The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Roster]Opening day forward line up

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah talk to @SabreFan1 about the pervasiveness of a losing culture. Once its in its hard to get rid of.

That's one of the reasons why ROR got traded.  Botterill is dropping people left and right in an effort to remake the lockerroom. 

Since a losing culture hasn't settled into Vancouver yet, JB can take the time to rebuild the team properly.  However, the Canucks can't continue to lose as much as they are.  Eventually a poor culture will ingrain itself into the organization organically. 

It happened quickly here in Buffalo because of the tank seasons coupled with a poor GM.  It continues to happen in Edmonton because the blind continue to lead the blind there year after year.

2 hours ago, Brobidus said:

I'm going to try and change things up and suggest two potential line ideas that I haven't seen suggested that much.

Goldobin/Leipsic - Horvat - Boeser
We all know that Horvat and Boeser played well with Baertschi, but we all saw both of these combinations at the end of the season as well. And they worked nicely. I'd be keen to change the LW on the line and tailor it to the situation, so the team we're up against. I think Goldobin might be given the chance to shine in a top 6 role with these two guys, as they could really use a playmaker. But I almost think Leipsic would do a better job there, only he is more versatile and could be put on another line.

Baertschi - Beagle - Sutter
Beagle wanted a larger role and he could get it. By putting Baertschi to his left, it gives Baertschi a bit more of a defensive role but allows him to setup the other two in the hopes that they embrace the offensive role. Sutter on the RW is also underrated. We could very well see him transition to the wing for a couple of games

The rest of the line up would then be something like:
Roussel - Pettersson - Eriksson

Leipsic - Schaller - Virtanen

The idea would be to give Pettersson big minutes but under veteran supervision. That line would be decent defensively, with a couple of possibilities in the offensive zone. Roussel and Eriksson can get some gritty goals. And Roussel would be the agitator/ pest/ deterrent for Pettersson. The other line has a bit of everything, but mainly a ton of speed. I actually really enjoyed watching Leipsic with Virtanen and Gaudette with Virtanen, so as soon as a center goes down we could call up Gaudette and plug him in there. 

Granlund would be our 13th forward. I don't know what to think about Gagner. I didn't like the signing last year. His play at the end of last season was a bit too late to redeem himself for me. I would like to see him traded. In the case that he isn't, we could plug him beside Pettersson for the enhanced playmaking. But as many others have already mentioned. The line-up looks a little too full to me. Something has to fall. 

I think Goldobin will be given a chance as well.  He needs to prove this year that hes an NHLer, and it needs to be in an offensive role, but I dont think he takes Baertschi's spot just yet.

Beagle and Sutter on the same line seems redundant to me.  Their skill sets are pretty similar and would serve the team better on separate lines I think.

It feels like its been so long since we've had this much depth.  I hope this will motivate our fringe players to really step up their game and show they belong.  It will be interesting to see how training camp plays out and how any injuries or acquisitions will play into the final cuts.

1 hour ago, Doogie said:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser  (Showed great chemistry)

Roussel - Sutter - Granlund  (Matchup line (similar to when Dorsett was still in the lineup))

Erikkson - Beagle - Pettersson  (Insulate Pettersson with two defensively responsible vets)

Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen - (Looked good together end of the season)

Goldobin

Gaunce and Gagner - Vet presence in Utica - Call-ups for injuries 

Edler - Gudbranson - Looked good when they played together

Hughes - Tanev - Quinn can learn the ropes from a premier shutdown defenseman while allowing him to play his game

MDZ - Stetcher - I'm not a fan but what can you do 

Pouliot

Hutton

Markstrom

Nilsson 

Was Granlund the other winger on that line when Dorsett was playing?

I agree with sheltering Pettersson for a bit with some responsible vets, whomever that may be, and I think he'll be centering a line before the season is done.

The only problen I have with your line up is that Schaller isn't there.  He proved to be a capable player in Boston and I think his roster spot is secure because of what he brings.  I feel like he'll surprise a lot of people and become a fan favourite because of the way he plays the game.

2 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

The only problen I have with your line up is that Schaller isn't there.

To be honest I completely forgot about Schaller but I would probably pencil him in for Leipsic. 

