The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think jail time would do any good at all. In the case of some of the victims' families, it might make them feel better, (I say "might", because I have no idea how they feel towards the driver) but the driver isn't an evil person. He's an undertrained and probably overworked guy who made a terrible decision that ended the lives of several people.

There has to be punishment meted out, because that the society we live in, but the true punishment will be living the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did...

I think the punishment should be a lifetime ban on driving. 

He drove without taking the proper care and attention, especially in a big rig at highway speeds.  Didn't even slow down, yet there were signs and flashing lights indicating a stop sign.  So lose that privilege and find a different job.  As a professional driver, he obviously failed, miserably in that.

I also hope the place he worked for is shut down...not their first violation. 

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He drove without taking the proper care and attention, especially in a big rig at highway speeds.  Didn't even slow down, yet there were signs and flashing lights indicating a stop sign.  So lose that privilege and find a different job.  As a professional driver, he obviously failed, miserably in that.

Plus a ton of community service hours.

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't know if I'd go quite that far. Certainly a blanket ban for X amount of years, but other than that, I'd advocate a lifetime restriction of his class 1.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know if I'd go quite that far. Certainly a blanket ban for X amount of years, but other than that, I'd advocate a lifetime restriction of his class 1.

How "far" is too far when you've devastated 16 families?

I think of them as well as him.  He HAS his life and if his freedom too, I don't feel it's too harsh.  Considering the consequences of his actions.  In the situation where he should have been the most careful he could be, he blew through a well marked stop sign.  And wiped out a bunch of kids who had their entire future in front of them.

He's lucky to have his life at all.  So I just feel something life changing for him isn't "too much".

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

He's lucky to have his life at all.  So I just feel something life changing for him isn't "too much".

Agreed. 

I can only imagine how I’d feel as a parent if my daughter’s life was stripped away. But also feel for this man as well, as he will be tormented by this for the remainder of his life. 

So yeah, if he doesn’t get jail time, then a lifetime ban on driving, while certainly inconvenient considering the time we live in, is not a death sentence.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The company owner should serve jail time. And be banned from working in Transport. 

That might get carriers to wake up and instead of looking at just the dollars, that getting goods transported safely protects not only your own interests, but everyone else's. 

thats the only thing that will really change the industry. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Maybe but life is what you make of it. If you sit there wallowing in self-pity then you are as good as a dead man walking. While I can't put myself in this man's shoes I think if I were him I would try to spend the rest of my life trying to make up for this, impossible as that maybe.

I thought the same.

really the only way I could see a chance at a life in the future

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think jail time would do any good at all. In the case of some of the victims' families, it might make them feel better, (I say "might", because I have no idea how they feel towards the driver) but the driver isn't an evil person. He's an undertrained and probably overworked guy who made a terrible decision that ended the lives of several people.

There has to be punishment meted out, because that the society we live in, but the true punishment will be living the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did...

Agree Rupert.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I mean it’s a bit of a slippery slope mentality in that he still made a decision that was illegal (blowing a stop).  And so to say no sentence or punishment is acceptable isn’t true in the eyes of the law.

the result was tragic.  A crime was committed.  

But yeah its it’s tough to want to see this guy rot in prison.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

I was thinking more in terms of volunteer work for the underprivileged. Your idea could work too but I don't think he should be too visible out there to minimize whatever trauma that may cause families of the victims. 

Maybe if some of the parents (or injured) and others affected by the driver's terrible choice could come with him to express their feelings, it might be cathartic for those affected by such a horrible tragedy, while serving to educate future (and current) drivers?  

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

How "far" is too far when you've devastated 16 families?

I think of them as well as him.  He HAS his life and if his freedom too, I don't feel it's too harsh.  Considering the consequences of his actions.  In the situation where he should have been the most careful he could be, he blew through a well marked stop sign.  And wiped out a bunch of kids who had their entire future in front of them.

I guess it comes down to whether you think in terms of punishment, or whether he's an actual danger to society.

If we truly want to punish him for his actions, then jail time is certainly warranted. Chances are the victims' families would think much the same, but as I said earlier, I can't speak to their desire to see Sidhu punished, or to just move on.

I think a lifetime ban does nothing but make it difficult for him to earn a living moving forward, so unless that's your goal, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think a lifetime ban does nothing but make it difficult for him to earn a living moving forward, so unless that's your goal, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Depends on where he chooses to live. If he chooses to live in a small town with no bus service, then yes. But that would be his choice.

However, if living in a city, one can live (although very inconvenient) without a vehicle. But again, he’s still alive. I’m guessing most reasonable people in his unfortunate circumstance would be thinking far more about the ramifications of his actions (ie: the families and the lost lives), than not being able to drive again.

