BBB - Gaudette - Virtanen

Shaller(if resigned) - Beagle - Rousell

Hughes - CCC

Juolevi - CCC

Tryamkin or Brisebois - Gudbranson/Stecher

Gudbranson/Stecher

Demko

Markstrom (maybe Dipietro or UFA) 

XXX- top 6 forward- need two wingers or a Center and a winger if Petterson ends up a winger

YYY-Top 9 forward -need 1

ZZZ- Top 4 Right D - need 2

out of Jonathan Dahlen, Kole Lind, Lukas Jasek, Gadjovich, Madden & Lockwood -I believe we have 1 AAA(top 6) and 1 BBB(top 9).

Jett Woo may become a CCC(top 4 D) and i really like him as a pick but the chances of a 2nd RD pick becoming a top 4 D are slim.

This leaves us needing: 

1 top 6 forward & 2 top 4 right D-Man

I think the Canucks management have to do everything in their power to get 1 or 2 of these in a trade from the following list of assets:

Leipsic

Granlund

Goldobin

Sutter

Eriksson

Edler

Tanev

Pouliot

Hutton

Realisticly Tanev packaged with some of theses assets or picks (not 1st round) should be able to land us a current or future top 6 forward or a top 4 D.

Edler if he is now willing to waive his NTC considering he will be a UFA in a year and the Sedins are gone should get us a nice pick. 

If we can turn the other guys into any picks it will give us a shot of drafting a gem or packaging picks for a higher pick.

Trading these assets sooner rather then later is a good idea because we can lose guys on waivers and it would give us a better shot of drafting high in 2019.  for example if Tanev is traded for a future stud. 

Tanev +++ = 1 top 6 F or top 4 D

All other assets =  1 top 6 F or top 4 D

2019 1st = 1 top 6 F or top 4 D

If we can do this i think we will be a contender again in 3 years. If we get a couple top 6 forwards &/or a top 4 D-man we can also go after a top UFA in a year or two. 

What do you guys think we need to do to become a contender in the somewhat near future? 

imo, pettersson and dahlen become our new twins. they will need a burrows type to play with them. i think virtanen, if given that role will grow to be the mucker and net presence they will need to be successful. 

imo, balancing 3 scoring lines is important

the line i want to see is bo between boeser and gadjovich. all the elements of a good line.

gaudette and lind with a roughed roque could round out or third line. 

i think our defense needs a make-over. maybe not this year but soon. 

hughes...woo

juolevi...tanev

brisebois...stecher

sautner...chatfield.

demko... dipietro

What we need is 3 more good drafts. There will be no "contending" for years.

Let's hope for entertaining fast hockey. Then start to make the playoffs.  Then start thinking about contending. 

However, if Pettersson becomes a number one center and Hughes supplies the offence from the back end that we desperately miss. If Jake takes the next step. If Gaudette and Lind are truly nhl  talent . If Boeser and Bo continue to improve. If Juolevi turns into a top 4 and.......... . 

By the time we see this all happen we will have had 3 more drafts.:o

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

2da9ai.jpg

This is key to our success. Adding this player or that player is not as important as this right here. Winning those 1-0 and 2-1 games is how we are going to get back on the right side of the win/loss columns. 

4 lines that can adapt to our opposition's play(hard hitting, fast, skill, up tempo) is good but if your D and goalie can't keep you in the game then the rest is useless.

Hoping the new goalie coach and less injuries this season on the blueline will help us improve this year.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is key to our success. Adding this player or that player is not as important as this right here. Winning those 1-0 and 2-1 games is how we are going to get back on the right side of the win/loss columns. 

4 lines that can adapt to our opposition's play(hard hitting, fast, skill, up tempo) is good but if your D and goalie can't keep you in the game then the rest is useless.

Hoping the new goalie coach and less injuries this season on the blueline will help us improve this year.

Playing an up-tempo game, with the key being quick passes, and quick transition, lessens the risk of injury.  When you can get the puck onto and off of your stick at speed, the opposition doesn't have time to drill you into the boards, and take liberties with you, because if they stop to do so, the puck is in the back of their net.  There is a reason why the best teams usually deal with the fewest injuries.  If you can beat them 5 on 5, and murder them on the pp, you are already well on the way to contending.  Here's hoping that our new guys can address our scoring, and that the coach finally has the proper tools in the line-up to push a team game that is more like Vegas and less like what we watched the last few seasons.

As to our Defense and Goalie situations, the new coach will probably help immensely providing the people he has to coach can learn.  And I think you'll see our D will be much more effective with the forwards we have as well.  They'll have people to pass to who will get the puck moving in the right direction.

We will be contenders in two years. We have all the pieces and winning teams tend to have a few really good young players cheap and then they are deep. Add a Hughes and Oulevi and that makes us great again.

2 hours ago, brian42 said:

I see our Future(2-3 years) Lineup looking like this:

AAA - Petterson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - AAA

Hughes - CCC

Juolevi - CCC

Gudbranson/Stecher

Demko

XXX- top 6 forward- need two wingers or a Center and a winger if Petterson ends up a winger

out of Jonathan Dahlen, Kole Lind, Lukas Jasek, Gadjovich, Madden & Lockwood -I believe we have 1 AAA(top 6) and 1 BBB(top 9).

Jett Woo may become a CCC(top 4 D) and i really like him as a pick but the chances of a 2nd RD pick becoming a top 4 D are slim.

This leaves us needing: 

I think the Canucks management have to do everything in their power to get 1 or 2 of these in a trade from the following list of assets:

Leipsic

Granlund

Goldobin

Edler

Tanev

Pouliot

Hutton

Realisticly Tanev packaged with some of theses assets or picks (not 1st round) should be able to land us a current or future top 6 forward or a top 4 D.

