The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) Bold Predictions...or Wishful Thinking for 2018-2019

bigbadcanucks

9 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

While my wife is out for her monthly girl's night out and I wait for the call to come and pick her and her drunken BFFs up from wherever they are (yah...this is what my life has become), I'm left contemplating what might be for this coming season for the Canucks.

Just curious what everyone's bold predictions (or wishful thinking) for the upcoming season are? 

Here are some of mine (caveat: lines are heavily blurred between what's real and what's fantasy):

1) Pettersson does what Matt Barzal did this past season and breaks 80 point barrier, en route to Calder Cup season (as a centerman);

2) Boeser scores 40 goals and quells concerns about his back and the myth of the sophomore jinx;

3) Gaunce makes the team out of camp and has a break out season and becomes Canucks permanent third line centerman, forcing Sutter to RW, where he re-discovers his 21-goal self of 2009-2010 and 2014-2015 (that's a two-for-one);

4) Hughes signs ELC and becomes the re-incarnation of Phil Housley/Brian Leetch;

5) Demko makes the team out of camp and becomes the undisputed number 1 goalie by Christmas;

6) Roussel -- Beagle -- Schaller form the best (and most expensive) fourth line in the NHL;

7) Pettersson, Dahlen and Eriksson form the Swedish Connection, resulting in Eriksson have a renaissance season;

8) Virtanen finally puts everything together and turns into the second coming of Cam Neely, Rick Vaive, Curt Fraser, Dirk Graham and all the other power forwards that the Canucks gave up too early on;

9) Juolevi makes the club, and plays with such poise that he makes Del Zotto and Hutton redundant, and removes any sort of urgency to re-sign Edler, forcing him to waive his no-trade clause at TDL to go play in Tampa Bay with his buddies Hedman and Karlsson;

10) Del Zotto, Gagner, Granlund and Hutton are moved out for a mittful of draft picks giving the Canucks a gazillion picks in the fourth and fifth rounds next draft in  Vancouver where we know Benning, Weisbrod, Brackett rule the universe;

11) Canucks make the playoffs, lose in the first round in seven games, and gain invaluable experience.  Everyone touts "losing this one in seven hurts, but it didn't kill us, so it will make us stronger".

Would love to hear what everyone's predictions/hopes for the coming season are...

Really like your post and positive points..

I feel Ottawa will be 31st last place in 2018-19

Vancouver will be 23-25 depending on injuries with 78 point..

Exciting seasons for Demko 30 games, Pettersson, Jake, Juolevi 50 games, Leipsic, Pouliot, Hughes playes 50 games.

Vancouver will be hard to play against  and exciting to watch..Prospects in Utica will also have good seasons,  Dahlen 30 NHL games, Lind 3 NHl games, Jasek, Gadjovich 3 NHL games,  Palmu, MacEwen, Briesbois 10 NHl games, Chatfield, Sautner 40 NHL games..

22 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

My only wish.  Bottom 5 team. Win the lottery for Jack Hughes.

There are going to be some real good players in the 2019 draft...Real good D man from Vancouver Giants could go in top 5 forget his name? #44

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

There are going to be some real good players in the 2019 draft...Real good D man from Vancouver Giants could go in top 5 forget his name? #44

Bowen Byram?  Yeah.. cool.  But Hughes is a generational talent.  Getting him would be .... oh man... imagine a roster with the Hughes bros, Bo and Boeser, Pettersson, Juolevi...?!

52 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think this year we may take  step forward if Elias can come in and pout up 60 points. if he does that it means that the rest of the team only need to improve by 40 points to replace Daniel and Henrik which i think is quite a reasonable challenge.

If Brock stays healthy all year he should hit 40.

The power play should be good with EP Horvat Boeser but who will man the point. We still do not have much happening with the D. Edler has played on almost every 1st unit PP and had 1 goal in a calendar year.This needs to improve. Stecher, Hutton, Pouliot are not viable options here.

The PK will improve simply with a bit of speed and experience from the third fourth line players.

Goaltending will be key. Can Markstrom and Nilsson carry the load or will we finally see Demko or Dipietro on the big club.

Lastly will the team finally be able to play the game at the speed Green has been itching to have the team play at. No More excuses. Daniel and Henrik are not there to slow the game down anymore. If they can play with the speed of a Vegas......who knows what could happen

I am thinking they are in the hunt for a wildcard come the last month but cant get over the hump yet

Vanek also put  up 41 points  and even if we are able to reach last years totals again it wasn't that impressive

Pettersson wins the Calder

Horvat scores 60+ points

Boeser becomes what we all expected him to be: 30+ goal scorer

Hughes signs his ELC and makes the team

Markstrom-Demko have a 51-31 split

Benning makes a trade for a second line center

And yes. We make the playoffs, surprising everyone. 

Virt will increase his point total as will Bo and Boeser with Bear improving also due to more O zone starts with the Sedins gone. Add Pettersson along with a few more from Eriksson. Sutter should get a few more now with Beagles help. 

