The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What we need to become Contenders

brian42

5 minutes ago, mpt said:

Jake is still limited by his hockey IQ and offensive awareness.  Boeser needs to avoid the sophomore slump (I think he will do just fine) Gaudette needs to reach his potential (who knows).  I completely agree with you but again just because someone has played well outside of the NHL or in their rookie year you can’t project that they are a guarantee to develop even further into their projections.  How many 1st round picks never play consistently in dominate roles in the NHL?  A lot.

Yeh  the games still have to be played. I really like how JB has added some toughness and character to help them succeed.

Just now, cory40 said:

Yeh  the games still have to be played. I really like how JB has added some toughness and character to help them succeed.

I agree, the additions so far this offseason has been good.  I hope the Beagle contract doesn’t bite us in the butt 2-4 years from now

the thing we need the most is patience. We are not going to be contenders this year. Its going to take three more years at the best.We need to find that generational player to take us over the top. Maybe Jack Hughes is that guy maybe not. we still need to continue to draft well and find more players like Hughes and Juloevi.for a defensive re build. Stecher Hutton MDZ Pouliot are just not going to do it. We also need more that just a trade or free agent signing. In a couple years when we can move on from the Gagners and the Erikssons we will be ready. If you are looking for a quick fix to this you are going to be disappointed

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

Yea 108 points best in the league is a really bad year for McDavid.

The fact he was 10 th in scoring while the games mattered. Then after he and the Oilers we're planning golf dates he stepped it up. McDavid can't play a whole season like he finished last year he will get hurt. That's just the facts. Bure couldn't either he had to slow it down a little.

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

the thing we need the most is patience. We are not going to be contenders this year. Its going to take three more years at the best.We need to find that generational player to take us over the top. Maybe Jack Hughes is that guy maybe not. we still need to continue to draft well and find more players like Hughes and Juloevi.for a defensive re build. Stecher Hutton MDZ Pouliot are just not going to do it. We also need more that just a trade or free agent signing. In a couple years when we can move on from the Gagners and the Erikssons we will be ready. If you are looking for a quick fix to this you are going to be disappointed

I agree, if everything goes well, 3-4 years we might be solid playoff team but its still a lot of ifs.

1 minute ago, mpt said:

I agree, the additions so far this offseason has been good.  I hope the Beagle contract doesn’t bite us in the butt 2-4 years from now

Teams always need grit for the play-offs. I could see a trade this year for a 2nd involving Beagle.

Just now, mpt said:

I agree, if everything goes well, 3-4 years we might be solid playoff team but its still a lot of ifs.

No matter what we will not be able to trade our way into contention. we have to build our player base through the draft. Continue to focus on the young players we need to develop. 5 players doesn't make a team a contender. Next draft we need o find another solid gem to add to the mix

4 minutes ago, cory40 said:

The fact he was 10 th in scoring while the games mattered. Then after he and the Oilers we're planning golf dates he stepped it up. McDavid can't play a whole season like he finished last year he will get hurt. That's just the facts. Bure couldn't either he had to slow it down a little.

Right and you are the one comparing Pettersson to McDavid, who has never played more than 44 games in a year and whom has never played in the NHL.   I wouldn’t be comparing Pettersson to McDavid, McDavid was a clear 1st overall pick by every team in the league for a reason.  The worst part about McDavid is that Edmonton won the draft lottery.  I feel bad for anyone stuck in that franchise with an ass clown for a GM whom keeps being brought back year after year.  Just like the Canadians.  Sometimes people just need to be fired.

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

No matter what we will not be able to trade our way into contention. we have to build our player base through the draft. Continue to focus on the young players we need to develop. 5 players doesn't make a team a contender. Next draft we need o find another solid gem to add to the mix

Agreed.

1 minute ago, cory40 said:

Teams always need grit for the play-offs. I could see a trade this year for a 2nd involving Beagle.

