The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Dobber Prospect Rankings - Canucks Move into No. 4 Spot

Rob_Zepp

Nothing magical about the rankings but they has been consistent for years in having a formula and doesn't seem to have a bias (of the six that contributed this year, most seem to have hated and loved pretty much every team equally).   Not too long ago, their site's consensus was that Vancouver was about the bottom of the league.   Not anymore.   

The top consensus top 10 are interesting.   CC is no longer Canuck property so they blew that but he isn't part of the ranking per se (as it is based on the top 10).   Goldy not being there is interesting, for example.   Clearly the ranking was prior to the draft.   With Hughes and Woo one would have to think they would have not fallen in ranking....what do you think?

Canucks Move into Top 5 in Prospect Ranking

VAN.jpg?resize=84%2C67&ssl=14. Vancouver Canucks, A-

Rank (4.6)

The Canucks ranked high despite not having a contribution from Cam Robinson. I ranked them the highest at second overall while the lowest rank was 11th. The Canucks have corner stone prospects at each position with Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi and Demko leading the way. With another top 10 pick coming up, look for the Canucks to add potentially a center or a defenseman. If the Canucks can lure back big Nikita Tryamkin it would be a huge boost as well. With the Sedin twins stepping aside, it opens up two top-six roster positions and a hefty chunk of cap space. Look for the Canucks to add an impact player in the off season. Peter Harling

There is hope. A roster can have a very different look to it adding even three top players. Vancouver still has lots of work to do, but replacements for the Sedin brothers aren’t far away. Fans know this though… they’ve been waiting for a few years. This could be a big draft year for Vancouver too. Joel Henderson

Top 10 Prospects

1. Elias Pettersson
  2. Thatcher Demko
  3. Olli Juolevi
  4. Jonathan Dahlen
  5. Adam Gaudette
  6. Kole Lind
  7. Michael DiPietro
  8. Jonah Gadjovich
  9. Guillaume Brisebois
  10. Petrus Palmu

U21 Roster Players: Brock Boeser, Jake Virtanen

Other notable prospects: Zack MacEwan, Nikolai Goldobin, Cole Cassels, Nikita Tryamkin, Jalen Chatfield, Tyler Motte.

2018 Draft picks by round: 1 Quinn Hughes (7). Round 2 Jett Woo (37). Round 3 Tyler Madden (68) Round 4 None. Round 5 Toni Ultunen (130). Round 6 Artyom Manukyan (186). Round 7 Matthew Thiessen. – Total, 6

Nice to have some recognition.

I guess every list is debatable, but I definitely don`t agree with some of those rankings. I personally think we have more depth than a couple of those top 3, and higher end talent.

Carter Hart projects to be a good goalie, but right now it`s still just based on hype. I would still say having Demko and DiPietro puts us a cut above.

But we`re probably ranked lower by not having a high end D prospect, which we now have. The fact that our top prospects played in Europe and the NCAA also hurts our `hype factor`.

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Top 10 Prospects

1. Elias Pettersson
  2. Thatcher Demko
  3. Olli Juolevi
  4. Jonathan Dahlen
  5. Adam Gaudette
  6. Kole Lind
  7. Michael DiPietro
  8. Jonah Gadjovich
  9. Guillaume Brisebois
  10. Petrus Palmu

Damn you add Hughes and Woo and maybe an honourable mention to Rathbone to that and that has to put us top 3. 

D+ for the Oilers? Doesn't bode well for the upcoming cap hell over there. 

This should be the standard response to people whining about Beagles cap hit. 

The Canucks have a balanced prospect pool which in my eyes puts them ahead of the Leafs, Oilers, Flames to name a few off the top of my head.  

High end prospects at forward:  centre: Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette,  wing:  Boeser, Lind, Dahlen,  defense:  Hughes, Juolevi and most important, goal:  Demko and DiPietro

You wont see the Canucks looking like world beaters one season and crashing the next like the Soilers :bigblush:

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Damn you add Hughes and Woo and maybe an honourable mention to Rathbone to that and that has to put us top 3. 

D+ for the Oilers? Doesn't bode well for the upcoming cap hell over there. 

This should be the standard response to people whining about Beagles cap hit. 

I remain at a loss at people who look for any tangible evidence of the change in the Canucks since the new management team has come into place.  This is a high end prospect pool.   Isn't that what a management team's main job is when a team is rebuilding?   

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I remain at a loss at people who look for any tangible evidence of the change in the Canucks since the new management team has come into place.  This is a high end prospect pool.   Isn't that what a management team's main job is when a team is rebuilding?   

