The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alexandre Burrows announces retirement

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

too bad he signed to be a coach from montreals farm team. Would have liked to see him get a role with us, sure is deserving of that imo. Maybe it will happen down the road?

I have a feeling he is gonna have a long and successful career as a coach.

11 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

too bad he signed to be a coach from montreals farm team. Would have liked to see him get a role with us, sure is deserving of that imo. Maybe it will happen down the road?

Never say never.  They were speculating on 650 yesterday that the decision was probably made so that the "kids" could be closer to grandparents and other family for their growing years.   Maybe we see Burrows back in some capacity when the kids are older? 

Ex-Canuck Dan Hamhuis: Alex Burrows was ‘a tremendous teammate’

Hamhuis-Burrows-1040x572.jpg

Alex Burrows and Dan Hamhuis during the pair's time as teammates in Vancouver. (Marcio Jose Sanchez/AP)

Teammates loved him, opponents hated him. That was Alex Burrows‘ brand of hockey — one he played for 13 seasons before calling it a career on Friday.

Defenceman Dan Hamhuis experienced both perspectives, and discussed his beloved teammate of six years (and not-so-beloved opponent of eight) during an appearance on Sportsnet 650’s The Program on Friday.

“He was a tremendous teammate, he was a bugger to play against. That kind of explains it,” Hamhuis, currently an unrestricted free agent, said. “He’s a guy that, everybody around the league that doesn’t play with him hates him, and every guy that plays with him loves him. And that really sums him up. There’s a lot of guys out there like that in the league and he’s certainly one of them. I’m glad that I had the chance to be a teammate of his.”

Hamhuis, who spent the first six years of his career in Nashville, admitted he wasn’t sure what he was getting himself into when he joined the Canucks in 2010.

“He was one of a few guys I thought I might have issues with in Vancouver when I signed there,” Hamhuis said with a laugh. “I think he was actually my last fight I’d had — he and I fought in Nashville my last year there and then sure enough we end up being teammates in the fall so we had a good chuckle out of that.

“It’s just the type of game he plays,” Hamhuis continued. “That’s why he made it the way he did, through the [ECHL] and AHL and up to the NHL, because he plays really close to that line and sometimes over the line. But coaches like that, players that play against him hate it. It inspires teammates, the passion he brings and his desire to win, and that’s him and that’s why I think he’s had such a great 13-year NHL career.”

Burrows took the long road to the pros, climbing up the ranks in the ECHL and AHL for five seasons after going undrafted before making the jump to the Canucks in 2005-06. He finished his career with 205 goals, 204 assists and 409 points in 913 career NHL regular season games — all but 91 spent with the Canucks. The gritty winger also posted 1,134 penalty minutes — not to mention, a few calls from the NHL’s Player Safety Department.

Now retired, he’ll start the 2018-19 season as an assistant coach with the Laval Rocket, AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens. Hamhuis said he wasn’t surprised to see the longtime NHLer make the transition to coaching.

“You want people like that in your organization, so that’s a great win for that team to have him on board,” he said. “He’s a smart player. He played with the Sedins for so many years, and they play high-I.Q. hockey, and he had to figure out how to do that. I mean, they’re easy to play with in a way but they also play a very smart game and it takes a smart player to be able to play with them and be successful and [Burrows] certainly did that.

“He’s a tremendous people-person and that’s why he was always so well-liked in the dressing room,” Hamhuis added. “So coaching seems like such a natural fit for him.”

As Burrows leaves the NHL rink, his gritty playing style could be making a return to the Canucks’ lineup — not from Burrows himself, of course, but from Antoine Roussel, who signed a four-year, $12-million deal with Vancouver on July 1. Hamhuis, who suited up alongside the forward in Dallas for the past two seasons, offered up his scouting report on the Canucks’ new winger, who he says is “very similar” to Burrows.

“He’s going to be a guy that’s going to be loved by the fans,” Hamhuis said. “He was loved by the fans in Dallas, he was loved by the guys in the dressing room.”

Like Burrows, Roussel went undrafted before jumping around to a few different AHL clubs and ultimately landing in Dallas as a free agent in 2012.

“He’s a lot like [Burrows],” Hamhuis continued. “His passion is what’s gotten him here and you see it every second of every time he steps on the ice and even when he’s not on the ice, you see it. You see it in practice, he’s a driven guy, he’ll go through the wall for his team and he’s the type of guy that you want and I think the Canucks will be very happy to have him in their lineup.”

Unlike his former Stars teammate, Hamhuis is still on the open market after hitting unrestricted free agency. He said he’s “got a few irons in the fire” and is feeling confident after a strong season in Dallas — one he believes was one of the best of his career.