I think  there are options for trading a player at the TDL if we can get value for them back.Beagle might turn out to be our best center. either way we need players with a bit more sandpaper. lets push out the ones that are not gloing to make it. Goldy, Gaunce, Hutton, Pouliot etc. if they cant show up night after night then someone will replace them

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

How many players do we actually need to be a contender then? Is there an exact formula?

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

Right and you are the one comparing Pettersson to McDavid, who has never played more than 44 games in a year and whom has never played in the NHL.   I wouldn’t be comparing Pettersson to McDavid, McDavid was a clear 1st overall pick by every team in the league for a reason.  The worst part about McDavid is that Edmonton won the draft lottery.  I feel bad for anyone stuck in that franchise with an ass clown for a GM whom keeps being brought back year after year.  Just like the Canadians.  Sometimes people just need to be fired.

Elias played 80 games last year and dominated in the WC. Something McDavid did not do this summer.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

How many players do we actually need to be a contender then? Is there an exact formula?

We need a whole team to be a contender. Every player has to be good at their role. You need scorers to score checkers to check defense that play defense as well as help the forwards out, forwards that help the D out. Goalies that can make a stop when you need it. But no matter what 5 players that are brand new to the league are not going to make us contenders, we will struggle as they develop again this year and draft high again next draft. But all the whining and complaining here isnt going to change the fact we need to be patient and draft another good prospect next year. Saying Benning should trade Gagner or Eriksson at this point is moot. We do not know if anyone has had nay interest in these players so we are stuck with their contracts. As their contracts end we will see more of the players we have drafted and hopefully they are ready to step in. I believe this is at least 3-4 years away from being a contending team.

5 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Elias played 80 games last year and dominated in the WC. Something McDavid did not do this summer.

While i would love to see Elias step in and be as good as Mc God , its highly unlikely. He comes with a great skill set but his speed and size are not near McDavids. He will bring a good deal of offensive ability but is more on the play-making and shot side.

15 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Elias Petterson takes us over the top. And if Hughes pans out we will contend in three years and be play-off bound next year.

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

While i would love to see Elias step in and be as good as Mc God , its highly unlikely. He comes with a great skill set but his speed and size are not near McDavids. He will bring a good deal of offensive ability but is more on the play-making and shot side.

McDavid has to skate and work hard for his points. Elias is kinda like Mario he will get points with-out even being noticed. Nobody thinks the game as well as EP so far. Some Swedish NHL players that played on the WC with him commented about how excited they are to see how he does in the NHL. Every shift in the WC was an excitement and he looked poised. Elias isn't coming to the NHL to be second best, And that's what I like about him. He could not only be the steal of last years draft he looks poised to be a top tier player in the NHL. He will get 70 points this year and will start very slow , at least 5 6 games and then as he always does he will find his game at this level. And Elias is fast as well. Slow players seldom get breakaways.

5 minutes ago, cory40 said:

McDavid has to skate and work hard for his points. Elias is kinda like Mario he will get points with-out even being noticed. Nobody thinks the game as well as EP so far. Some Swedish NHL players that played on the WC with him commented about how excited they are to see how he does in the NHL. Every shift in the WC was an excitement and he looked poised. Elias isn't coming to the NHL to be second best, And that's what I like about him. He could not only be the steal of last years draft he looks poised to be a top tier player in the NHL. He will get 70 points this year and will start very slow , at least 5 6 games and then as he always does he will find his game at this level. And Elias is fast as well. Slow players seldom get breakaways.

while i share your excitement at this players potential I am being cautiously optimistic as I think he will play on the team this year but need to adjust a bit to the NHL game, the size and speed of the opposition and NHL caliber goal tending. If he can contribute 50 points this season  i consider that a successful rookie campaign, anything over that is gravy

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

What about the other 35 draft picks, counting next years? Where do they play? Whose spot do they take? How do they get a chance if there are no spots open?

Care to specify which of t he 28 picks should be on the team and why?

Archived