I am seeing a good chance of making the playoffs and maybe doing some damage. 

My hopes:

- Bottom 5 finish, win the lottery

- Trade Tanev for 1st and good prospect

- Trade Baertschi for late 1st

- Trade Sutter

- Gudbranson turns into a good top 4 defenceman 

- Tryamkin comes back and dominates

- Pettersson comes in and lives up to expectations

- At least one of Hughes, Juolevi, Demko, or others make the team and belong in the NHL

- Growth from, and no big injuries to Horvat & Boeser

My expectations:

- Bottom 5 finish

Well, that's optimistic for sure.

I don't expect or even hope for an 80pt campaign from Pettersson, but I do think he'll be a key reason the team has a second scoring line this year and won't be as challenged to score as some people believe.  I don't think it's unrealistic to think they could have a couple young players in the 50 pt range replacing the Sedins production.  I'm sure Pettersson will aim higher - and could rival Boeser's rookie season, but I wouldn't be disappointed if his break-in replaces Daniel's production.

I don't think anyone pushes Sutter to wing - he's an elite defensive center and faceoff guy - you don't convert guys like him into wingers.  I agree Gaunce should make the team - as Sutter's LW.  If Gaunce emerges as a 3C it'll be because Sutter is at 2C - and Gaunce outcompetes the other group of natural centers that the team has.  I could also see Beagle at 3C and Schaller at 4.  Lots of possibilities.

I think Juolevi makes the team - and is paired with Tanev.

I think I'd rather see them integrate Juolevi for a year than rush both he and Hughes onto the lineup...I'm not sure they have partners for both these guys as rookies.

I think Juolevi is the type of guy that revels in the opportunity to step up and will have a surprisingly solid season beside Tanev - will quell the doubts about him.

I think the Canucks will have one of, if not the best bottom six matchup/shutdown forward groups in the NHL - which should help both the blueline and a young top 6. 

I think one of the most interesting competitions will be between Leipsic and Baertschi for a top 6 LW position.  I think Pettersson will take the other.  I'm betting on Leipsic to win that competition.  My guess of moves would be Gagner most likely, Baertschi next likely.  Goldobin is a real wild card this year - really hard to predict what becomes of him in the lineup.

I prefer Granlund over Gagner and probably Baertschi as well - hope they find an opportune space for him - and don't really want to see him moved.  He's the most versatile of the three imo, and with the right linemates could/should have as much upside as they do.

I think Motte will show that he's good enough to command a spot in the bottom six - but being waiver ineligiblbe he may be assigned to be ready as first callup in even of an injury to a matchup forward.

Edler and Gudbranson are a rock of a pairing.  Tanev and Juolevi thrive.  Reasonable blueline depth.  Hutton will have to really leap forward to outcompete Pouliot imo. The blueline may not drive as much offense as we hope, but that will come with the maturation of Juolevi, Hughes, Pouliot and Stecher.   Stecher could have a very good season if the top 4 stays healthy and he's not forced to step up in the lineup as frequently.  Really like his chances of having a solid third season with a healthier blueline and strong bottom 6 forwards.

Virtanen - I believe will wind up the other top 6 RW (Boeser obviously one).   Virtanen's game is rounding out very weill - he'll be one of the biggest risers this year imo - and could make a very good winger fit for either line - whether it's size, speed, forechecking, hard areas, and defensive support on the opposing wing to Pettersson, or as a speed, counterpunch, transition threat alongside Horvat if the team elects to put Pettersson and Boeser together (an option I think is a possibility if they elect to use Sutter to center and 'shelter' them).

Very exciting team to watch this coming year - will play a style of hockey that I love to see - up tempo, two way hockey - and could surprise people if they're remotely healthy.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't expect or even hope for an 80pt campaign from Pettersson, but I do think he'll be a key reason the team has a second scoring line this year and won't be as challenged to score as some people believe.  I don't think it's unrealistic to think they could have a couple young players in the 50 pt range replacing the Sedins production.  I'm sure Pettersson will aim higher - and could rival Boeser's rookie season, but I wouldn't be disappointed if his break-in replaces Daniel's production.

I don't think anyone pushes Sutter to wing - he's an elite defensive center and faceoff guy - you don't convert guys like him into wingers.  I agree Gaunce should make the team - as Sutter's LW.  If Gaunce emerges as a 3C it'll be because Sutter is at 2C - and Gaunce outcompetes the other group of natural centers that the team has.  I could also see Beagle at 3C and Schaller at 4.  Lots of possibilities.

I think I'd rather see them integrate Juolevi for a year than rush both he and Hughes onto the lineup...I'm not sure they have partners for both these guys as rookies.

I think Juolevi is the type of guy that revels in the opportunity to step up and will have a surprisingly solid season beside Tanev - will quell the doubts about him.

I think the Canucks will have one of, if not the best bottom six matchup/shutdown forward groups in the NHL - which should help both the blueline and a young top 6. 

