The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will we finish higher or lower in the standings?

CanucksJay

I feel privileged that I was able to watch the WCE and then the Twins take over. 

While losing Henrik and Daniel hurts, 

I truly feel like this year's team will be far harder to play against. 

My bet is that while we lose our future hall of famers, we will finish higher in the standings compared to last year. 

I still don't know whether that's good (for those hoping to win the draft lottery) but my take is that we will not only ice a more competitive lineup but it will be fast and entertaining. 

I'm loving the direction of this team and look forward to the start of the season. 

Do you think we'll finish higher or lower in the standings compared to last year? 

if we play mostly our youth, than it will be fun to watch ;) , but at the end we will be lower in the standings and we will have a shot at 1st overall pick .

id be surprised if we did better than last year, very surprised and in shock . 

Will take another season or two before we can actually contend and do something in the playoffs

I think with a better PP, PK, and OT game we'll fare a little better in the standings. I think with the added physicality it will keep the play in front of us with added puck pressure, thus reducing injuries. 

I think injuries happen with lapses of concentration and fatigue. I think we're more balanced now and able to roll 4 lines, so with less injuries we should get more points.

Although when we do get injuries we'll get a boost from the young guys coming up, like Palmu or Boucher.

I think we will be in the 80-85 point range; not playoffs, but improved. Boeser will be healthy, the new additions will make the bottom 6 solid. With a deeper and improved forward group, the D will not be quite as stressed and will play a little better. The forward youth (Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, et al) will not have the pressure on them to come in and be immediately depended on for scoring. Sure, we may be a bit of a throw back team, but we are faster now, and bigger, and more abrasive; ie not as easy to play against.

Despite losing the Sedins production I believe we'll finish higher. I expect several young guys to improve on last year and I believe Petterson will be next years Boeser - in the Calder hunt. And with more talent joining the Comets we'll have better depth for call-ups. The biggest question mark is the D and whether or not there's a step forward there.

If the team sees a lot of injuries once again this year then the Canucks will have good odds to draft Hughes.  If they stay healthy, then an 80 point season won't be out of the question.  Competent goaltending is still a problem right now.

Either way, the Canucks be in the lottery mix for Hughes.

There are too many maybes and other ifs going into this season to  expect much of an improvement.  The team that we saw at the end of the season played great, but so did the Sedins, not sure Pettersson and blank will be better than them over a course of an entire season, although Markstrom also played better which could be the difference maker.

If Tanev can play 75 games and OJ makes the defense and can be the best option after Tanev and Edler and nobody in the top six gets injured than yes, I think we can improve five or ten points.  Otherwise 5-7 will be where we get next seasons lottery odds at.  Which is what the team needs anyways.  

Lower... #TankForHughesBrother

But in all honesty, outside of potentially Hughes or even OJ (and my expectations aren't super high for him right now with his injury), our D was embarrassing last year, and we have brought every single on back this year with the same 2 goaltenders, what makes me think it would be any better.  Its been a tire fire for 3 years running now with little to no change.  

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think with a better PP, PK, and OT game we'll fare a little better in the standings. I think with the added physicality it will keep the play in front of us with added puck pressure, thus reducing injuries. 

I think injuries happen with lapses of concentration and fatigue. I think we're more balanced now and able to roll 4 lines, so with less injuries we should get more points.

Also when we do get injuries we'll get a boost from the young guys coming up.

I hate to look forward to injuries, but I am looking forward to seeing some new faces on the team.  Benning hasn't said it outright but my interpretation of his Sutter remarks (Beagle is here so now Sutter can move into a more offensive role) is he's centering the second line with Pettersson as one of his wingers, maybe JV as his other (don't see much point in messing with BBBs line)...but I'd like to see Dahlen get some games too.  There likely will be some growing pains and some line juggling, and a fair number of guys starting in the AHL too, Utica will be loaded this year.

I don't think they can drop any more. The fact is the finished 4 points higher than the previous season. There's a lot of unknowns. 

But the good side is the cupboards are being restocked. Meaning that some players might be able to get moved. They may not get 1st rounders, but hopefully

the team can go into next draft with more picks. 

Might want to wait until the team finishes preseason to get a better idea.

Lower.

call it the adjustment year

the adjustment  - 100 points was taken out of the line up two very good players that could eat minutes and were responsible.

not to many team that lose two to of their best top six players go onto improve.

Goaltending the same and it wasn’t all that good last year

The d hasn’t improved at all. 

We’ve downgraded at forward. 

Tougher and grittier and hopefully another rookie or two make the line up and it will be a fun year to watch.

no longer I can’t believe there not butter Canucks 

some trades are needed thou to make room for some more kids.

OJ Hughes Ep would great to see as Canucks regulars. Alone side jake bo and brock 

That alone will sell more tickets.

i think one more bad season and then we will to start to climb out of the basement. 

Same point range or slightly higher, this team and organization still have growing to do. There should be encouraging signs this year though, but we'll see how our young guys handle being the go to offensive engines. It'll be different without the twins taking on some of the load.

It's so hard to say, and will depend largely on whether our young guys play and how well they play.

Gaudette, Pettersson, Hughes, Juolevi, Dahlen, Leipsic could all factor into the scoresheet and factor big.  Or they might not play.  Or they DO play, but fall flat on their faces.

Then there are the guys we have.  Will Eriksson finally have a bounceback season I've been saying I expect from him?  Will Virtanen turn that next page and become the player we all hope?  What about Baertschi, who's season was hampered.  Perhaps Gagne will actually put up some decent points this time.  Will Edler continue to play well like he did last season?  Does Gudbranson show us that he's worth the contract he was given?  What about the 3 new guys we brought in.  Will Roussel have a bounceback year? 

So many questions - I don't think any of us can truly answer the OP's question right now.

If I was forced to guess, maybe half the above actually happens.  And unfortunately, that's not enough to make up the 150 points we lose with the twins and Vanek now gone.  So - again, if I was forced - I'd say we have a worse year in the 70 point region. That's my logical side speaking.

My emotional side says the opposite.  It says that there is an excitement generated with this team I haven't seen for a while.  We all know what is coming and with all that optimism it is easy to get ahead of ourselves and think everyone is going to put it all together right away.  While I know that is unlikely, I know there is also a chance.  And if that actually happens, this team is going to surprise a lot of the nay-sayers and so-called experts.

Any way you look at it, this should be a faster, grittier team which should be more entertaining to watch.  And since we are a long shot to make the playoffs as it is, my only desire at this point is to watch some good hockey.

I think losing the twins will be a hard blow to take and we'll finish lower this year. I'm counting on 2019-20 being our breakout year, but who knows.

Still, the team should be entertaining enough to watch with some exciting young talent.

Archived