Plus, we’re only a few years away from hover boards.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess it comes down to whether you think in terms of punishment, or whether he's an actual danger to society.

If we truly want to punish him for his actions, then jail time is certainly warranted. Chances are the victims' families would think much the same, but as I said earlier, I can't speak to their desire to see Sidhu punished, or to just move on.

I guess I feel life should be somewhat difficult for him....again, thinking of how the lives of those families will be from this point onward.

He is a danger when he's driving...if he couldn't be counted on in a big rig, where one should be fully focused and engaged on the road, why should we trust him in a vehicle of any sort?  I don't want someone like this on the road...with a blatant disregard of signage and flashing lights.

Let's face it...he really has to pay some sort of consequences for his actions in order to deter him from feeling like he got away with this.  Many people earn a living who don't drive...so I'm not overly concerned about inconveniencing him.  Let's put this in perspective...in some places, he may receive the death penalty for this crime.  So sure, I'm perfectly ok with him having enough freedom to carry on in life, but not handing him the keys to another vehicle.  He blew that one.

I consider both (punishment and how much of a danger he is).  Seems to me a driving ban would be suitable in this situation.  Look, if you have an "accident", fine.  But if you blow through a stop sign at high speed in a big rig that takes time to slow down/stop in and kill several people, that's something quite different.  That's (very) dangerous driving.  The bus full of kids didn't stand a chance....even WITH the driver braking, hard and trying to avoid this guy.  He left them no "outs" in this.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Any time you are driving a vehicle, any vehicle, you should be fully focused on the road.

Exactly.  Especially when driving a vehicle that takes extra time to slow down/stop in.  When driving at high speeds on a highway as you enter an intersection.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Any time you are driving a vehicle, any vehicle, you should be fully focused on the road.

Do we know what the transgression was exactly?  Did the truck driver purposely ignore the stop sign, because he didn't want to gear down?  had he been doing this along the whole trip?  

@debluvscanucks

The semi-trailer truck involved in the Humboldt Broncos team bus crash was travelling at nearly 100 km/h at the moment of impact, and the semi's driver isn't thought to have been distracted, according to a document obtained by CBC News. 

The document has not yet been presented to the court.

"No tire skid marks due to braking were left by the semi-tractor unit," reads a draft statement of facts agreed to by the Crown and defence in the court case of semi driver Jaskirat Singh Sidhu. 

It says Sidhu simply "failed to recognize that his vehicle was approaching an intersection and did not heed the stop sign."

It states Sidhu drove into the intersection at a speed of 86 to 96 km/h. This was despite a 1.2-metre-wide (four feet) stop sign with a red flashing light on top, as well as clearly marked highway signs warning of an intersection from approximately 400 metres, 300 metres, 200 metres and 100 metres away.

As Sidhu approached the intersection on Highway 335, the driver of the Broncos bus travelling down the larger Highway 35 recognized the danger, according to the statement.

The bus driver applied the brakes and skidded for 24 metres before the collision, it stated.

"The driver of the bus did not contribute to the collision," it stated. "The actions of Mr. Sidhu while operating the semi-tractor unit caused the collision."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/jaskirat-sidhu-pleads-guilty-humboldt-broncos-1.4969739

Hard to imagine he missed everything.  So that tells me he wasn't paying attention, as he should have been.  No "accident" when you're in control of a rig like this at highway speeds and don't pay attention to signs and lights.  No excuses are acceptable.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/jaskirat-sidhu-pleads-guilty-humboldt-broncos-1.4969739

Hard to imagine he missed everything.  So that tells me he wasn't paying attention, as he should have been.  No "accident" when you're in control of a rig like this at highway speeds and don't pay attention to signs and lights.  No excuses are acceptable.

IMO, the truck driver was paying complete attention, but chose to ignore the stopping process.  He didn't want to gear down, come to a stop, and then gear back up again.  Which is both uncomfortable and time consuming.  I don't know if these intersections have recording devices, but I think they all should.  I would bet this truck driver isn't the only one who ignores stopping.  

Hopefully he's completely truthful.  

I expect a few years ,with the multiple charges being lumped into a concecutive sentence. the upside to this tragedy is the attention that the bottom of the barrel of the transport industry received ,the very worst of the worst ,that have NO business  operating heavy equipment/trucks, there's graduated licencing for class 5 (cars) why shouldn't there be graduated classification with trucks? 4 ton single axel, next tandem axel , LEARN TO DRIVE  and/or slow the vehicle down ...safely.    before being thrown into 170,000 lb gross weight vehicle. which also mean's you may have to work for another company before working for the company that offered you the initial job, too bad  learn first. this wasn't a 'hire you' for your experience or what you know ,but nepotism at its very worst!  

Archived