The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Senators give teams permission to negotiate with Erik Karlsson

3 hours ago, Solinar said:

Forget about Nylander for Tanev, boys.  It's going to be Nylander, Lillijgren, Kapenen and a first for 2 years for Karlsson.

That's just not how it works in Toronto anymore.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Just have to offer slightly more than the next team is offering.

What team is going to part with a player like Boeser and Pettersson? 

IIRC wasn't Ottawa and Vegas talking trade at the deadline, with Glass being the sticking point?

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Vancouver is not in on this now nor would they ever be and rightfully so.

Any discussion with Ottawa does not include eating Ryans contract so much as it starts with Boeser and Petterson as well as next years 1st round pick.

Let someone else overpay

Please Please don't make this trade!!!

To trade 1st O/A 2019,  2nd rounder  2020, Boser, Joulevi  ..

This would set Vancouver back 3 years on rebuild.. 

Karlsson 28  would not make us a playoff team...He is 28 and to give up all those prospect would be just stupid??

Fans amaze me they want a rebuild and then come sign Karlsson???

Never any fan knows it would be stupid to chase karlsson..

He would help the top 10 teams make a series cup run!!

We are 2 years away from playoffs.

Its called rebuild and no stupid Karlsson trades...Cost way to much to get him..

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

IIRC wasn't Ottawa and Vegas talking trade at the deadline, with Glass being the sticking point?

Exactly, even Vegas won't part with their only top prospect and Boeser and Pettersson have higher value.

I personally believe we could acquire him without giving up Bo, Boes, Petersson, Hughes, or next year's first. We have other moveable assets like Juolevi, Virtanen, Demko/DiPietro, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Tanev (maybe), Lind, Goldobin, Baer, 2019 2nd/later picks, 2020 1st... If we could negotiate a fair long term extension ahead of time I think it should be worth pursuing. Karl almost single handedly took Ottawa to the finals and he has lots of gas left in the tank. Hall of Fame dmen don't come around too often and I think the Swedish connection plus the up and coming talent we have here would make him a great fit.

13 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Maybe they just want to see what other teams are willing to pay him.

He's already got the bar set with Doughty, more than once he's said he won't sign for less....but OTT sure is looking like they won't keep him so might as well get on with it.

12 hours ago, VanGnome said:

WOW. Please be in on this Benning. A top pairing of Hughes + Karlsson would be amazing. Offer to take on Bobby Ryan's horrid contract in order to lessen the amount going back to Ottawa for the trade

Better than Hughes+Karlsson pairing is to pair each of them with a defensively stable partner. For example, Edler-Karlsson followed by Hughes-Tanev/Gudbranson. Then, our third pairing would be Juolevi-Stecher. Every pairing can move the puck and skate with the puck. 

Ryan is signed for 4 more seasons at 7.25M. I think we will be OK taking on his cap hit for the next two, maybe three seasons depending on how the negotiation with Brock goes. 

With EK and Ryan, 2019-20 salaries could be,

EK (D): 12

Ryan: 7.25

Eriksson: 6

Horvat: 5.5

Tanev (D): 4.45

Sutter:  4.375

Gud (D): 4

Marky: 3.66

Baer: 3.66

Gagner: 3.15

Roussel: 3

Beagle: 3

Stecher (D): ~2.8 (estimate, assuming he will get Hutton money)

Schaller: 1.9

Virtanen: ~ 1.5 (estimate)

EP, Gaudette, Huges (D), Dahlen, Juolevi (D): Entry level

That's roughly 70M for 13F, 6D, 1G, with Boeser and Demko to be signed as RFA and Edler as UFA.

Assuming Demko comes in at around 3 mil, that leaves about 6+ mil to sign Brock and Edler. Of course, cap could have arisen to maybe 82-84 mil by then, which may give us up to 10 mil to sign Brock and Edler. 

I guess taking on Ryan's contract will lower the price for acquiring EK, but even then we would have to give up, at minimum 2 roster players (say CDC and my favourites Tanev and Baer), a first round pick (2020 since we need one in 2019 as the host), and/or a high-end prospect (Juolevi caliber?). I'd hate to give up on Juolevi though...

5 hours ago, cdubuya said:

I personally believe we could acquire him without giving up Bo, Boes, Petersson, Hughes, or next year's first. We have other moveable assets like Juolevi, Virtanen, Demko/DiPietro, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Tanev (maybe), Lind, Goldobin, Baer, 2019 2nd/later picks, 2020 1st... If we could negotiate a fair long term extension ahead of time I think it should be worth pursuing. Karl almost single handedly took Ottawa to the finals and he has lots of gas left in the tank. Hall of Fame dmen don't come around too often and I think the Swedish connection plus the up and coming talent we have here would make him a great fit.

