The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should a rival GM offer sheet one of the Leafs golden boys

1 minute ago, rekker said:

A few flies in the ointment I can think of. If Arizona offer sheets Mathews I think he would sign it. Babcock is a well known hard ass. He wears out his welcome with players and maybe some may want out. Food for thought.

All fair points.

It's just that people seem to think an offer sheet is an automatic done-deal, and it isn't.  It's still a negotiation.  And it is only if that negotiation is successful does the player sign the offer sheet, thus forcing his original team to make a match or walk decision.

It also drives my inner grammar police nuts.  Offer Sheet is not a verb.  :P

24 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

All fair points.

It's just that people seem to think an offer sheet is an automatic done-deal, and it isn't.  It's still a negotiation.  And it is only if that negotiation is successful does the player sign the offer sheet, thus forcing his original team to make a match or walk decision.

It also drives my inner grammar police nuts.  Offer Sheet is not a verb.  :P

Yip. Point taken. If the player puts pen to paper he is saying he is ok with leaving. Which is a big maybe. I believe the Nucks tried to offer sheet Weber? He refused. 

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

lol, like the fishsticks would throw a big money offer at Nylander.  If they were so willing to hand out that kind of money, they would've just thrown a bit more on Tavares and kept their 1st round picks (offer sheet compensation).  

He took 15 million less to play in Toronto...

1 hour ago, dura_mater said:

How are the Islanders in no position to offer sheet Matthews though?  They have 4 1st rounders and it seems expensive but with how hard it is to win the lottery these days and get players of Matthews calibre I think it would be worth it.

Good point.  Matthews is American though so you never know.  He may not feel the same connection to Toronto that Tavares does.

Matthews could be offer sheeted next year when he becomes an RFA but not this year. My post refers to this year only as indicated by "The Islanders are in no position to offer sheet one of these players (Nylander) this year as they don't have their draft picks to offer up in compensation".

It would not surprise me if the Islanders did offer sheet Matthews next year but it would surprise me if Toronto didn't match the offer no matter who they would have to dump to be cap compliant.

where Nylander is concerned, unfortunately offer sheets make more sense for contenders whose compensation picks are typically late picks.

but contenders don't tend to have the cap space....

offering mulitple picks and an contract overpayment is too risky for bottomfeeders - you're risking giving up mulitple high picks and take a big risk on an RFA living up to all that value....

It's a fun idea though.

13 hours ago, rekker said:

I would love the fireworks! Can you imagine Leafs nation if they had to pay Mathews 15 million per? Or Marner 12 million per? Or Nylander 8 million per? 

I don't get why people value Marner so much higher than Nylander. They've got almost identical stat lines, no?

Just now, The Game said:

I don't get why people value Marner so much higher than Nylander. They've got almost identical stat lines, no?

Nylander disappeared in the playoffs and Marner played well, I guess is the difference. But it's pretty hard to base your judgement on a few games on a relatively non-competitive team.

14 hours ago, rekker said:

Should a rival GM offer sheet one of the Leafs golden boys? Why not? It would put the Leafs in cap hell. I'm guessing Lamarillo is some choked and wants to get even. Or maybe Arizona offers Mathews 15 million per? A scenario like this would be a lot of fun to watch go down.

You are right. Islanders giving an offer sheet to Matthews at 15 mil is not out of the question and not as crazy as it sounds. Matthews is going to get 12 mil from the Leafs anyways (McDavid money) so if NYI offers him extra 3 mil, that doesn't seem like a big deal to them but it is a big deal to the Leafs with Marner and Nylander to be signed as well on top of Tavares' 11 mil. And over 10 mil, you have to cough up 4 first rounders anyways so 15 mil to screw up Leafs sounds like a good idea.

If the Leafs match, then you move on to Marner, offer sheet him at 8-9 mil. LOL.

1 hour ago, The Game said:

Marner had a better playoffs for sure. Both good young players but both will be pumped up by Eastern media regardless.

1 hour ago, mephnick said:

The cost is so ridiculously high that it's never going to happen.

It's not though.  Imagine GIllis four first round picks: Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder and Hodgson being dealt for Matthews.  Just depends where you think your team is at when you offer sheet.  You could be trading four busts or four potential all-stars.

47 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would not put it past the Coyotes to go hard after Matthews.

Superstar athletes in their primes don't go from the biggest market to the smallest one. If he left I think it would the Kings/Rags that would have the best shot at him.

20 minutes ago, Toews said:

Superstar athletes in their primes don't go from the biggest market to the smallest one. If he left I think it would the Kings/Rags that would have the best shot at him.

Home town has a way of drawing you back. I'm guessing grew up a Yotes fan. 

On 03/07/2018 at 7:10 AM, Tre Mac said:

It's not though.  Imagine GIllis four first round picks: Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder and Hodgson being dealt for Matthews.  Just depends where you think your team is at when you offer sheet.  You could be trading four busts or four potential all-stars.

Sure...but usually the teams that have the cap space to offer some ridiculous offer sheet have good first round picks.

I'm not offer sheeting Matthews if my upcoming years look like 4 top 10 picks (like NYI does) thanks. Unless you really think Matthews is worth like...Makar, Jost, Rantanan and Landeskog, to use Colorado as an example. I sure as hell don't.

Archived