The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Senators give teams permission to negotiate with Erik Karlsson

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Trading for Karlsson 28 would not be smart...The prospects we would have to give up and this would not make us a playoff team???? Keep on rebuild and don't rush this, we will be very good in 2 years if we keep on rebuild.

We can make trades to fill a position when we are ready..We are not  ready for big name players at this time of rebuild.

Patient patient stay with rebuild and let young prospects mature. We have so many very young guys drafted by Benning :... Boser 21, Pettersson 19, Virtanen 21, Gaudette, 22, Demko 22, Tryamkin 22, Juolevi 20, Hughes 19, Lind 19, Gadjovich 19, Jasek 21, Lockwood 20, Briesbois 21, Chatfield, Sautner 23, Dipietro 19, Bassard, Rathbone 19, Gunnerson 19, Palmu 20, Woo 18 and rest of 2018 picks.. Very exciting Bt drafting.

Dahlen 21 - (Burrow trade) ,  Goldobin - (Hansen trade)

I can tell you Karlsson will also want to go to a top 10 team that has chance to will the cup..

His salary will be 11 million x 7 years

Keep building these prospects so many almost ready..

I'd have no issues with us not getting Karlsson, but at the same time he's one of the best Dmen in the world, and he's young. That doesn't happen very often. If he's available, which he clearly is, I think it's a mistake not to make a pitch and see where it goes. We won't be the only team in on it, so the price would have to make sense (no Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat), but if it does, I don't see how anybody can say we took a step backwards in our rebuild by acquiring a 28 year old Karlsson.

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

I'd have no issues with us not getting Karlsson, but at the same time he's one of the best Dmen in the world, and he's young. That doesn't happen very often. If he's available, which he clearly is, I think it's a mistake not to make a pitch and see where it goes. We won't be the only team in on it, so the price would have to make sense (no Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat), but if it does, I don't see how anybody can say we took a step backwards in our rebuild by acquiring a 28 year old Karlsson.

I hope Benning will not trade for Karlsson 28...Vancouver is on rebuild?

Giving up 2019 O/A pick possibly top 5,  Juolevi,  ( Pettersson or Boser)

Trading for Karlsson 28 we will still not make playoffs and set rebuild back as we have to give up very good prospect x 3 of them....Not ready for this type of trade 3 yrs into rebuild...In 2 yrs we will be ready for trades like this... need to trade for players that fit in rebuild age 25 and under..Players like Trouba 24, Morrissey 23, Bowey 22, Dumba 23 are players that we should be after at the right time..

Hughes 19  and Juolevi 20 will be top 4 D men very soon...Kep on rebuild no silly trades for Veteran players that will cost several prospect..

I'm in the camp that says go for it, as long as it doesn't require Horvat, Pettersson, or Boeser. Presuming Karlsson signs a long extension, I'd even consider taking on Ryan, and giving up Hughes and a first.  

Even if we are extremely bad the next few seasons, there will be worse teams. Arizona will be brutal again next year, and the Islanders have just been abruptly dismantled. With the structure of the draft lottery there is no guarantee we will pick in the top three, possibly even the top 5. The odds of landing a franchise player in that range are low. If both Pettersson and Boeser buck the statistics, great! But that is statistically very rare. We cannot assume that we will pick the gem of the draft every year. If we really believe in our young players, including the likes of Gadjovich, Lind and Joulevi, we need to give them the support to succeed. Right now we have a below average defensive core, with a below average top defensive pairing.     

You would be fortunate to draft a player like Karlsson with anything other than a 1st or 2nd overall pick. By the time that player matures into a star, all of our best players will be commanding monster salaries, or will be gone. I think there is a real risk of ending up Edmonton-lite, drafting good but not great players and ending up middle of the pack or worse, like Calgary. With Karlsson you have added a 20+ minute a night star defenceman who can mentor younger players and get the puck to our budding forwards. 

