The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ed Willes: Canucks' Linden revamp left in the dust by Leafs' Shana-plan

CanadianRugby

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

A few years later - after a couple consecutive first round exits and exposed bluelines....the Leafs are still building from the front backwards.

So far in July:

Tavares (C)

Jooris (RW)
Cracknell (RW)

Ennis (C)

The rebuilt D:

Holl

Marincin

Subban

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I remember the last time the rebuild was over....... and all the Leafs needed was a Brian Boyle rental at the deadline lol.

This year they`re a Jay Beagle away from contending. :lol:

Curious times in Toronto...(As Travis Yost would put it)

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So far in July:

Tavares (C)

Jooris (RW)
Cracknell (RW)

Ennis (C)

The rebuilt D:

Holl

Marincin

Subban

Counter the additions with the departure of JVR, Bozak, Komarov, and Martin.

Not much addition to the point totals, and a little bit easier to play against IMO.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Counter the additions with the departure of JVR, Bozak, Komarov, and Martin.

Not much addition to the point totals, and a little bit easier to play against IMO.

Seriously, I heard one of the radio muppets say, "Toronto was better even before adding Tavares."

Really.

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

The players pivotal in Torontos turnaround were not drafted before Shanahan

I disagree

They drafted Luke Schenn #5 in 2008 which they turned into Van Reimsdyk prior to Shanahan

They drafted Kadri #7, Reilly #5  

Not to mention the price(2 first round picks and a second rounder) previous regime paid for Kessel who Shanny traded for the likes of Kapanen etc.

In other words they inherited some nice pieces because they sucked long enough to accumulate these high first rounders.

They won the draft lottery to get Mathews.   So in the end I suppose the brilliant drafting came down to Nylander and Marner (in my mind no brainer picks at the position they fell to the leafs...kinda like how Hughes was a no brainer for us or Zadina was for Detroit)

The interesting thing is that since 2014, outside of Dermott who got a good run at the end of the season, their post first round picks have played a combined 12 games in the NHL.  Its not like their drafting has been magical when the obvious choice isnt in front of their noses.

I think the biggest impact here is the lotto win, a head start in accumulating assets, and the fact that the lost son Tavares wanted to return home out of his own volition.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So far in July:

Tavares (C)

Jooris (RW)
Cracknell (RW)

Ennis (C)

The rebuilt D:

Holl

Marincin

Subban

They lost their most physical players in Komarov and Polak.

They lost their leading goal scorer in JVR.

They lost one of their better two way players over the past half decade - and solid faceoff guy in Bozak.

And they did literally nothing to improve a blueline that was exposed like an achilles - again - in the playoffs.

But they're Cup favorites...because....they bought a 77 million dollar lottery ticket.

Sorry, but not a believer quite yet.

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Ed 'Lacks Any' Willes.....better than Botchford in the way that vomit is better than feces. 

I love that these guys position themselves on 'the greener side' of the fence.

Who wants them 'on side'? 

Sure as hell not me.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I love that these guys position themselves on 'the greener side' of the fence.

Who wants them 'on side'? 

Sure as hell not me.

I hear ya..

There is always something to complain about with almost EVERYTHING in life...but unless we're talking about some rather dark stuff there is almost always a bright side. Somehow these greener side guys never see it...   

I read it for laughs at this point :P

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They`re a bunch of aging washouts that are on a sinking ship (print media), and are trying desperately to sell their stories by spinning negative dribble.

But who on earth is buying?    Isn't there a larger market for a story about a long-shot kid who is working his way through the ranks or on how Beagle wants to come and be a leader or how Anders figured out something at WHC he hopes to bring to the NHL next year.....there are oodles and oodles of interesting things that could be written about.   

Seasons that each team made the playoffs since 05-06

Toronto Maple Leafs: 3

Vancouver Canucks: 7

Which is saying something cause 4 of the last 5 seasons we've missed the playoffs, prior to that we were pretty much a perennial playoff team. And we had to start our rebuild from scratch since Gillis did Benning a huge solid and left us nothing but Bo to build with. Left an aging, over the hill core that no one wanted that also had NTCs out the butt, and no goalies. But yeah, what a fair comparison. Shanahan at least had something to work with when he got his job. His team won a draft lottery. Linden/Benning had nothing in the cupboard, super old team, and our draft spots have dropped every season they've been here except the Virtanen draft(?) Which is something they can't control. We were a bottom 3 team in two of those seasons too. Still dropped a bunch of spots.

All in all this is the stupidest f-ing comparison to make since both teams were in completely different spots when each guy inherited their respective team. The only similarity is that they were hired around the same time. I dunno who this guy is, but I already strongly dislike him.

Editor:  Ed, when is the last time you wrote something anybody read?

Ed:  [desperate for attention!]

Has a genius idea.  Why not swim upstream and fluff the post-Tavares signing Leafs!! 

No one is doing that!   Critical-thinking!

Sells the attention he was seeking...to rugby.

#ioriginality

#dare to be different.

I still don't see any future for the Leafs in goal and on D, well, it's thin at best.  Johnny T has made an emotional decision.  I hope his Leafs PJ's and sheets help him sleep at night.  When it comes down to it $11M would help my sleep.  Whatever.

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I still don't see any future for the Leafs in goal and on D, well, it's thin at best.  Johnny T has made an emotional decision.  I hope his Leafs PJ's and sheets help him sleep at night.  When it comes down to it $11M would help my sleep.  Whatever.

They have a pretty strong goalie prospect pool actually.   Right up with the Canucks in that regard.

Must be great to have the NHL gift wrap a number 1 pick when there's a generational talent available. There's no genius involved in that. Remove Auston Matthews from that team and Marner's and Nylander's numbers drop and Marleau and Tavares do not come to Toronto. The Canucks, on the other hand, have to earn what they're given them as, but hey, even without winning the lottery, still managed to draft the NHL All Star MVP and the SHL Regular Season and Playoff MVP after a record-setting season.

3 hours ago, Darius said:

I suspect Toronto's regime had a bit of a head start by inheriting accumulated assets from missing the playoffs for the vast majority of the 10 prior years.  They also had a lotto win where they drafted an elite franchise player (contrast that with losing draft position almost every year)  It would also be interesting to examine their roster from 2013 to see if they had the same number of challenging contracts the Canucks had to move too (No trades, Kesler handcuffing management with a 2 team trade list).

In the end I dont think they started with the same cupboard - so its hard  (and probably unfair) to compare.leafs.JPG.fc2945875a396bc40e73d177d55ea277.JPG

Nothing more needs to be said.  6 years of top 10 picks, 8 if you include the 2nd and 9th being Seguin and Hamilton that went to Boston.  A 1st overall pick in Matthews to boot plus the league allowance of the infamous rebids island.  

Vancouver....didn't get any of that and started with nothing in the bank but Horvat.

I'd say since our actual rebuild started the season after we drafted Boeser, we're doing pretty damned good and anyone that fails to see the last decade worth of drafting between the Leafs/Canucks as essential to the argument is blind 

Archived