than 60 per cent of healthy plants.

Wet weather during harvest season caused the county in September 2019 to declare a previous state of agricultural disaster.

I can relate to the wet weather. I don't know what the record for precipitation is for July in my area of the province, but I'm guessing that we're giving it a run for it's money this year.

2020 keeps on 2020ing....<_<

Edited by RUPERTKBD

7 minutes ago, Kakanucks said:

Around 260 Chinese fishing vessels off the protected zone of Galapagos Islands, Ecuador on alert

When will the world leaders wake up and hold the &^@#en CCP accountable for their actions?

This country has no regards for human rights, animals or the environment. They better not &^@# up the ecosystem around the Galapagos Islands.

Like Easter Island and a few other places, the Galapagos is an area that should be protected at all costs.....

IIRC, the President of Ecuador had a running battle going with John Oliver, so he's obviously a bit of a cowboy....maybe he could sink a few ships to make his point...

Shark Finning should be banned, BTW.

The US courts have overturned the death penalty sentence on the surviving brother in the Boston Marathon bombing:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/more-sports/court-overturns-boston-marathon-bomber-s-death-sentence/ar-BB17qv3k?li=AAgh0dA

To be clear, the court is saying that the original jury wasn't adequately screened for potential bias. This doesn't mean that Tsarnaev won't eventually be executed for his crime, it means that a new penalty phase will happen.

Personally, I'm anti capital punishment, so I'm fine with the idea of Tsarnaev spending the rest of his days in a SuperMax instead of being executed, but I know I'm probably in the minority. I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

China sentences third Canadian to death on drug charges

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/china-sentences-third-canadian-to-death-on-drug-charges-1.5053191

Ketamine is a strong street drug, people party on it. Also, it is a surprising treatment for a lot of psychiatric disorders. Wish the world wasn't so ignorant when it came to control of drugs.

Oh yeah, and F China.

Sad situation in Red Deer yesterday.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/horrific-witness-says-alberta-doctor-slain-while-working-in-medical-clinic/ar-BB17NKpP?li=AAggXBV

A witness to a fatal attack at a central Alberta medical clinic says the victim was her family doctor, and while Mounties refused to confirm the victim's identity they condemned the killing and praised the quick response from police.

"I am sickened to learn that a member of our community died in such a violent tragedy," Supt. Gerald Grobmeier told a news conference late Monday.

"Our heart breaks for the victim's family and friends, and I offer my sincere condolences to all those who are grieving this evening."

Grobmeier said a suspect was arrested at the scene and remained in custody, but that charges were still pending. Police are not seeking any other suspects and say the community is not in danger.

The assault happened at the Village Mall Walk-In Clinic in Red Deer just before noon on Monday.

Anina Mullin said she was waiting in the lobby of the clinic with her 13-year-old daughter when they heard a commotion.

"We heard banging and then, 'Help Me! Help Me! Call 911! Call 911!'" Mullin told rdnewsNOW.

"That was the doctor screaming, yelling. One of the receptionists ran to the door. It was at the far end of the walk-in clinic and she came running back like she had seen a ghost and was like, 'Can someone help him?'"

Mullin said two larger men nearby sprang into action to assist. They came back quickly, telling everyone to get out.

"I grabbed my teenage daughter's hand and we just ran as fast as we could out the doors. Once we got outside, we got into the truck and waited. And she's like, 'Mom can we go?' And I said, 'No, I'm too shaken. I can't."

Mullin said the two men who had helped stood at the clinic door and held it shut until police arrived.

"The one police officer went to the door and opened the door and had his gun drawn and he yelled, 'Put it down, put it down or I will shoot you!'" said Mullin.

"At that time, a hammer flew at the police officer and bashed into the door and then flew outside. It was drenched in blood ... like you couldn't see any metal on it. It was just covered in blood."

Mullin said the officer then ordered someone to 'put down the machete' and went inside. He was quickly joined by other officers, who brought out the suspect in handcuffs.

"He was wearing a hooded sweater with his hood up," said Mullin.

"He had blood all around the rim of his sleeves and large clothes. From there, the ambulances came and they all rushed in with medical bags and a stretcher ... they also brought out the other patients I assume were in the other waiting rooms along with two other doctors and a bunch of nurses."

After that, Mullin said her doctor was brought out on a stretcher.

RdnewsNOW is not naming the physician. RCMP would not say if the victim was a doctor.

Grobmeier said one of the responding officers was hit with a "blunt weapon" and suffered minor injuries. He said the officer then disarmed the suspect without further incident.

He said police were at the scene with two to three minutes of the initial call and had the suspect in custody within five minutes.

"This was an extremely quick response time and likely prevented further tragedy." Grobmeier said, praising the bravery of the officer who disarmed the suspect.

He said no firearms were discharged.

Grobemeier said police weren't releasing information about the victim, whether the attack was targeted or what weapon was used in order to protect the integrity of the investigation. However, he said the investigation was moving rapidly and that charges against the suspect are anticipated.

Dr. Christine Molnar, president of the Alberta Medical Association, said in a statement that the organization will be reaching out to local medical staff for support.

Premier Jason Kenney and Alberta Health Minister Tyler Shandro both tweeted Monday that they were saddened to hear about the fatal attack on the doctor.

"Can't imagine the pain and sorrow his family and clinic staff are now going through," Kenney said. "On behalf of all Albertans, our deepest condolences go out to them."

Shandro said his thoughts and prayers are with all staff and patients who witnessed the attack.

Mullin said she had "never" seen anything quite as horrific as that attack.

"It's definitely affected my daughter. It's hard to get out of your mind," she said. "I don't know if I could ever go back into that clinic. It's awful."

It's too early to say for sure, but it looks like a mental illness issue. Sadly, these people are slipping through the cracks and unfortunately, it cost this doctor his life....

If you live in North Korea, say goodbye to your dog....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/kim-jong-un-orders-north-koreans-to-hand-over-pet-dogs-—-so-they-can-be-used-as-meat/ar-BB183Jon?li=AAggNb9

North Korean dictator Kim Kong-un has ordered citizens to hand over their pet dogs — so they can be killed for food.

The hermit state says pet dogs are now considered a “decadent” luxury and “a ‘tainted’ trend by bourgeois ideology,” and must be surrendered, according to a report by South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo media outlet.

The outlet says the move is likely designed to quell public anger over the country’s economic tailspin. A source told the outlet that Kim made the order in July.

“Authorities have identified households with pet dogs and are forcing them to give them up or forcefully confiscating them and putting them down,” the source said.

Once the pets are rounded up, it’s reported, some go to zoos and some are sold into the restaurant trade, where dogs are regularly consumed. Pyongyang, the Daily Mail reports, has a number of specialized dog eateries.

It would keep you from starving I suppose, but I hear it tastes like Shih Tzu.....

34 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If you live in North Korea, say goodbye to your dog....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/kim-jong-un-orders-north-koreans-to-hand-over-pet-dogs-—-so-they-can-be-used-as-meat/ar-BB183Jon?li=AAggNb9

It would keep you from starving I suppose, but I hear it tastes like Shih Tzu.....

Yulin dog festival approves of this message.

Do you think man’s best friend tastes like chicken?