18 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Here is how it goes:

Benning - "Erik, we would love you to come to the Canucks and tutor our young D and to play with Elias - the torch you pass to the next great Swede".

Erik - "Jim, anything.   Just get me out of here!   Please.   I will sign for anything".

Benning - "We don't have enough to trade for you in a conventional sense but we do have CAP space....can we lowball your numbers and take on Bobby Ryan too?"

Erik - "Jim, I will PAY YOU to get me the h*ll out of this asylum".

Benning - "Done, we will give you max years with low AAV but promise you a nice retirement position with the organization and will take on Bobby as well"

Erik -  "Thank you Jim.   I was really worried they were going to try and trade me to someone like Edmonton - one crazy show is enough for me".

Benning - "Erik, no worries.   Hank/Danny say hi".

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Yes. The negotiation is probably to see if he can be re-signed. No sense trading for a guy that will just hit FA in a year.

Ok, well even with our logjam of forwards I don't see us having the assets to bring him in.

Like.. Would Lind, DiPietro, Baertschi and a 1st get it done? Probably not. And that's more than I'd already be willing to give. 

5 hours ago, khay said:

Better than Hughes+Karlsson pairing is to pair each of them with a defensively stable partner. For example, Edler-Karlsson followed by Hughes-Tanev/Gudbranson. Then, our third pairing would be Juolevi-Stecher. Every pairing can move the puck and skate with the puck. 

Ryan is signed for 4 more seasons at 7.25M. I think we will be OK taking on his cap hit for the next two, maybe three seasons depending on how the negotiation with Brock goes. 

With EK and Ryan, 2019-20 salaries could be,

EK (D): 12

Ryan: 7.25

Eriksson: 6

Horvat: 5.5

Tanev (D): 4.45

Sutter:  4.375

Gud (D): 4

Marky: 3.66

Baer: 3.66

Gagner: 3.15

Roussel: 3

Beagle: 3

Stecher (D): ~2.8 (estimate, assuming he will get Hutton money)

Schaller: 1.9

Virtanen: ~ 1.5 (estimate)

EP, Gaudette, Huges (D), Dahlen, Juolevi (D): Entry level

That's roughly 70M for 13F, 6D, 1G, with Boeser and Demko to be signed as RFA and Edler as UFA.

Assuming Demko comes in at around 3 mil, that leaves about 6+ mil to sign Brock and Edler. Of course, cap could have arisen to maybe 82-84 mil by then, which may give us up to 10 mil to sign Brock and Edler. 

I guess taking on Ryan's contract will lower the price for acquiring EK, but even then we would have to give up, at minimum 2 roster players (say CDC and my favourites Tanev and Baer), a first round pick (2020 since we need one in 2019 as the host), and/or a high-end prospect (Juolevi caliber?). I'd hate to give up on Juolevi though...

I don't think it's so much giving up on Juolevi as providing value to Ottawa and replacing him with Karlsson, considering we have Hughes now, he's instantly our best LHD. It just goes to show that Vancouver is one of few teams with both the cap space and the depth of resources required to be able to meet the price.

Tanev, Baertschi, Juolevi and 2020 1st is a hell of a good deal for Ottawa for a player they are going to lose no matter what AND shed a disgusting contract.

9 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I don't think it's so much giving up on Juolevi as providing value to Ottawa and replacing him with Karlsson, considering we have Hughes now, he's instantly our best LHD. It just goes to show that Vancouver is one of few teams with both the cap space and the depth of resources required to be able to meet the price.

Tanev, Baertschi, Juolevi and 2020 1st is a hell of a good deal for Ottawa for a player they are going to lose no matter what AND shed a disgusting contract.

I doubt Baertschi gets traded on the heels of re-signing here unless he would be the lynch pin to a deal. It would smack of lip service during contract negotiations. However, a deal is a deal and in the end it's not personal.

The thing is, would we be surprised if EK just plays out the string and walks as a UFA? Tavares just did it. It may become a normal thing in the NHL moving forward. Would make for some interesting NTC/NMC negotiations moving forward. Might even end those NT/NM clauses altogether if players block deals and pending star UFAs walk more.

