The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Roster]Opening day forward line up

11 hours ago, mll said:

They can't buy out Gagner anymore - the buyout window closed on Saturday.  

it didn't matter anyway, you only save 2 million over his last 2 years, which you can save by sending him to Utica or retaining in a trade. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think people should know by now Linden isn't going to allow a tank on purpose, they are going to try to win every game. Who knows where they'll actually end up but they aren't going into this year looking for a high pick. 

Well I don't think any team really try to tank. Im just saying this team to be a contender like Chicago, LA, Pens. Need a number 1 pick like Jack Hughes to win. 

Washington Capitals Ovi number 1 pick. Just seems that's the way it happens.  

3 minutes ago, Patrick Jane said:

Well I don't think any team really try to tank. Im just saying this team to be a contender like Chicago, LA, Pens. Need a number 1 pick like Jack Hughes to win. 

that guy could be Pettersson tho, he sure looks like he could have gone 1st overall. But yeah it would be a nice addition. The whole lottery era is built to disappoint. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser - already established, good chemistry

Pettersson - Sutter - Granlund/Goldy - the granlund/goldy rotation gives Pettersson a couple f different styles to play with

Roussel - Schaller - Virtanen - you want a line that will be hard to play against, there you go.  

Leipsic - Beagle - Eriksson - a great 4th line that can definitely contribute offensively.   

Granlund/Goldobin - this rotation provides a lot of variety in the style the team wants to play on a given night.  

Gagne - He's the odd man out, imo, and might even be gone by opening night.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Jane said:

1st overall would be great, but it hasnt helped, Edmonton, or Florida or the NYI to name a few.

There are so many elements that go into winning a Stanley cup, but having the 1st overall pick isnt a guarantee you'll win one.

Nowadays, to be a contender starts with trusting your scouts to draft the best players possible, to develop them properly in a professional environment while being sheltered by proven character players that allows your top prospects to realize their potential.  Coaches need to know what they have in their players and deploy them in a position to succeed, and I feel we're on the right path to contending for the Cup again, with or without a 1st overall pick.

3 minutes ago, The Beagle had landed said:

1st overall would be great, but it hasnt helped, Edmonton, or Florida or the NYI to name a few.

There are so many elements that go into winning a Stanley cup, but having the 1st overall pick isnt a guarantee you'll win one.

Nowadays, to be a contender starts with trusting your scouts to draft the best players possible, to develop them properly in a professional environment while being sheltered by proven character players that allows your top prospects to realize their potential.  Coaches need to know what they have in their players and deploy them in a position to succeed, and I feel we're on the right path to contending for the Cup again, with or without a 1st overall pick.

Personally, it feels like every single member of this organizations has bought into the plan and are all pulling in the same direction.  Buy in, from top to bottom, is a critical element as well.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that guy could be Pettersson tho, he sure looks like he could have gone 1st overall. But yeah it would be a nice addition. The whole lottery era is built to disappoint. 

ya im counting pettersson ..be like Hughes, pettersson, boeser…..Crosby,malkin,kessel…..Toews,Kane,Hossa ….Ovi,backstom,Kuznetov 

I do agree with you that the lottery is to disappoint though haha

9 minutes ago, bree2 said:

what about dahlin?

If you mean Canucks prospect Jonathen Dahlen, I hope he has an impressive camp and makes it tough on managament to make a decision, but ultimately I think he starts in Utica, mainly beacuse of all the regulars we have.  He will get called up eventually at some point this season.

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Personally, it feels like every single member of this organizations has bought into the plan and are all pulling in the same direction.  Buy in, from top to bottom, is a critical element as well.

Definitely.  Like any succesful relationship, communication is key, and I feel this managment has taken, and is still taking great steps towards making sure everyone is on the same page.  A recent example is promoting Dan Cloutier to a Goaltender Advisor position where he keeps in contact with every part of the goaltending situation from trainers to staff to coaches between Vancouver and Utica.  I read Doug Jarvis was promoted to an advisor position as well giving Malhotra more responsiblities as an assistant.