4 hours ago, Doogie said:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser  (Showed great chemistry)

Roussel - Sutter - Granlund  (Matchup line (similar to when Dorsett was still in the lineup))

Erikkson - Beagle - Pettersson  (Insulate Pettersson with two defensively responsible vets)

Leipsic - Gaudette - Virtanen - (Looked good together end of the season)

Goldobin

Gaunce and Gagner - Vet presence in Utica - Call-ups for injuries 

Edler - Gudbranson - Looked good when they played together

Hughes - Tanev - Quinn can learn the ropes from a premier shutdown defenseman while allowing him to play his game

MDZ - Stetcher - I'm not a fan but what can you do 

Pouliot

Hutton

Markstrom

Nilsson 

I also forgot about Archibald. With him, Leipsic, Gaunce, Gagner and Motte we have some decent depth in case of injuries but I think we need more; hopefully someone from Utica can step up if we have a repeat of last years injuries. 

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Schaller is not good at center. He is pretty weak on faceoffs and is more suited to wing.

Beagle is a 4th line guy. He should never be in our top 6.

So something like this?  Looks reasonable.  Who would be the two odd men out in your eyes?

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Eriksson Sutter Pettersson

Goldobin/Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Schaller

Granlund/Gagner

19 hours ago, Doogie said:

Yes I believe so. 

I wonder how management views Granlund.  We have too many young forwards battling for top 6 roles, and a plethora of bottom 6 forwards.  If Beagle and Roussel are taking over for Sutter and Dorsett on that match up line, does Granlund get the nod there because Green knows what he brings, or does someone like Schaller fill that role?

Roussel Beagle Schaller would be hell to play against.

• 2 weeks later...

FlyersCanucks

• Aces Prospect
  •  
  • FlyersCanucks
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Gaudette - Petterson

Leipsic - Sutter - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Schaller

Goldobin - Granlund - Eriksson

I think is the most likely lineup.

Anywho who thinks Sutter can be an efffective second line centre is dreaming.

He has never scored more than 21 goalsl & 34 points in season.

He is well suited to the 3rd line centre role.

Let Gaudette show us how he won the hobey baker at training camp.

Pettersen will also show how he looks on the right wing.

For the second line left wing will be will be whoever wins the position at training camp.

As of now...

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Granlund Goldobin

Liepsic Gagner Schaller/Rousell/Beagle

Extra: Gaunce, Dahlen, Gaudette, McEwen

What we need to do...

Sutter to Ducks for their 1st..

I like this because it's a potential lottery pick for us as I think the Ducks could potentially decline majorly this year. They have interest in Sutter so let's take advantage and get ourselves the unprotected 1st.

Baertschi to Dallas..

Trade him for Spezza and their 1st, now we have 3 1sts for our home draft. Throw in Granlund if there's any interest there. Just make sure we get that 1st!

Gagner for a 2nd or 3rd..

What our lines would look like...

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Eriksson Spezza Pettersson

Dahlen Gaudette Goldobin

Schaller Beagle Rousell

Depth: Liepsic, Gaunce, McEwen, others

If I was a betting man, i'm proposing this

Bear       Horvat      Boeser

Eriksson Beagle      Pettersson

Gagne    Gaudette  Goldobin

Rousell   Schaller    Virtannen

Move out Sutter for a prospect and a 4th 2019

Grandland and Boucher, Gaunce, Liepsic all put on waivers.

Virt needs to prove himself this year, nothing short of 15 goals

and 35 points. This is Goldobins final try as well, he needs 25 G and

45 points to stay.

1 hour ago, 12-16-FG said:

If I was a betting man, i'm proposing this

Bear       Horvat      Boeser

Eriksson Beagle      Pettersson

Gagne    Gaudette  Goldobin

Rousell   Schaller    Virtannen

Move out Sutter for a prospect and a 4th 2019

Grandland and Boucher, Gaunce, Liepsic all put on waivers.

Virt needs to prove himself this year, nothing short of 15 goals

and 35 points. This is Goldobins final try as well, he needs 25 G and

45 points to stay.

Apparently  Schaller starts the season injured.  I think the Canucks carry 14fws so they can buy time for young guys to prove themselves (especially waiver eligible Goldy and Lieps).  Sutter is a must for this season, as there will be so many young guys coming in an out of the lineup (and Beagle is a 4th line player .).  No need to throw so many at waivers.

