The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

https://globalnews.ca/news/4317170/humboldt-broncos-crash-arrest/

Charges laid in fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash

WATCH ABOVE: Saskatchewan RCMP say charges have been laid in a fatal bus crash that involved the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team.

Charges have been laid in the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others.

RCMP said an arrest was made Friday morning in relation to their investigation into the fatal collision.

READ MORE: Trucking business opens at same Calgary address as company involved in Humboldt crash

Police have released no other details at this time, including the nature of the charges.

A press conference is being held at 1 p.m. CT at which time RCMP will provide further information.

WATCH: First responders of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash were honoured during the annual Calgary Stampede Parade.

2018-07-06T16-59-17.067Z--1280x720.jpg?w

READ MORE: RCMP preparing for Crown consultation at end of Broncos bus crash investigation

During an update last month, RCMP said they would be consulting with the Crown on possible charges once the investigation was complete.

The team was heading to Nipawin for a playoff game on April 6 when their bus and a semi collided in eastern Saskatchewan.

I imagine the families of the victims will find this both comforting, in possibly seeing justice in the loss of their family members, but equally heart wrenching if this was, in fact, preventable and not strictly related to weather and road conditions.

Still so fresh and raw. 

While it doesn't provide details, it seems that a driver may have contributed to the crash.   A good reminder to keep it safe out there, as a split second can impact so many lives.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not sure if any charges can punish the driver as much as the guilt they have to live with on a daily basis.

True enough.  But he/she has a life to ponder with....those kids and innocent victims do not so, if this was due to reckless driving or inattentiveness, it's the families that need the support first and foremost.....   I can't imagine how painfully crushing this is.  I don't think I could do it....

I wonder if the truck driver was on his cell phone. I’ve received plenty of videos on WhatsApp of truckers recording dumb videos of themselves whilst driving and unfortunately I don’t think they realize they’re driving a weapon. 

29 year old semi driver is charged with 16 counts of dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death and 13 causing bodily injured.  Remanded in custody...first court appearance set for next week.  Jaskirat Singh Sidhu of Calgary.

Obviously releasing limited information at the moment due to ongoing case.  Investigation included:

speed of vehicles involved

point of impact

positioning of vehicles

impairment

road and weather conditions

witness evidence

expertise in traffic collision investigation

Families were notified this morning.  My thoughts are with them at this time...how incredibly gut wrenching for them.

Sadly exactly as I expected.  Ugh.

i hope the families continue to get through this but at the same time I hope Mr. Sidhu is able to handle the next part of his life.  No too many people can say they are perfect drivers or are never distracted be it by their own doing or otherwise.  However this man was driving professionally and should be held accountable to the max end of the law.

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

i hope the families continue to get through this but at the same time I hope Mr. Sidhu is able to handle the next part of his life.  No too many people can say they are perfect drivers or are never distracted be it by their own doing or otherwise.  However this man was driving professionally and should be held accountable to the max end of the law.

So true.  Let this serve as a reminder to ALL that in a split second life can change.  Driving a motor vehicle is a HUGE responsibility, not to be taken lightly.  So so so sad that this was a preventable tragedy.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

It's hard to say how much to throw the book at him without at least knowing what he did.  We might be able to use him for education to prevent distracted driving in the future

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's hard to say how much to throw the book at him without at least knowing what he did.  We might be able to use him for education to prevent distracted driving in the future

The law regarding distracted driving is not new material.  It is years old and the penalties for regular drivers have steadily become more costly.

whne a commercial driver is guilty of irrresponsible/distracted driving they should face the most severe consequences.  That is the only real way to deter other commercial drivers.

you can have people sit through all the seminars in the world.  Break the law?  Kill someone?  Got to jail.  That’s the education imo.

15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

All 300 something years?

I have to say that many truck drivers need to think, hard, about this.  We have so many dumptrucks on the road with all the development taking place and every day it seems I have to honk as they cross the center line oncoming at me.  Are on the phone and/or speeding.  It's time to really clamp down on those operating rigs that they treat like mopeds. SO much carnage when things do go wrong....   I worked with semi truckers who also needed "reminding" on a constant basis about how not to forget safety measures as they grew comfortable driving these monsters.  Little room for error, as it takes longer to slow down, etc.

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The law regarding distracted driving is not new material.  It is years old and the penalties for regular drivers have steadily become more costly.

whne a commercial driver is guilty of irrresponsible/distracted driving they should face the most severe consequences.  That is the only real way to deter other commercial drivers.

you can have people sit through all the seminars in the world.  Break the law?  Kill someone?  Got to jail.  That’s the education imo.

Except we don't know for a fact that's what he was doing.  I'm not saying he should get off scot-free or avoid jail time altogether, but the likelihood of him re-offending is next to zero.  If there's any hope of taking anything positive at all away from this tragedy, I'd prefer we at least consider it.

Archived