Found the link

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-cloutier-ian-clark-goalie-coach-2018

Discussion about it in Canucks Talk:

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think people should know by now Linden isn't going to allow a tank on purpose, they are going to try to win every game. Who knows where they'll actually end up but they aren't going into this year looking for a high pick. 

Further to that, JB has shown that he can uncover gems in the draft without having to win the lottery.

Even with all the whining about not getting extra picks and trading away picks. Even with starting with almost no prospects to speak of. Even with dropping down in every lottery he has been in.  He has amassed what is possibly the best prospect pool in the nhl, for sure top 4.  

Their plan to try to keep a winning spirit will serve us well in the future as our prospects weren't brought into a losing atmosphere.  Buffalo has it, Edmonton has had it for years, it is not easy to change.  

26 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Further to that, JB has shown that he can uncover gems in the draft without having to win the lottery.

Even with all the whining about not getting extra picks and trading away picks. Even with starting with almost no prospects to speak of. Even with dropping down in every lottery he has been in.  He has amassed what is possibly the best prospect pool in the nhl, for sure top 4.  

Their plan to try to keep a winning spirit will serve us well in the future as our prospects weren't brought into a losing atmosphere.  Buffalo has it, Edmonton has had it for years, it is not easy to change.  

yeah talk to @SabreFan1 about the pervasiveness of a losing culture. Once its in its hard to get rid of.

I just find it funny that there are articles coming out today about how Jim made a mistake, or we "don't need" Beagle, etc. We're not a cap team.... why wouldn't you go out and get some veterans that can help build a culture? Its funny to me that they think thats a mistake. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah talk to @SabreFan1 about the pervasiveness of a losing culture. Once its in its hard to get rid of.

I just find it funny that there are articles coming out today about how Jim made a mistake, or we "don't need" Beagle, etc. We're not a cap team.... why wouldn't you go out and get some veterans that can help build a culture? Its funny to me that they think thats a mistake. 

I think a big mistake we have made over the years is making our skilled prospects prove themselves on 3rd and 4th lines.  They have fizzled playing roles not suited to them and not the reason they were drafted.  JB has built the team with very strong leadership, grit and size for the 3rd and 4th lines.  This makes the offensively skilled prospects earn their time on the top 2 lines with the big club or stay on the top 2 lines in Utica and keep scoring and honing their skills until they are ready to take someone's place in the top 2 lines where they belong.  This is also why he has kept Tanev, Edler, MDZ and re-signed Guddy.

I think it will start with 

Petersson, Dahlen

Gaudette will be next

Lind will follow

Gadjovich will take his place on 3rd line LW 2nd line PP in 1-2 years

18 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

So there it is, my opening day forward roster:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Eriksson Sutter Pettersson 

Goldobin Beagle Gaudette

Roussel Schaller Virtanen 

Granlund/Gagner

I don't think we're going to see much in the way of classic set lines this year, imo its going to vary game to game and within games a lot. EP is probably looking at 10-12 min per night until later in the season and I think Green will try him on a few options on the PP and 5 on 5. These are some I think we'll see: 

Offensive line options:

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Petersson-Bo-Boeser

Eriksson-Bo-Boeser

Eriksson-Bo-Pettersson

Schaller-Bo-Pettersson (on nights against dirtier teams)

Match up line options:

Roussel Beagle Virtanen

Roussel Schaller Granlund

Roussel Sutter Granlund

Eriksson Sutter Granlund

Forwards that should definitely be in the Opening Day lineup (unless there's a trade):

F - Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Granlund, Sutter, Gagner, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Virtanen

That leaves one spot for one of - Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Gaudette, Leipsic, Archibald, Motte.