Bear  Bo   Boes

Rousell  Pettersson  Erickson/Virtanen

Lieps  Sutter  Goldobin/Virtanen

Granlund   Beagle   Gaudette/Goldobin

Schaller (14th player injured)

This is a lineup that Green can play around with and have a good look at each of the young guys.  I just don't think training camp is a long enough time to really evaluate them.  So many options.:)

Imo, Gags is either traded or waived.  If they want to keep him in the lineup, Gaudette gets send to Utica.

• 2 weeks later...

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser
Baerstchi - Pettersson - Virtanen
Eriksson - Sutter - Gagner
Leipsic - Beagle - Roussel

Schaller, Granlund, Gaunce

Elder - Stetcher
Pouliot - Tanev
MDZ - Gudbranson
Hutton - Biega

Markstrom
Nilsson
Demko

I'm obviously hoping that Goldobin takes a BIG step. Tradable players include Gaunce, Granlund, Gagner & MDZ. Hutton will then have an opportunity to re-up his value while Juolevi will start in Utica until a spot opens up for him. I would like to see Juolevi make the team but it just will not happen. With no changes to the defence, I then declare TEAM TANK to be officially resumed! lol

On 2018-07-20 at 6:28 PM, Brock Botanen said:

As of now...

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Virtanen Granlund Goldobin

Liepsic Gagner Schaller/Rousell/Beagle

Extra: Gaunce, Dahlen, Gaudette, McEwen

What we need to do...

Sutter to Ducks for their 1st..

I like this because it's a potential lottery pick for us as I think the Ducks could potentially decline majorly this year. They have interest in Sutter so let's take advantage and get ourselves the unprotected 1st.

Baertschi to Dallas..

Trade him for Spezza and their 1st, now we have 3 1sts for our home draft. Throw in Granlund if there's any interest there. Just make sure we get that 1st!

Gagner for a 2nd or 3rd..

What our lines would look like...

Virtanen Horvat Boeser

Eriksson Spezza Pettersson

Dahlen Gaudette Goldobin

Schaller Beagle Rousell

Depth: Liepsic, Gaunce, McEwen, others

Gosh you're dreaming. Sutter is worth a 3rd rounder maybe a very late 2nd. Then switch Goldobin and Virtanen. Both are better and more natural in the opposite wing to which you had them 

i think it is great that none of us can agree on a line up, it means there is going to be good battles at camp. that is something we didn't have to do before. 

i'ld like to see; 

pettersson...horvat...boeser,

baertschi...sutter...ericksson,

leipsic...gaudette...virtanen,

roussel...beagle...schaller,

granlund...goldobin.

edler...stecher,

juolevi...tanev,

brisebois...gudbranson,

pouliot...stecher.

markstrom...demko

On 7/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Pettersson sucks at faceoffs but would hopefully get better working with Manny Malhotra. With Sutter, Beagle, and Horvat the team should be in good shape even if Pettersson fails to hit 40%. I see his line getting generous offensive zone starts. Love the speed of the three players and this should help Virtanen develop his offensive game. Bottom two lines get to eat up the tough minutes 5 on 5 and on the PK. 

I didn't realize he sucks at faceoffs so bad.  Maybe he SHOULD be a winger.  (Though Boeser is already our top line RW and I'm not sure Pettersson can/has played the LW?)

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I didn't realize he sucks at faceoffs so bad.  Maybe he SHOULD be a winger.  (Though Boeser is already our top line RW and I'm not sure Pettersson can/has played the LW?)

Pettersson has extremely strong firearms and hands.  He has super quick muscle fibres.  He’s incredibly smart.  He’s hyper competitive.  He will definitely become a very good face off guy.

12 hours ago, Daver Triemstra said:

Gosh you're dreaming. Sutter is worth a 3rd rounder maybe a very late 2nd. Then switch Goldobin and Virtanen. Both are better and more natural in the opposite wing to which you had them 

Virtanen deffiently won't be a 3rd liner.

Virtanen Pettersson Boeser

Or 

Boeser Pettersson Virtanen

Archived