Edler if he is now willing to waive his NTC considering he will be a UFA in a year and the Sedins are gone should get us a nice pick. 

If we can turn the other guys into any picks it will give us a shot of drafting a gem or packaging picks for a higher pick.

Trading these assets sooner rather then later is a good idea because we can lose guys on waivers and it would give us a better shot of drafting high in 2019.  for example if Tanev is traded for a future stud. 

If we can do this i think we will be a contender again in 3 years. If we get a couple top 6 forwards &/or a top 4 D-man we can also go after a top UFA in a year or two. 

What do you guys think we need to do to become a contender in the somewhat near future? 

Good write up, realistic expectations - hopefully a couple of the other prospects surprise and fill in the holes. 

Looking at the group though it is exciting to see such a diverse group - nice balance of skill and grit, speed and shooting.

24 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Playing an up-tempo game, with the key being quick passes, and quick transition, lessens the risk of injury.  When you can get the puck onto and off of your stick at speed, the opposition doesn't have time to drill you into the boards, and take liberties with you, because if they stop to do so, the puck is in the back of their net.  There is a reason why the best teams usually deal with the fewest injuries.  If you can beat them 5 on 5, and murder them on the pp, you are already well on the way to contending.  Here's hoping that our new guys can address our scoring, and that the coach finally has the proper tools in the line-up to push a team game that is more like Vegas and less like what we watched the last few seasons.

As to our Defense and Goalie situations, the new coach will probably help immensely providing the people he has to coach can learn.  And I think you'll see our D will be much more effective with the forwards we have as well.  They'll have people to pass to who will get the puck moving in the right direction.

You did watch the playoffs, right? No whistles, over 300 body checks per series. Small players frozen out of the game, one of the stars of the playoffs was a grinder with huge hits, Wilson. Don't be satisfied that they look good losing and they are learning how to deal with that after 3 consecutive years of being one of the worst teams in the league.

Still, they should get a decent shot at the number 1 pick next year although it looks so far as if Buffalo may be going for it again.

2 hours ago, brian42 said:

AAA - Petterson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - AAA

Hughes - CCC

Juolevi - CCC

Gudbranson/Stecher

Demko

This leaves us needing: 

Leipsic

Granlund

Goldobin

Edler

Tanev

Pouliot

Hutton

What about the other 35 draft picks, counting next years? Where do they play? Whose spot do they take? How do they get a chance if there are no spots open?

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

You did watch the playoffs, right? No whistles, over 300 body checks per series. Small players frozen out of the game, one of the stars of the playoffs was a grinder with huge hits, Wilson. Don't be satisfied that they look good losing and they are learning how to deal with that after 3 consecutive years of being one of the worst teams in the league.

Still, they should get a decent shot at the number 1 pick next year although it looks so far as if Buffalo may be going for it again.

Good thing we got a few guys who like to check, can spread them thru the line-up, and will only have to worry about the lack of offensive upside from the d-corps.  But provided that our collective team speed just took a tremendous jump forward, and adding that Petersson can come in and drive play and offense....  We will look like a middling team with some upside from the prospect pool.

As for a shot at number 1 for next year...I'm still okay with that.  I'm not of the mind that we are contending this year or next, as long as we look respectable and set down the basis for winning in 3 years time and getting into the playoffs.

And speaking to the idea of having spaces open for prospects to move into in the next few years...that's a good problem to have.  Benning has repeatedly said he'd make room to ice the best team possible, and if that means moving a vet for a kid, you do it.  Personally I'd like it if you could evaluate that ahead of time to maximize value, but that's me.  At least it seems like we are going to get to the point where we have a continual renewal of the team from the prospect pool instead of the UFA pool.  And next year, the draft is in Vancouver.  Here's hoping we get lucky, draft #1, get the other Hughes, make a storyline of it, and contend for the cup in 5 years time.  And this time, win.

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

imo, pettersson and dahlen become our new twins. they will need a burrows type to play with them

Roussel is a Burrows-type.

And a good 'combat wingman' to let them do what they do best. He'd get the other teams' defensive players so mad at him, always looking over the should for the next dirty hit that the other two will have space by virtue of that.

Or Virtanen and just give them a 'sink or swim' line; power, speed and skill. Could work provided nobody gets lazy coming back.

3 hours ago, brian42 said:

AAA - Petterson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - AAA

Hughes - CCC

Juolevi - CCC

Gudbranson/Stecher

Demko

This leaves us needing: 

Leipsic

Granlund

Goldobin

Edler

Tanev

Pouliot

Hutton

Good write up and thank you for the effort you put in. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Jonathon Dahlen and Kole Lind make it as top[ prospects. Any others will be surprises, However we are used to the Canucks drafting so we seldom expect anything from our prospects, But Jim Benning drafts on Character as well and many of his picks keep getting better and working harder, so I wouldn't rule anything out. Jet Woo could be a really great pick as well. The line up you have above to me looks like a team that will have a shot at Stanley. Anytime you have a Elias and Dhalin on your team as well as Hughes -

Juolevi -These players will be studs. And everyone knows how I feel about Elias he alone will win us some games this year we have no business winning.

59 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The team needs a new management group with a little desperation for winning, one that will play more than 3 of the 28 draft picks or sign older players to the age of 36 or 37.

Mike Gillis is that you?

42 minutes ago, brownky said:

Roussel is a Burrows-type.

And a good 'combat wingman' to let them do what they do best. He'd get the other teams' defensive players so mad at him, always looking over the should for the next dirty hit that the other two will have space by virtue of that.

Or Virtanen and just give them a 'sink or swim' line; power, speed and skill. Could work provided nobody gets lazy coming back.

Good reasoning. I never looked at this possibility. I can't wait to see how this plans out. 

Archived