The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Roster]Opening day forward line up

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Fwiw last year Benning warned against overestimating those end of season games.  He actually called those games after the TDL meaningless and explained that it's very different from producing at the start of the season.   It's not the same level of competition - several teams did like the Canucks and played their youth while some teams in the playoffs were resting for the post-season.   

Etem had 4 goals and 7pts in the last 8 games of the season and did not make it out of training camp.  Even Baer had 9pts on a 7 game point streak in Calgary while playing with Max Reinhart who never made the league.

I completely agree about the end of season games - but I still think that Leipsic was one of our best players (if not THE best player) on the ice in almost every one of those 14 games. The kid was fast, skilled, and exciting to watch. The kid was giving it every shift. Now I'm aware that he was likely viewing those games as a "try-out period", but I still think that he earns a spot in the opening night line-up. We need more players like Leipsic in the line-up.

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser .... Eriksson will have no choice but to produce.... Fingers crossed

Baerstchi-Sutter-Petterson .... Same reason as above but for Sutter

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen ... We need Gaud and Jake to not be afraid to mix it up. How do  you do that? Stick them on a line with Roussel

Liepsic-Beagle-Gagner ... speed and skill with some grit. 

8 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I completely agree about the end of season games - but I still think that Leipsic was one of our best players (if not THE best player) on the ice in almost every one of those 14 games. The kid was fast, skilled, and exciting to watch. The kid was giving it every shift. Now I'm aware that he was likely viewing those games as a "try-out period", but I still think that he earns a spot in the opening night line-up. We need more players like Leipsic in the line-up.

Leipsic did look great and all we gave up was Holm.  As much as I like Granlund as the extra forward, if we could flip him for a late pick or defensive prospect, then Leipsic could slot into the line up.  I'd rather move Gagner but Granlund seems to be the better asset.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Goldobin Sutter Pettersson 

Leipsic Beagle Eriksson/Virtanen

Roussel Schaller Virtanen/Eriksson

Gagner

8 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser .... Eriksson will have no choice but to produce.... Fingers crossed

Baerstchi-Sutter-Petterson .... Same reason as above but for Sutter

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen ... We need Gaud and Jake to not be afraid to mix it up. How do  you do that? Stick them on a line with Roussel

Liepsic-Beagle-Gagner ... speed and skill with some grit. 

Not bad.  I'd rather have Schaller in the line up over Gagner though.  Size, speed, physicality and he's good on the PK.  He needs to be in the bottom 6.

3 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Pettersson on a line with Sutter and Eriksson is scary.... and not in a good way. :lol:

Its not ideal, but it's how I see the season starting for him.  We all know the offensive skill that Pettersson will bring, but I think it would make sense for him to start the season learning the center position with Sutter and having a fellow Swede in Eriksson to relay some information.  I fully expect Pettersson to be centering a skilled "kid" line before the season is done.

Beartschi - Horvat - Boeser <--- established line with good chemistry.

Dahlen - Gaudette - Pettersson <--- Gaudette has top 6 skill, it would be fun to see what he can do with two very skilled wingers.

Beagle - Sutter - Eriksson <--- three defensively responsible vets to take care of the tough matches.

Schaller - Granlund - Virtanen <--- modern day 4th line with, size, skill and speed. JV can crash and bang freely with Schaller backing him up.

Boucher, Gaunce, Leipsic to Utica. 

Gagner waived or traded to a team needing center depth.

3 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

So there it is, my opening day forward roster:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Eriksson Sutter Pettersson 

Goldobin Beagle Gaudette

Roussel Schaller Virtanen 

Granlund/Gagner

Good post, and I pretty much agree... as of this present moment.  I think we're all expecting more movement, and for me I think it's Gagner, Gaunce, and Leipsic that end up on the outside looking in, and with an outside shot at Eriksson being moved.  Also the line order is immaterial -- outside of the first line, TOI allocation will vary.

2 minutes ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Its not ideal, but it's how I see the season starting for him.  We all know the offensive skill that Pettersson will bring, but I think it would make sense for him to start the season learning the center position with Sutter and having a fellow Swede in Eriksson to relay some information.  I fully expect Pettersson to be centering a skilled "kid" line before the season is done.

Yes, at some point one or both of Pettersson and Gaudette will play C this year, whether part or full-time.  Using Sutter in that role will only be to get Pettersson acclimated and up to speed.  Kid is such a fast learner and imitator/innovator it won't take long.

2 hours ago, Fateless said:

I really think you guys are underrating Leipsic. The guy put up 9 points in 14 games with us last season. At the very least, he's a decent third liner and I believe he should be on the opening night roster.

I also think a healthy Grandlund can surprise a lot of people if given a offensive role like 2 yrs ago 19 goals in 70 games..