My guess its Pettersson.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Forwards that should definitely be in the Opening Day lineup (unless there's a trade):

F - Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Granlund, Sutter, Gagner, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Virtanen

That leaves one spot for one of - Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Gaudette, Leipsic, Archibald, Motte.

My guess its Pettersson.

I’m not disagreeing that these forwards will be in the Canucks starting lineup but I may disagree with the word “should”.  Granlund produced a whopping 12 points last year and Gagner who was brought in to bolster our power play has almost become redundant with the talent we have in some of our young guys especially when it comes to the power play.  We are looking for scoring so we may see some hard decisions being made with current and future potential to score which then puts Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Goldobin and Leipsic into the equation if they can show early that they can produce.

19 hours ago, Fateless said:

I really think you guys are underrating Leipsic. The guy put up 9 points in 14 games with us last season. At the very least, he's a decent third liner and I believe he should be on the opening night roster.

Leipsic over Gagner and probably over Goldobin as well. 

17 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Pettersson on a line with Sutter and Eriksson is scary.... and not in a good way. :lol:

Sutter is not a good distributor.  On the other hand, if Sutter took faceoffs but Pettersson played center... with Eriksson as the 2nd winger?  It would have to be worth trying, at least.

On the other hand, with the league more and more building around key pairings at forward, maybe:

Horvat and Virtanen together (add in Baertschi?)

Pettersson and Boeser together (add in Leipsic?) 

Which could give us two decent scoring lines, assuming Virtanen can continue to improve.  

Presumably the bottom six is easier to put together.  The addition of Beagle, Roussel and Schaller makes a huge difference. 

I'm going to try and change things up and suggest two potential line ideas that I haven't seen suggested that much.

Goldobin/Leipsic - Horvat - Boeser
We all know that Horvat and Boeser played well with Baertschi, but we all saw both of these combinations at the end of the season as well. And they worked nicely. I'd be keen to change the LW on the line and tailor it to the situation, so the team we're up against. I think Goldobin might be given the chance to shine in a top 6 role with these two guys, as they could really use a playmaker. But I almost think Leipsic would do a better job there, only he is more versatile and could be put on another line.

Baertschi - Beagle - Sutter
Beagle wanted a larger role and he could get it. By putting Baertschi to his left, it gives Baertschi a bit more of a defensive role but allows him to setup the other two in the hopes that they embrace the offensive role. Sutter on the RW is also underrated. We could very well see him transition to the wing for a couple of games

The rest of the line up would then be something like:
Roussel - Pettersson - Eriksson

Leipsic - Schaller - Virtanen

The idea would be to give Pettersson big minutes but under veteran supervision. That line would be decent defensively, with a couple of possibilities in the offensive zone. Roussel and Eriksson can get some gritty goals. And Roussel would be the agitator/ pest/ deterrent for Pettersson. The other line has a bit of everything, but mainly a ton of speed. I actually really enjoyed watching Leipsic with Virtanen and Gaudette with Virtanen, so as soon as a center goes down we could call up Gaudette and plug him in there. 

Granlund would be our 13th forward. I don't know what to think about Gagner. I didn't like the signing last year. His play at the end of last season was a bit too late to redeem himself for me. I would like to see him traded. In the case that he isn't, we could plug him beside Pettersson for the enhanced playmaking. But as many others have already mentioned. The line-up looks a little too full to me. Something has to fall. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser  (Showed great chemistry)

Roussel - Sutter - Granlund  (Matchup line (similar to when Dorsett was still in the lineup))

Erikkson - Beagle - Pettersson  (Insulate Pettersson with two defensively responsible vets)

Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen - (Looked good together end of the season)

Goldobin

Gaunce and Gagner - Vet presence in Utica - Call-ups for injuries 

Edler - Gudbranson - Looked good when they played together

Hughes - Tanev - Quinn can learn the ropes from a premier shutdown defenseman while allowing him to play his game

MDZ - Stetcher - I'm not a fan but what can you do 

Pouliot

Hutton

Markstrom

Nilsson 

Archived