The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alexandre Burrows announces retirement

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

The thing about legends is their jerseys never go out of style. I still wear Linden jerseys proudly. 

I am also waiting to purchase a Horvat jersey, but I’m going to wait until it has the “C” on it. ;)

Same. 

Hi everyone,

My heart is heavy right now and I am so torn up.   But I promise soon I will post stories and pictures as I have many.   A person that was my all time FAV in my hockey life . . .  He is truly "ONE IN A MILLION" and he will not be forgotten.  

1 hour ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Only Canuck jersey I’ve ever purchased and wore it proudly for years. Was waiting for his retirement to make a Horvat purchase, but now that it’s here I’m feeling kinda down about the idea :(  

Great career Alex, you’re the kind of player that all kids can and should look up to; that you don’t need to necessarily be the most skilled, but if you work hard enough and believe in yourself, you can accomplish anything. 

Wear your Burrows jersey with pride.  I personally love seeing people with older jerseys of long-gone favourites.  Shared some good memories with fellow fans as a result.

One of the greatest Canucks and I have seen them all over almost 50 years. From the year he broke in he was something special as he would not accept losing without going down fighting. He and Kesler led the change in culture that the Canucks had fallen into. Turning the other cheek was not in his DNA.

When the team needed a goal who came on the ice? Always Burrows and how many times did he come through with a thrilling winner! He was a big game player without fail. I would retire his # before one of those already up in the rafters but I am not interested in that old argument. Winners have something special inside them and Alex Burrows had that something in spades. Rest easy Burr you earned it!:wub:

I assume we'll see him in the Ring of Honour in the next year or two. He scored the biggest goal in franchise history (up until the goal that gets us a Stanley Cup is scored). An absolute warrior on the ice for us and a great guy off of it. His story is one of the best in Canucks history.

Only thing that sucks is that he didn't get to sign a 1 day contract to retire as a Canuck. I'm a little disappointed about that.

I have to assume Kevin Bieksa will be retiring next....

I'm not surprised, but I am sad. I'm also glad that he had the good sense to go and not try to hang on as a player any longer. Sometimes the thing that takes the most strength is knowing when to walk away.

He will forever be a Canuck and I will forever be a fan! I wish him all the best in his coaching career.

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

When the team needed a goal who came on the ice? Always Burrows and how many times did he come through with a thrilling winner! He was a big game player without fail. I would retire his # before one of those already up in the rafters but I am not interested in that old argument. Winners have something special inside them and Alex Burrows had that something in spades. Rest easy Burr you earned it!:wub:

Remember that long losing streak during the first year of Gillis as GM?  Had to think he had pressure from "high on up" to fire Vigneault (I believe Vigneault confirmed this).  It was Burrows that ended that streak with one of his timely goals.

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If they retire 22 and 33 jerseys, I sure as hell hope he can make the ceremony. It won't be the same without Burr.

I have a feeling he'll definitely be there. Possibly Juice as well, as I'm thinking that he might consider retirement now.

Huge credit to Henrik, Daniel, and Alex for not trying to milk anything and go out on their terms.

10 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

all the best in your retirement alex ... you are one of my alltime nucks players :)

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

One of the greatest Canucks and I have seen them all over almost 50 years. From the year he broke in he was something special as he would not accept losing without going down fighting. He and Kesler led the change in culture that the Canucks had fallen into. Turning the other cheek was not in his DNA.

We have been lucky to enjoy AB’s best years on the ice,   I am hopeful, and look forward to his best years off the ice, having an intricate part in Hockey still.

Good luck on your extended journey Alex,  see you in the rafters and beyond.

Archived