You never do know...I'd say the deck is dealt against us acquiring him for a lot of reasons, but stranger things have happened.

To Ott:

Juolevi (Blue chip D prospect), Baertschi (help replace Hoffman's scoring), Gaudette (blue chip forward prospect), 2020 1st round pick

To Van:

Karlsson

Ryan

That would be my offer. We have a ton of forward prospects. We don't lose anything irreplaceable. They get help for now and the future. It might not get it done, but that's as far as my pitch would go.

Boeser & Pettersson, next years first lol...  You guys are nuts to think EK has that much value, if any.  He's a UFA after this year and can walk for nothing just like Tavares.  Ottawa will be lucky to get anything for him and they'll likely botch that move as well.  Some of these trade proposals are nuts lol.  I'd offer up 2020 non lotto 1st and maybe a 2nd and that's it.  If they say no then tell the sens we'll offer EK a contract next year when he bolts for nothing:)

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

If EK was signed to an extension, would Edmonton trade Draisatl for EK and Ryan?  Would Ottawa?

I don't think they will have to. They can offer a nice mix of picks and prospects very hard for others to match. No one is taking Ryan's deal, and Ottawa needs it to get to the cap floor now anyway. 

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

To Ott:

Juolevi (Blue chip D prospect), Baertschi (help replace Hoffman's scoring), Gaudette (blue chip forward prospect), 2020 1st round pick

To Van:

Karlsson

Ryan

That would be my offer. We have a ton of forward prospects. We don't lose anything irreplaceable. They get help for now and the future. It might not get it done, but that's as far as my pitch would go.

Trading for Karlsson 28 would not be smart...The prospects we would have to give up and this would not make us a playoff team???? Keep on rebuild and don't rush this, we will be very good in 2 years if we keep on rebuild.

We can make trades to fill a position when we are ready..We are not  ready for big name players at this time of rebuild.

Patient patient stay with rebuild and let young prospects mature. We have so many very young guys drafted by Benning :... Boser 21, Pettersson 19, Virtanen 21, Gaudette, 22, Demko 22, Tryamkin 22, Juolevi 20, Hughes 19, Lind 19, Gadjovich 19, Jasek 21, Lockwood 20, Briesbois 21, Chatfield, Sautner 23, Dipietro 19, Bassard, Rathbone 19, Gunnerson 19, Palmu 20, Woo 18 and rest of 2018 picks.. Very exciting Bt drafting.

Dahlen 21 - (Burrow trade) ,  Goldobin - (Hansen trade)

I can tell you Karlsson will also want to go to a top 10 team that has chance to will the cup..

His salary will be 11 million x 7 years

Keep building these prospects so many almost ready..

2 hours ago, khay said:

Better than Hughes+Karlsson pairing is to pair each of them with a defensively stable partner. For example, Edler-Karlsson followed by Hughes-Tanev/Gudbranson. Then, our third pairing would be Juolevi-Stecher. Every pairing can move the puck and skate with the puck. 

Ryan is signed for 4 more seasons at 7.25M. I think we will be OK taking on his cap hit for the next two, maybe three seasons depending on how the negotiation with Brock goes. 

With EK and Ryan, 2019-20 salaries could be,

EK (D): 12

Ryan: 7.25

Eriksson: 6

Horvat: 5.5

Tanev (D): 4.45

Sutter:  4.375

Gud (D): 4

Marky: 3.66

Baer: 3.66

Gagner: 3.15

Roussel: 3

Beagle: 3

Stecher (D): ~2.8 (estimate, assuming he will get Hutton money)

Schaller: 1.9

Virtanen: ~ 1.5 (estimate)

EP, Gaudette, Huges (D), Dahlen, Juolevi (D): Entry level

That's roughly 70M for 13F, 6D, 1G, with Boeser and Demko to be signed as RFA and Edler as UFA.

Assuming Demko comes in at around 3 mil, that leaves about 6+ mil to sign Brock and Edler. Of course, cap could have arisen to maybe 82-84 mil by then, which may give us up to 10 mil to sign Brock and Edler. 

I guess taking on Ryan's contract will lower the price for acquiring EK, but even then we would have to give up, at minimum 2 roster players (say CDC and my favourites Tanev and Baer), a first round pick (2020 since we need one in 2019 as the host), and/or a high-end prospect (Juolevi caliber?). I'd hate to give up on Juolevi though...

Boser contract next year? 6- 6.5  million x 6 years

Archived