The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Battles at camp

smithers joe

if we assume that baertschi, horvat, boeser, sutter, roussel, beagle, schaller, edler, tanev, gudbranson, and markstrom make this team, the battles should be, 

2nd line lw...granlund or gadjovich or dahlen

2nd line rw...goldobin or pettersson or ericksson.

3rd line lw... leipsic or palmu or archibald

3rd line c... gaudette or gaunce or macewen

3rd line rw,,,gagner or virtanen or mott or boucher

2nd pairing ld del zotto or juolevi or hughes

3rd pairing ld hutton or sautner or brisebois

3rd pairing rd... stecher or pouliot or chatfield or biega

back up goalie... nilsson or demko

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Markstrom

Nilssen

Edler Guddy

Tanev Hughes

MDZ Juiolevi 

Pouliot/Stecher/Hutton

Baer Bo Boeser

Pettersson Sutter Virtanen 

Roussel Granlund Errikson

Schaller Beagle Gaunce

Gagner/Goldy

Not sure that Virtanen has convinced anyone in the org that he belongs as a regular on the 2nd line yet.

Unless there are trades, my guess, to start the season. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter - Gagner

Roussel - Beagle - Pettersson

Schaller - Gaudette - Virtanen

Granlund

callups - Goldobin, Leipsic, Archibald, Dahlen

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto -Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot

callups - Biega, Sautner, Hughes, Juolevi

Markstrom

Nilsson

callup - Demko

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

if we assume that baertschi, horvat, boeser, sutter, roussel, beagle, schaller, edler, tanev, gudbranson, and markstrom make this team, the battles should be, 

Looking forward to training camp. Those are going to be some interesting battles for sure. 

Good idea for a thread Joe. There will be some interesting battles at camp for sure. 

Out of the ones ones you’ve listed I predict the following:

Some of the kids will be ready. Others could benefit from another year of development first.  But I’d love to be proven wrong and have more of the young prospects make the club. 

Excited for camp!

5 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Good idea for a thread Joe. There will be some interesting battles at camp for sure. 

Out of the ones ones you’ve listed I predict the following:

Some of the kids will be ready. Others could benefit from another year of development first.  But I’d love to be proven wrong and have more of the young prospects make the club. 

Excited for camp!

For me. 

Might not work but would love to see Granlund get a chance as second line centre with Peterson and Eriksson (skilled group - with the Sutter and Beagle lines, Green has the luxury of playing this line only offensive minutes and off-zone starts i.e. play protected minutes). Canucks need Eriksson to turn it around if for nothing else than to increase his trade value over the next couple years.

I also don't see how they can risk losing Goldy through waivers. I would waive Gagner unless the team decides to keep two forwards for the first part of the season. I think Gaunce will clear waivers and most other players don't need to clear. I feel Hughes should go to college for one more year.

Eriksson - Granlund - Pettersson

Roussel - Sutter - Virtanen

Schaller - Beagle - Leipsic

Goldy

callups - Gaunce, Gaudette, Archibald, Dahlen

Waive/callup - Gagner 

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto -Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot

callups - Biega, Sautner, Juolevi

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

The problem with these battles is that there are not enough roster spots for this set of battles to take place.

Barring trades, the following forwards are all waiver-eligible and are very likely to be on the roster.

1. Horvat

2. Baertschi

3. Sutter

4. Eriksson

5. Gagner

6. Beagle

7. Roussel

8. Schaller

9. Leipsic

10. Virtanen

There are two more waiver-eligible guys who the Canucks would prefer not to expose.

11. Granlund.

12. Goldobin

There are two waiver-exempt guys who I think are locks

13. Boeser

14. Pettersson

One more waiver-exempt guy has a shot, but either Granlund or Goldy would have to be exposed to waivers to make it happen:

15. Gaudette

And that's all she wrote. Last year the Canucks went with 13 forwards and 8 D's. Maybe this year they go with 14 forwards this year but, either way, there is no room at the Inn. 

Guys like Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Palmu, Mott or Boucher would have to play like Wayne Gretzky  to make the team and even then would probably start the season in Utica.  

Despite what the Canuck brass have said about "internal competition", the guys listed on the previous line have been frozen out of competition by the new acquisitions. Same with Archie, Gaunce and MacEwen.