Honestly Rob, you can be sarcastic

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

a dauber is the thing you use to mark your bingo card with clever boy.  I see a blue one and a red on the table

Yup, two of those have to be one of the guys who put it together namely Peter Harling, Hayden Soboleski, Jokke Nevalainen, Joel Henderson, and Brayden Olafson.    The one in blue looks a lot like Jokke from memory.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nothing magical about the rankings but they has been consistent for years in having a formula and doesn't seem to have a bias (of the six that contributed this year, most seem to have hated and loved pretty much every team equally).   Not too long ago, their site's consensus was that Vancouver was about the bottom of the league.   Not anymore.   

The top consensus top 10 are interesting.   CC is no longer Canuck property so they blew that but he isn't part of the ranking per se (as it is based on the top 10).   Goldy not being there is interesting, for example.   Clearly the ranking was prior to the draft.   With Hughes and Woo one would have to think they would have not fallen in ranking....what do you think?

Canucks Move into Top 5 in Prospect Ranking

VAN.jpg?resize=84%2C67&ssl=14. Vancouver Canucks, A-

Rank (4.6)

The Canucks ranked high despite not having a contribution from Cam Robinson. I ranked them the highest at second overall while the lowest rank was 11th. The Canucks have corner stone prospects at each position with Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi and Demko leading the way. With another top 10 pick coming up, look for the Canucks to add potentially a center or a defenseman. If the Canucks can lure back big Nikita Tryamkin it would be a huge boost as well. With the Sedin twins stepping aside, it opens up two top-six roster positions and a hefty chunk of cap space. Look for the Canucks to add an impact player in the off season. Peter Harling

There is hope. A roster can have a very different look to it adding even three top players. Vancouver still has lots of work to do, but replacements for the Sedin brothers aren’t far away. Fans know this though… they’ve been waiting for a few years. This could be a big draft year for Vancouver too. Joel Henderson

Top 10 Prospects

1. Elias Pettersson
  2. Thatcher Demko
  3. Olli Juolevi
  4. Jonathan Dahlen
  5. Adam Gaudette
  6. Kole Lind
  7. Michael DiPietro
  8. Jonah Gadjovich
  9. Guillaume Brisebois
  10. Petrus Palmu

U21 Roster Players: Brock Boeser, Jake Virtanen

Other notable prospects: Zack MacEwan, Nikolai Goldobin, Cole Cassels, Nikita Tryamkin, Jalen Chatfield, Tyler Motte.

2018 Draft picks by round: 1 Quinn Hughes (7). Round 2 Jett Woo (37). Round 3 Tyler Madden (68) Round 4 None. Round 5 Toni Ultunen (130). Round 6 Artyom Manukyan (186). Round 7 Matthew Thiessen. – Total, 6

No mention of Jasek, who comes in and scores 7 points in 6 games in the AHL, nor of Tryamkin - who is still Canuck property and just 23.

So just getting off track here a little...………….

Pittsburgh was ranked dead last

I wonder how many prospects they could get for Crosby?

How many for Malkin?

How many for Kessel

LeTang?

Trade the $32,250,000 in cap

Sign a few UFA's and wah lah…….rebuild and prospects galore!

I would give Pittsburgh our next 4 ……..1st's for Crosby ^_^

PS..everyone knows how I feel about our prospects...……….I am not surprized! 

We have a stronger group then Philly and Arizona bar none. 

even their own fan base (Philly and Arizona) doesn't think their prospects pool are that strong.

Calgary and Toronto have no business being in the top 10, and yes even Leafs fans admit this.

none the less a decent write up on the Canucks.  With have 3 MVP's in our pool, Dhalen and Pettersson got MVP honours for their leauges, the same with Gaudette in college, not to mention a goalie that was voted best goalie in his league,

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

No mention of Jasek, who comes in and scores 7 points in 6 games in the AHL, nor of Tryamkin - who is still Canuck property and just 23.

Tryamkin they actually mention in the text and under "other notable prospects" ;)

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks have a balanced prospect pool which in my eyes puts them ahead of the Leafs, Oilers, Flames to name a few off the top of my head.  

High end prospects at forward:  centre: Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette,  wing:  Boeser, Lind, Dahlen,  defense:  Hughes, Juolevi and most important, goal:  Demko and DiPietro

You wont see the Canucks looking like world beaters one season and crashing the next like the Soilers :bigblush:

Horvat and Boeser aren't prospects.

We clearly would have risen in the rankings if they included the recent draft class.

All we were missing is a dynamic puckmoving defenseman prospect and now we have that. 
I think we have a top 3 prospect pool for sure. We've never been even close to that before. 

Archived