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I doubt Baertschi gets traded on the heels of re-signing here unless he would be the lynch pin to a deal. It would smack of lip service during contract negotiations. However, a deal is a deal and in the end it's not personal.

The thing is, would we be surprised if EK just plays out the string and walks as a UFA? Tavares just did it. It may become a normal thing in the NHL moving forward. Would make for some interesting NTC/NMC negotiations moving forward. Might even end those NT/NM clauses altogether if players block deals and pending star UFAs walk more.

The whole point to this article is that teams are negotiating potential extensions PRIOR to trading for Karlsson, so it provides a sense of security in that if you give up these assets, he's not going to walk on July 1.

Would love for Karlsson to come out now and say he’s going to ufa no matter what happens...... 

give a public list of 1 team he’s willing to go to for this season make sure it’s a cap crunched team.

Play out his days as a sen and wave goodbye to the cr.p owners with a certain finger. 

Not sure what Dallas has to offer to make them a front runner. Stars need to sign Seguin next year too and that wont be cheap.

I guess they could offer Klingberg as part of the deal, but would think they would like to add EK withought losing him.

Still think Colorado should get him by offer back OTT 1st round pick as part of the deal. Other than taking Bobby Ryan what pieces would Vegas be sending back 2019 1st and Glass?

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not sure what Dallas has to offer to make them a front runner. Stars need to sign Seguin next year too and that wont be cheap.

I guess they could offer Klingberg as part of the deal, but would think they would like to add EK withought losing him.

Still think Colorado should get him by offer back OTT 1st round pick as part of the deal. Other than taking Bobby Ryan what pieces would Vegas be sending back 2019 1st and Glass?

Im with you,.   It almost seems as though the Stars are acting desperate to sign him...   last i heard, late this afternoon, was that Dallas had offered nothing that appealed to Ottawa.

19 hours ago, wildcam said:

I hope Benning will not trade for Karlsson 28...Vancouver is on rebuild?

Giving up 2019 O/A pick possibly top 5,  Juolevi,  ( Pettersson or Boser)

Trading for Karlsson 28 we will still not make playoffs and set rebuild back as we have to give up very good prospect x 3 of them....Not ready for this type of trade 3 yrs into rebuild...In 2 yrs we will be ready for trades like this... need to trade for players that fit in rebuild age 25 and under..Players like Trouba 24, Morrissey 23, Bowey 22, Dumba 23 are players that we should be after at the right time..

Hughes 19  and Juolevi 20 will be top 4 D men very soon...Kep on rebuild no silly trades for Veteran players that will cost several prospect..

Well I suggested we do the 1st in 2020 to guard from another possible bottom of the league finish next year. You don't trade for his just for this year. Or the next 3 years. He's 28, he still has many years left in the tank, and even if we are not extremely competitive, the effect he would have on stabilizing the defense and showing Quinn Hughes the ropes goes a long way. Think of it this way, bringing him here makes Tanev expendable so we can get a little value back.

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Well I suggested we do the 1st in 2020 to guard from another possible bottom of the league finish next year. You don't trade for his just for this year. Or the next 3 years. He's 28, he still has many years left in the tank, and even if we are not extremely competitive, the effect he would have on stabilizing the defense and showing Quinn Hughes the ropes goes a long way. Think of it this way, bringing him here makes Tanev expendable so we can get a little value back.

I do understand your point it has value..I just feei lets not trade away 1st rounder 2019 another very good class of players. We are still on rebuild lets be patient.. We can make trades at the right time for certain players when we are ready for playoff run....

I feel we are 2-3 yrs from being very competitive in the west division....

So excited about top prospects, Pettersson, Demko, Gaudette, Hughes, Juolevi, Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Jasek ,Lockwood, Briesbois, Chattfield, Dipietro, Rathbone, Woo...Older D men McEneny 23, Sauntner 23

Archived