The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should a rival GM offer sheet one of the Leafs golden boys

Should a rival GM offer sheet one of the Leafs golden boys? Why not? It would put the Leafs in cap hell. I'm guessing Lamarillo is some choked and wants to get even. Or maybe Arizona offers Mathews 15 million per? A scenario like this would be a lot of fun to watch go down.

Just now, Brad Marchand said:

Funny you should mention that:

The Islanders don't have their own 2019 2nd or 3rd round picks, so any offer sheet they make will likely have to be a big one.

I would love the fireworks! Can you imagine Leafs nation if they had to pay Mathews 15 million per? Or Marner 12 million per? Or Nylander 8 million per? 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

I would love the fireworks! Can you imagine Leafs nation if they had to pay Mathews 15 million per? Or Marner 12 million per? Or Nylander 8 million per? 

Paying Nylander or Marner big $$$ screws the Leafs in the short term and long term if they matched. It may make them trade Nylander rather quickly.

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Should a rival GM offer sheet one of the Leafs golden boys? Why not? It would put the Leafs in cap hell. I'm guessing Lamarillo is some choked and wants to get even. Or maybe Arizona offers Mathews 15 million per? A scenario like this would be a lot of fun to watch go down.

That would be hilarious.Id be like pass the popcorn:lol:

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ooooo, the good kind of schadenfreude.  I'm all for it

32 minutes ago, rekker said:

If this happens the Islander will become very likeable in a lot of markets!!! Please let this be true!

The Leafs know they have to lose a Nylander or Marner if they want to remain under the cap moving forward. Ideally, they would probably want a low cap proven d-man plus picks in return or possibly just picks. Offer sheeting Nylander or Marner might just be what the Leafs would want.....lots of draft picks.

OFFER SHEET COMPENSATION $1,110,249 or below None Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third Round Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second Round Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First Round and Third Round Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First Round, Second Round, and Third Round Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two First Rounds, Second Round, and Third Round Over $8,410,976 Four First Rounds

The Islanders are in no position to offer sheet one of these players (Nylander) this year as they don't have their draft picks to offer up in compensation.

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

lol, like the fishsticks would throw a big money offer at Nylander.  If they were so willing to hand out that kind of money, they would've just thrown a bit more on Tavares and kept their 1st round picks (offer sheet compensation).  

Aye. Beware of the scorned woman though. 

NHL DRAMA!! Yay

Was so quiet last year. Honestly I doubt Matthews or Marner make it to RFA status. I'd negotiate with them first over Nylander because they're more important and knowing their AAV for the next contract is important when deciding the fate of Nylander.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I see Lou of NYI offering exactly something like this.   Toronto is royally hooped if NYI offered max deal to Auston and Arizona to Marner and then someone else to Nylander.   It would basically cause the Toronto sports market hype machine to crater into a quivering mass of this:

tenor.gif?itemid=5009567

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I see Lou of NYI offering exactly something like this.   Toronto is royally hooped if NYI offered max deal to Auston and Arizona to Marner and then someone else to Nylander.   It would basically cause the Toronto sports market hype machine to crater into a quivering mass of this:

tenor.gif?itemid=5009567

Lol. Post of the day for me. 

43 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5009567

The Islanders can't can they?

Keep in mind, the player has to actually accept the offer.

With Tavares signing in Toronto some players may be motivated to stay there to play with him.  So another team may have to seriously overpay in order to get someone to consider switching.

While Nylander is an RFA right now, Dubas has a whole year to re-up Matthews and Marner so there is a chance they might not even make it to free agency for other teams to take a run at them.

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

The Leafs know they have to lose a Nylander or Marner if they want to remain under the cap moving forward. Ideally, they would probably want a low cap proven d-man plus picks in return or possibly just picks. Offer sheeting Nylander or Marner might just be what the Leafs would want.....lots of draft picks.

OFFER SHEET COMPENSATION $1,110,249 or below None Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third Round Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second Round Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First Round and Third Round Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First Round, Second Round, and Third Round Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two First Rounds, Second Round, and Third Round Over $8,410,976 Four First Rounds

The Islanders are in no position to offer sheet one of these players (Nylander) this year as they don't have their draft picks to offer up in compensation.

How are the Islanders in no position to offer sheet Matthews though?  They have 4 1st rounders and it seems expensive but with how hard it is to win the lottery these days and get players of Matthews calibre I think it would be worth it.

8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

With Tavares signing in Toronto some players may be motivated to stay there to play with him.  So another team may have to seriously overpay in order to get someone to consider switching.

While Nylander is an RFA right now, Dubas has a whole year to re-up Matthews and Marner so there is a chance they might not even make it to free agency for other teams to take a run at them.

Good point.  Matthews is American though so you never know.  He may not feel the same connection to Toronto that Tavares does.

11 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

A few flies in the ointment I can think of. If Arizona offer sheets Mathews I think he would sign it. Babcock is a well known hard ass. He wears out his welcome with players and maybe some may want out. Food for thought.

Archived