I think one of the most interesting competitions will be between Leipsic and Baertschi for a top 6 LW position.  I think Pettersson will take the other.  I'm betting on Leipsic to win that competition.  My guess of moves would be Gagner most likely, Baertschi next likely.  Goldobin is a real wild card this year - really hard to predict what becomes of him in the lineup.

I prefer Granlund over Gagner and probably Baertschi as well - hope they find an opportune space for him - and don't really want to see him moved.  He's the most versatile of the three imo, and with the right linemates could/should have as much upside as they do.

I think Motte will show that he's good enough to command a spot in the bottom six - but being waiver ineligiblbe he may be assigned to be ready as first callup in even of an injury to a matchup forward.

Edler and Gudbranson are a rock of a pairing.  Tanev and Juolevi thrive.  Reasonable blueline depth.  Hutton will have to really leap forward to outcompete Pouliot imo. The blueline may not drive as much offense as we hope, but that will come with the maturation of Juolevi, Hughes, Pouliot and Stecher.   Stecher could have a very good season if the top 4 stays healthy and he's not forced to step up in the lineup as frequently.  Really like his chances of having a solid third season with a healthier blueline and strong bottom 6 forwards.

Virtanen - I believe will wind up the other top 6 RW (Boeser obviously one).   Virtanen's game is rounding out very weill - he'll be one of the biggest risers this year imo - and could make a very good winger fit for either line - whether it's size, speed, forechecking, hard areas, and defensive support on the opposing wing to Pettersson, or as a speed, counterpunch, transition threat alongside Horvat if the team elects to put Pettersson and Boeser together (an option I think is a possibility if they elect to use Sutter to center and 'shelter' them).

Very exciting team to watch this coming year - will play a style of hockey that I love to see - up tempo, two way hockey - and could surprise people if they're remotely healthy.

Great post ON.

when I came to CDC it was during a frustrating time for sure.  The team’s direction (to me) seemed blurred.  Now, reading posts like yours, supports what I’m seeing in our team’s direction.  JB is definitely building a very exciting future.  

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Would love to see all that. I agree on the Virt front. I think his gains last year have him posed to break out this year. He looked dominant at times down the stretch. 

Juolevi, Hughes, Pettersson, Gaudette make the team from the get-go

Horvat and Boeser represent the Canucks at the All-Star Game

Gaudette emerges as a legit 2C candidate

Pettersson appears in Sports highlights at least once a week

Dahlen and Demko join the team later in the season

Canucks end up with the number 1 pick and draft Jack Hughes

Tryamkin returns for next season

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think we'll be really lucky to even make the playoffs with such a young team. Our goal is to develop into a bonafide contender.

Losing a tough series early on would or will probably be part of our growing pains.

But we'll get there.

I mean, not to be some crazy optimist but crazier things have happened... just look at Chicago's turnaround after Toews and Kane were brought up.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Because it would mean that our kids truly took over and brought this team up out of the mire and back into competitiveness.  Particularly if the likes of Pettersson, Gaudette, and another forward (Dahlen, MacEwen, Jasek, etc.) play significant time and we have at least one new face on D (Hughes, Juolevi), they will have had to be the primary contributors along with Bo's line, and thereby the transition is complete and we are back on the up-swing.

That's what I hope to see too. To reiterate though, is it better for us to be eliminated in the first round vs. the conference final? What would be considered the most beneficial "experience" for the team, particularly the kids?

The Canucks will miss the Playoffs,

It will be close but,remembering a large offensive part of this team has just retired(THE SEDINS).We start to see the new identity of the team with new players being brought in to play and everybody is thrilled with our new found skill and speed very entertaining style of game.

The team finds a way to release some players at the right times(TDL)and we get an abundant amount of picks for the up coming "LOTTO DRAFT" that weare hosting and end up getting our very first 1st OA pick in Canuck history and set this team ablaze,on our way to our first Stanley Cup in the near future.

YES, THAT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME

I find some of the optimism and some of the pessimism equally fun to read.

I think the Canucks will be much harder to play against and are much better set up to withstand injuries as actually NHL talent depth now exists.   They are a couple of seasons still away from having their elite talent become what it needs to be in terms of challenging seriously for anything beyond just "wow, a playoff spot" but I predict this team will be improved sufficiently this year to a surprise to most who love to predict.

I am going to hold my fire on points predictions until I see who is actually on the team as I believe more moves are coming.   Plus, other teams are still in flux too.   I can see, however, the potential for Vancouver to be better than at least 10 if not 14 teams this year when I go through what other teams are going through.   

Petterson mans the second d li e center by Christmas. Wins the Calder with 82 pts

Jake figures out his game and by the end of the season is a true power forward playing on petersons wing. With 25 goals.

Boeser plays the whole season. Ends with 42 goals and 85 points

Bo gets 35 goals and 75 pts

Joulive and Hughes both are permanent on the team by the end 9f the season

Canucks miss the play offs but end up winning the draft lottery and drafting jack. 

Archived