The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2018-19 WHL Regular Season

Pears

Portland is hoping to be strong with Cody Glass returning, but we are likely losing Henri Jokiharju to the AHL as he was on loan from his Finnish team and therefor bypassed the CHL-NHL agreement. Skyler MacKenzie was expected to return for his overage year as Winnipeg has a lot of forward prospects in the AHL already but he just signed a pro contract so he is likely gone too. Youngsters Seth Jarvis and Cross Hanas are guys to keep an eye on for the future and may be thrust into bigger roles than expected with our lack of secondary scoring. We took 2 forwards in the import draft but no news either way if they are signing or staying home. Portland traded for an overage defender in Jared Freadrich from the Royals and will join Canes pick Brendan De Jong in that role, with Mackenzie either taking the last OA spot or Portland picks up a dropped 20 year old from a different team, Conor MacEachren isn't good enough to take up that slot.

On 2018-07-10 at 1:49 PM, canucklax said:

Portland is hoping to be strong with Cody Glass returning, but we are likely losing Henri Jokiharju to the AHL as he was on loan from his Finnish team and therefor bypassed the CHL-NHL agreement. Skyler MacKenzie was expected to return for his overage year as Winnipeg has a lot of forward prospects in the AHL already but he just signed a pro contract so he is likely gone too. Youngsters Seth Jarvis and Cross Hanas are guys to keep an eye on for the future and may be thrust into bigger roles than expected with our lack of secondary scoring. We took 2 forwards in the import draft but no news either way if they are signing or staying home. Portland traded for an overage defender in Jared Freadrich from the Royals and will join Canes pick Brendan De Jong in that role, with Mackenzie either taking the last OA spot or Portland picks up a dropped 20 year old from a different team, Conor MacEachren isn't good enough to take up that slot.

I liked what I saw from Colina and Bowie after they were traded here. What kind of potential do you think they have?

3 hours ago, Pears said:

I liked what I saw from Colina and Bowie after they were traded here. What kind of potential do you think they have?

Colina had potential coming in to be the next small skilled guy but just never managed to grab hold of the opportunity. The team was ready for him to step up into a 2nd line role and provide needed secondary scoring but just didn't produce. I think he could be a guy that does well as he matures and plays against younger guys, like a breakout overage year to possibly earn a pro contract but I honestly expect him to be playing CIS after the dub. Hopefully he can do better in an expanded role. Bowie I didn't see enough of in person to give a report

2 hours ago, canucklax said:

Colina had potential coming in to be the next small skilled guy but just never managed to grab hold of the opportunity. The team was ready for him to step up into a 2nd line role and provide needed secondary scoring but just didn't produce. I think he could be a guy that does well as he matures and plays against younger guys, like a breakout overage year to possibly earn a pro contract but I honestly expect him to be playing CIS after the dub. Hopefully he can do better in an expanded role. Bowie I didn't see enough of in person to give a report

I really think the Cougars are going to have a bounce back year. Gauthier was a stud in first year and was probably the reason we weren’t right with Edmonton for last overall. We have Swift Current’s 1st round pick next year and with all of their current players leaving I’m really interested to see what kind of a year they have. Also hoping the our new GM makes some kind of a splash before the season starts. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 9:20 PM, goalie13 said:

I've been watching the WHL since Grant Fuhr was in net for the Victoria Cougars and this is the first time I have ever heard about WHL waivers.

It's different than NHL waivers. In the dub, this is more of an announcement that a player is about to be released and anyone interested can claim him. This most often happens with 20 year olds since a team can only carry 3.

• 1 month later...

Kelowna Rockets fan here. Aussie ski bum that went to the interior of BC to ride some of your light dry pow and discovered the greatest game on the planet.

Went to see a lot of games 96- 2006. Followed it back here in Aus until last few years due to events in personal life. 

Hope Merkley, Dube and Lind provide some scoring.

Do not know much about the the defence or goalies.

I know every dog has its day and Kelowna has had theirs recently,so I am just hoping they make the play-offs 

Joachim Blichfeld surprisingly sent back to junior instead of the AHL. Really changes the mood here as there is less stress on the rookies to perform. Dean Schwenninger likely gets released as an import to focus on winning now, and we don't waste an overage spot on MacEachern.

Hughes-Glass-Blichfeld top line could be similar to Swift Currents' dominant top line last season

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived