The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should a rival GM offer sheet one of the Leafs golden boys

Love today's headline on TSN. "Wont be fair to Tavares to lose a core player". Nice to know TSN is so concerned. Must be some magic plan in place to keep the forward core in tact while upgrading that D. Edit. I forgot they have Shanaplan.

If Matthews gets lost to an offer sheet I could see the Toronto media headlines saying they didn’t need Matthews’s anyways and the compensation of 4 first round picks clearly outweighs any Matthews any day of the week.

I seen someone suggest Marner should get around 10mil. Not sure if he was a Toronto fan, but if that's even remotely close to what the secondary stars (Nylander/Marner) are worth I am very happy to say they are gonna be hurting for depth in a major way. Marner for 10, Nylander for 8-9 and Tavares and Matthews for 11 each. They aren't signing any decent depth players. They may have a decent forward core, but their D core will look worse than ours.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I find it funny that there are articles surfacing that are having NHL legends 'clarify' that there is no rift between Matthews and the Leafs:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/orr-reports-of-rift-are-silly-wrong-and-not-true~1435364

And what does Bobby Orr have to do with TML anyways? lol

Anyways, you know how the saying goes... where there's smoke...

Bobby Orr runs the agency that represents Auston Matthews.

He switched to them recently.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bobby Orr runs the agency that represents Auston Matthews.

He switched to them recently.

Ah ok, that makes more sense now... but still... where there's smoke.... ;)

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I find it funny that there are articles surfacing that are having NHL legends 'clarify' that there is no rift between Matthews and the Leafs:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/orr-reports-of-rift-are-silly-wrong-and-not-true~1435364

And what does Bobby Orr have to do with TML anyways? lol

Anyways, you know how the saying goes... where there's smoke...

I don't buy it. Mathews finished something like 40th in the league for his percentage of his teams power play time for centers. Babcock flying to Arizona to meet up so soon after the season, Mathews demeanor in interviews. I don't buy it. What I buy is if there is a bit of a rift,  it wont make the news because the reporter that breaks the story will never be allowed near the Leafs again. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I don't buy it. Mathews finished something like 40th in the league for his percentage of his teams power play time for centers. Babcock flying to Arizona to meet up so soon after the season, Mathews demeanor in interviews. I don't buy it. What I buy is if there is a bit of a rift,  it wont make the news because the reporter that breaks the story will never be allowed near the Leafs again. 

During his interview on the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast, Chris Johnston said that there definitely is something to the rumour of a Matthews/Babcock rift. Didn’t go into any more detail though. 

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

During his interview on the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast, Chris Johnston said that there definitely is something to the rumour of a Matthews/Babcock rift. Didn’t go into any more detail though. 

Makes sense. I think Babcock wears thin on many players. O'Sullivan on NHL Network touched on how he knows of players that will not sign in TO as long as Babs is the coach. Babs seems like an egomaniac to me. Mathews seems soft to me and doesn't like being pushed to hard. Just my opinion from thousands of miles away and never meeting any of them.  Lol. 

On 7/4/2018 at 9:31 PM, Lui's Knob said:

NHL is the old boys country club. It’ll never happen not even Lou would consider it. Plus GM will always match so the whole thing is futile anyways.

Difficult to say....remember before the cap (when it was even more of an "old boys country club").....the Laffs gave an offer sheet to Ohlund (when Quinn, a member of the 'old boys network') when handing out those things were unheard of.  Though I guess the way the Canucks signed Quinn as GM in the first place might've been a motivating factor why the Laffs decided to go against "the standard practices at the time".

On 02/07/2018 at 3:37 PM, rekker said:

I would love the fireworks! Can you imagine Leafs nation if they had to pay Mathews 15 million per? Or Marner 12 million per? Or Nylander 8 million per? 

I'm not sure what the compensation is on 12 and 15 million.. But I'm sure it's many 1st round picks. I wouldn't match and take the compensation. 

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'm not sure what the compensation is on 12 and 15 million.. But I'm sure it's many 1st round picks. I wouldn't match and take the compensation. 

I believe it would be 4 firsts. Arizona would be my bet to do it. It's a long shot though. 

39 minutes ago, apollo said:

Do the Coyotes have that kind of money?  If there is an offer sheet coming on Matthews (I sure hope so ... ha ha ha) I think it comes from a team with lots of money, and is higher in the standings.  Then those firsts would be late in the first round, and shaft the Leafs.  

Archived