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Only reason I am posting is to say I love your name.    Great handle and it deserves recognition.   :)

Oh, that and I actually think Loui may get the first line wing, Goldy moves up to second, Baer to work with Beagle (I don't know why but I think they will work well together) and I see Gaudette starting in AHL.   I think Dahlen does too but is up by Christmas.   I see no room right now for Gagner unless he come and blows the doors off in preseason.   Will be nice not to have that China trip distraction this year which I don't think helped things much.

See Baer working with Sutter rather than Beagle re Benning saying Sutter is to take on a more offensive role. I don't think Green sees Baer as a defensive player - he actually was critical of Calgary using him on a defensive line explaining that he's an offensive minded player.   

Green says he doesn't consider Horvat to be a playmaker so not sure he'd put two goal scorers with him.

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

I also think a healthy Grandlund can surprise a lot of people if given a offensive role like 2 yrs ago 19 goals in 70 games..

Green actually doesn't see Granlund as a top-6 scorer.  He said he talked to him about that.  There's a clip somewhere - towards the end of the season when he was giving an update on his injury.  

1 hour ago, 420Fish said:

I like your reasoning, OP. Here are the lines I would like to see.

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Leipsic Sutter Pettersson

Goldobin Beagle Eriksson 

Granlund Schaller Virtanen 

You forgot Roussel,

I would like to see Gagne traded back to Blue Jackets, he had a great year there and was great on there PP..

We could even take some salary back..

Gaunce 6'2, 220, 24  teams might have some interest as he had a good last 35 games last year...

Going to be a exciting off season..I could see Sutter maybe getting traded during the season, now we have Beagle..

After the 35 game mark they could try Gaudette at #2 centre along with Pettersson and Grandlund..

Sutter in a package we could get some picks back..

Tanev watch should be interesting, Tampa,  Leafs, NYI

Trades have to happen 17 forwards once Virtanen is signed,,,,

I really don't like Pettersson having the black hole of offense as sutter as his center...........I don't wanna do that to the kid.   Word is that they are trying to trade Sutter - whether or not that happens we will see however there isn't a ton of need for him and Beagle to play very similar roles.  I don't want Sutter either being counted on in an offensive role.   

The Canucks have to get rid of some riff raft - I've also heard that Gagne may be gone - which would be great.   Either way they have to clear space - I just can't see them carrying Sutter and Beagle all year.   At some point Sutter will be gone (even if it's the TDL).   I also have a hard time seeing Gaudette start in the minors - Green likes his game a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if they put him in an offensive role with Pettersson and a veteran player.

16 minutes ago, VancouverFan said:

I really don't like Pettersson having the black hole of offense as sutter as his center...........I don't wanna do that to the kid.   Word is that they are trying to trade Sutter - whether or not that happens we will see however there isn't a ton of need for him and Beagle to play very similar roles.  I don't want Sutter either being counted on in an offensive role.   

The Canucks have to get rid of some riff raft - I've also heard that Gagne may be gone - which would be great.   Either way they have to clear space - I just can't see them carrying Sutter and Beagle all year.   At some point Sutter will be gone (even if it's the TDL).   I also have a hard time seeing Gaudette start in the minors - Green likes his game a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if they put him in an offensive role with Pettersson and a veteran player.

Agree with pretty much everything you said.

The last report I heard on Sutter was that the Canucks were going to try him in a more "offensive" role (really just restricting him less). Was it actually reported that the Canucks are looking to trade Sutter (and/or Gagner) now or is that just what you'd like to see happen? 

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

Agree with pretty much everything you said.

The last report I heard on Sutter was that the Canucks were going to try him in a more "offensive" role (really just restricting him less). Was it actually reported that the Canucks are looking to trade Sutter (and/or Gagner) now or is that just what you'd like to see happen? 

Yeah I don't think Sutter should be in an offensive role at all.........I really hope this isn't the case.

Re him getting traded I have a friend who converses regularly with Linden - he's been right about several things in the past so I tend to take his word on things like this.    He said they are trying to trade Sutter - whether or not that happens is another story however you would hope that management would realize that this would be a good move - especially with Beagle here.   He actually has pretty decent trade value.    I wouldn't be surprised if we can do better than just a second rounder for him  - a first might be getting very optimistic but yeah he does have value (our fans just hate on him as he was overpaid by Benning to start - we should've signed him for 500-1mill less than we did).

Re Gagne - same thing - said they are looking to possibly move him or buy him out.   Common sense would dictate that we have to move some of the riff raft.   I tend to think Gaudette will be on the team and that they are expecting EP to be too.  If that's the case there is a big glut of players that they have to address.   I would absolutely love to get rid of Gagne and a solid return on Sutter.    Apparently that is being attempted.........whether or not it happens is another story.

2 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

I agree.  Pettersson will play his way onto the opening day roster.  I'm not sure about the first line that Jaku and many others, including myself would like to see in Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser.  Not yet anyways.  Too many eggs in one basket leaving our offense pretty thin after that.  Number one PP for sure though with Hughes and Edler.  That will be fun and exciting to watch.