Even if guys like Gagner or Eriksson or Beagle or Roussel get outplayed in camp, there is no way the Canucks would waive those guys.  In my opinion they would all clear waivers but it would be too embarassing for the Canucks to have those contracts in Utica. (The problem with "winning" bidding wars for players, as happened with all of these guys, is that it means, by definition, that no-one else is willing to pay what your are paying them -- at least to start the season. At the deadline you can sometimes trade a guy on a short-term contract, but that does not help make room on the roster to start the season, and these guys don't have short-term contracts anyway.)

26 minutes ago, JamesB said:

The problem with these battles is that there are not enough roster spots for this set of battles to take place.

Barring trades, the following forwards are all waiver-eligible and are very likely to be on the roster.

1. Horvat

2. Baertschi

3. Sutter

4. Eriksson

5. Gagner

6. Beagle

7. Roussel

8. Schaller

9. Leipsic

10. Virtanen

There are two more waiver-eligible guys who the Canucks would prefer not to expose.

11. Granlund.

12. Goldobin

There are two waiver-exempt guys who I think are locks

13. Boeser

14. Pettersson

One more waiver-exempt guy has a shot, but either Granlund or Goldy would have to be exposed to waivers to make it happen:

15. Gaudette

And that's all she wrote. Last year the Canucks went with 13 forwards and 8 D's. Maybe this year they go with 14 forwards this year but, either way, there is no room at the Inn. 

Guys like Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Palmu, Mott or Boucher would have to play like Wayne Gretzky  to make the team and even then would probably start the season in Utica.  

Despite what the Canuck brass have said about "internal competition", the guys listed on the previous line have been frozen out of competition by the new acquisitions. Same with Archie, Gaunce and MacEwen.

Even if guys like Gagner or Eriksson or Beagle or Roussel get outplayed in camp, there is no way the Canucks would waive those guys.  In my opinion they would all clear waivers but it would be too embarassing for the Canucks to have those contracts in Utica. (The problem with "winning" bidding wars for players, as happened with all of these guys, is that it means, by definition, that no-one else is willing to pay what your are paying them -- at least to start the season. At the deadline you can sometimes trade a guy on a short-term contract, but that does not help make room on the roster to start the season, and these guys don't have short-term contracts anyway.)

If Benning can be believed he’s not afraid to sit or send down veterans who are outplayed by the younger guys. I think he would rather endure the embarrassment of sending Gagner down than losing a young asset like Goldobin or Leipsic on waivers for nothing.

1 hour ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Might not work but would love to see Granlund get a chance as second line centre with Peterson and Eriksson (skilled group - with the Sutter and Beagle lines, Green has the luxury of playing this line only offensive minutes and off-zone starts i.e. play protected minutes). Canucks need Eriksson to turn it around if for nothing else than to increase his trade value over the next couple years.

I also don't see how they can risk losing Goldy through waivers. I would waive Gagner unless the team decides to keep two forwards for the first part of the season. I think Gaunce will clear waivers and most other players don't need to clear. I feel Hughes should go to college for one more year.

Eriksson - Granlund - Pettersson

Roussel - Sutter - Virtanen

Schaller - Beagle - Leipsic

Goldy

callups - Gaunce, Gaudette, Archibald, Dahlen

Waive/callup - Gagner 

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto -Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot

callups - Biega, Sautner, Juolevi

I would like to see Granlund be given a shot at second line centre as well. I would play him with Baertschi (who he centred in Abbotsford) and Boeser. Horvat could centre Pettersson and Eriksson. That would give the team two scoring lines and not force Sutter into an offensive role that he’s not suited for.

Our lw depth is weak so those will probably be aging players.

For Centers we will eventually have Horvat/Petterson/Gaudette/Sutter or Beagle

RW we will eventually have Boeser/Lind/Virtanen/Archibald

Current depth of LD (right handed d) is pretty weak as well.

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Good thread Joe.

Here is how I see it? (I personally don't see Granlund or Gadgy, nor Dahlen up at 2LW yet? I think we will play Pettersson on the top line, LW, RW on PP)

Pettersson Bo Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Ericsson                                                        Leipsic is key battle with Baer

Roussel Beagle Virtanen       

Schaller Granlund Gagner                                                       Goldobin & Gaunce key battles for 4th line or pine splinters

Edler Stecher                                                                           Hughes could play right away with Edler? Or Guddy??

MDZ Tanev

Juolevi Gudbranson

Pouliot Hutton                                                                           Biega

I really like that Roussel Beagle Jake line!!!  

Archived