“Unfortunately, things didn’t work out with Dallas there,” said Hamhuis, who posted 21 points while averaging over 20 minutes per game in 2017-18. “We really enjoyed our time and wanted to be back but they’re kind of going in a little bit of a different direction. They kind of wanted to keep as much money around as they could to make runs at [John] Tavares and [Erik] Karlsson, but maybe that window’s not closed either.”

On 2018-07-06 at 12:32 PM, King Heffy said:

Was so much fun seeing him progress from the hard-working 4th liner into the third Sedin with a penchant for scoring clutch goals.  I'm incredibly grateful for the memories he gave us as fans.    One of my favourites still remains when he snapped a long losing streak that was rumored to be putting AV's job in jeopardy against Carolina.  He then celebrated by pretending to snap his stick against his knee.  Or the back-to-back hattricks.

Ring of Honour should be in his future, and he'll get to be here for the Sedin's jersey retirements.

One of my best hockey memories was the Carolina shorthanded goal. I don't think people realize the effect it had on the organization as a whole. The organization was debating cleaning house at the time with the coaching staff and some of the core players. He stepped up not unlike OT game 7 against Chicago.

Thanks for the memories Burr, heart of a champion.

On 2018-07-06 at 11:42 AM, King Heffy said:

Wear your Burrows jersey with pride.  I personally love seeing people with older jerseys of long-gone favourites.  Shared some good memories with fellow fans as a result.

Yes sir I always did, even when he caught some fire over his various antics. Loved his style of play, he was an agitator in every sense of the word. 

Thanks to Alex for his great years in Vancouver. Slaying the Dragon and scoring that goal in Game 2 OT of the finals I really thought we were gonna win it after that night.

One note, as Burr has retired after about 1 full season away from the team i think its amazing that Benning got the young Dahlen kid for him.

Love Burrows but getting a porspect like Dahlen for one that retired a year later is a steal

Kudos to gocanucksgo on youtube for the compilation

Man some real nostalgia watching this.

A young John Shorthouse who had tons of enthusiasm, the old Canucks goal horn (still the best one IMO), seeing Kevin Bieksa in number 25.  But most importantly the young man we all watched unfold before us, become the most despised agitator around the NHL, but one of the most beloved player to ever have worn the green, white and blue.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but its quite fitting that Burrows would retire the same year the Sedins did.

Arguably our greatest first line ever going out at the same time. Was hoping Burrows signed a one day us a retired a Canuck.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:01 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

A young John Shorthouse who had tons of enthusiasm, the old Canucks goal horn (still the best one IMO), seeing Kevin Bieksa in number 25.  But most importantly the young man we all watched unfold before us, become the most despised agitator around the NHL, but one of the most beloved player to ever have worn the green, white and blue.

Aw damn, this is great.

Just as I started watching it, my daughter called to say she'd just rung his order through at her store...sent me a pic.  

Love that his first goal was against the Leafs.    Also loved the emotion from Shorty (and Larschied). 

One thing that always stood out was his amazing hand eye.   Just brilliant.

And, if ever there was a guy I'd want to bet on for a short handed goal.....

That Auger stuff still makes me cringe.  He's likely a politician now somewhere.

God, I miss Burr.  But he's never really gone.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:01 PM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

f9dc0c86cf21e0c5736d141da262076b.jpg

One day my hope is to have this as a statue at the front gates...instead of Roger waiving his towel...in surrender...ugh. One can hope!! I mean C'mon, Dragon slayer at the front gates...just too cool to pass up!

50 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

One day my hope is to have this as a statue at the front gates...instead of Roger waiving his towel...in surrender...ugh. One can hope!! I mean C'mon, Dragon slayer at the front gates...just too cool to pass up!

I would prefer to wait until we win a Cup then erect a new statue of the captain of that team hoisting it. Until then, Roger can stay.

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Mock surrender.

I'd just like something more to do with winning than losing. Waiving the white towel to the officials is the only thing we can comemmorate with a statue? If we look at symoblism, what does that mean? I'd rather something that symbolizes winning. To me Roger symbolizes the exaxt opposite. It is still an important part of our Canucks history, but is that what we want at the front gates of the arena? We have a lot of great achievements we can pick from. 

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

I would prefer to wait until we win a Cup then erect a new statue of the captain of that team hoisting it. Until then, Roger can stay.

Well, I can't really argue with that. But i'd still rather see something other than Roger at the gates. As mentioned above in my other post, we have other great achievements to immortalize. In my own opinion. Something that symbolizes winning rather than mock surrender in the face of officials. It's always bugged me, but I could be alone in that thought.

On 2018-07-12 at 11:01 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Darn onions.  Has there ever been or will there ever be a more dangerous penalty killer than #14.  

Archived