The Beagle is ready for lift off, countdown 10, 9, 8........( What a crop of young talent we have! )

1 minute ago, VancouverFan said:

Yeah I don't think Sutter should be in an offensive role at all.........I really hope this isn't the case.

Re him getting traded I have a friend who converses regularly with Linden - he's been right about several things in the past so I tend to take his word on things like this.    He said they are trying to trade Sutter - whether or not that happens is another story however you would hope that management would realize that this would be a good move - especially with Beagle here.   He actually has pretty decent trade value.    I wouldn't be surprised if we can do better than just a second rounder for him  - a first might be getting very optimistic but yeah he does have value (our fans just hate on him as he was overpaid by Benning to start - we should've signed him for 500-1mill less than we did).

Re Gagne - same thing - said they are looking to possibly move him or buy him out.   Common sense would dictate that we have to move some of the riff raft.   I tend to think Gaudette will be on the team and that they are expecting EP to be too.  If that's the case there is a big glut of players that they have to address.   I would absolutely love to get rid of Gagne and a solid return on Sutter.    Apparently that is being attempted.........whether or not it happens is another story.

Thanks for the reply. 

Given that it's the internet and anybody can say anything, I'll take your insider information with a grain of salt, but it would sound good if they could move Sutter now that we have Beagle. There were reports that multiple teams were interested in him at the deadline, so he definitely does have value. If we move home though, we're right back where we were before free agency; looking for an offensive 2nd line center to play with Pettersson/Baertschi/Goldobin/Leispic. A deal would probably be something along the lines of Sutter for a 2nd + B prospect.

At the moment, I actually think Gagner is pretty valuable to our lineup as our only real option for an offensive 2C. If they were to move him, we'd have no option but to put our offensive young guys with Sutter/Beagle. 

Some options I was looking at pre-Free Agency for the 2C spot were Anisimov, Coyle, Bozak (who's contract looks pretty good in my opinion), Gagner, Bjugstad and Filppula. 

Elias Pettersson - Jay Beagle - Brock Boeser

Antoine Roussel - Bo Horvat - Jake Virtanen

Sven Baertschi - Adam Gaudette - Brandon Sutter

Loui Eriksson - Tim Schaller - Sam Gagner

Olli Juolevi - Erik Gudbranson

Alex Edler - Alex Biega

Derrick Pouliot - Troy Stecher

Richard Bachman

Jakob Markstrom

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Given that it's the internet and anybody can say anything, I'll take your insider information with a grain of salt, but it would sound good if they could move Sutter now that we have Beagle. There were reports that multiple teams were interested in him at the deadline, so he definitely does have value. If we move home though, we're right back where we were before free agency; looking for an offensive 2nd line center to play with Pettersson/Baertschi/Goldobin/Leispic. A deal would probably be something along the lines of Sutter for a 2nd + B prospect.

At the moment, I actually think Gagner is pretty valuable to our lineup as our only real option for an offensive 2C. If they were to move him, we'd have no option but to put our offensive young guys with Sutter/Beagle. 

Some options I was looking at pre-Free Agency for the 2C spot were Anisimov, Coyle, Bozak (who's contract looks pretty good in my opinion), Gagner, Bjugstad and Filppula. 

Yeah of course - I'm suggesting you take what I say with a grain of salt as well but common sense would tend to dictate that Sutter and Beagle play very similar roles.    Sutter is not a second line center.........he should definitely not be counted on as one.   I personally think Gagne is very meh but he's about as offensive as an option as we have so maybe you are right.  I tend to think the Canucks might want to just bide a little time until Gaudette and/or Pettersson are able to handle the center ice duties. 

Either way we have a huge logjam up front - something has to give.   Out of all our forwards I would be ok with seeing Gagne, Sutter, Gaunce and Granlund gone (archibald is irrelevant for me).   I tend to think Leipsic and Goldobin both have decent potential and I don't want them gone.  Any combo of the rest I am fine with seeing jettisoned.......

I would go:
Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Eriksson Sutter Granlund
Leipsic Pettersson Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Gagner

DEPTH:
LW - Schaller, Gaunce, Dahlen 
RW - Goldobin, Archibald
C - Motte, Gaudette

Edler Stecher
Hughes Tanev

Del Zotto Gudbranson

Depth:
RS - Pouliot, Biega
LS - Hutton, Juolevi 

TOP PP
Pettersson Horvat Boeser
Hughes Stecher/Pouliot

TOP PK
Roussel Sutter
Edler Tanev

Pettersson sucks at faceoffs but would hopefully get better working with Manny Malhotra. With Sutter, Beagle, and Horvat the team should be in good shape even if Pettersson fails to hit 40%. I see his line getting generous offensive zone starts. Love the speed of the three players and this should help Virtanen develop his offensive game. Bottom two lines get to eat up the tough minutes 5 on 5 and on the PK. 

Archived