The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Battles at camp

smithers joe

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Unless there are trades, my guess, to start the season. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter - Gagner

Roussel - Beagle - Pettersson

Schaller - Gaudette - Virtanen

Granlund

callups - Goldobin, Leipsic, Archibald, Dahlen

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto -Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot

callups - Biega, Sautner, Hughes, Juolevi

Markstrom

Nilsson

callup - Demko

This is the most realistic line up. Well done.

16 minutes ago, CrosbyGold said:

Our lw depth is weak so those will probably be aging players.

For Centers we will eventually have Horvat/Petterson/Gaudette/Sutter or Beagle

RW we will eventually have Boeser/Lind/Virtanen/Archibald

Current depth of LD (right handed d) is pretty weak as well.

Schaller & Roussel play LW.  Pettersson is also left handed. It will be natural to play himl at LW. As much as he played the hot side of the slot in the SHL & we will probably pull him to that side on the PP?  Jake can also play LW, Gaunce, Granlund, Baer, Leipsic. 

We have depth. We have a question as to who will grab a prime time scoring role!

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Even if guys like Gagner or Eriksson or Beagle or Roussel get outplayed in camp, there is no way the Canucks would waive those guys.  In my opinion they would all clear waivers but it would be too embarassing for the Canucks to have those contracts in Utica.

What?!  If those players are outplayed, they can easily be waived and demoted.   Why on earth would it be embarrassing to have developed a better player?   

Waivers and demotion is open to any player on the team not able to show they belong on the team.   Players get waived and demoted all the time in the NHL.  Claiming other teams waived players is not super common and the risk of losing a player to waivers is way overstated.

3 hours ago, xereau said:

Speaking of battles, I ate an enchilada for lunch at the pub and its currently having a nuclear war with the draft pint of beer I ordered with it.

3 hours ago, C.A. Nux said:

Hot snakes and bubble gut?

3 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Kung Pao Chicken and a glass of Whisky. 

I think I might win this. 

2 hours ago, C.A. Nux said:

Hot snakes and bubble gut for sure for you.

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

nuclear-bomb-sticker-4863.jpg

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Word to your moms

I came to drop bombs

Somebody needs to send Ben “Both Ends” Kuzma the link to this thread. I’m pretty sure he’s gonna want to interview several of these posters.

Great depth with so many options for Green.  I think the battles will continue throughout the season with a variety of lineup changes.

I would like to see this lineup given a try...

Baer Bo Boes

Rousell  Sutter Virtanen

Pettersson Beale Eriksson

Schaller Gaudette Granlund

Gagner

Edler Guddy

MDZ Tanev

Pouliot/Hutton  Stech

*If Hughes makes the team, he replaces MDZ and I think they carry 8dmen until they can decide which of the 3 LD will be moved.

41 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

I would like to see Granlund be given a shot at second line centre as well. I would play him with Baertschi (who he centred in Abbotsford) and Boeser. Horvat could centre Pettersson and Eriksson. That would give the team two scoring lines and not force Sutter into an offensive role that he’s not suited for.

Makes sense because Horvat and Eriksson could help shelter Pettersson as he adjusts to the NHL and Baer and Boeser could in a sense shelter Granlund who has some weaknesses at centre.

my choice to waive who have the most likely chance to clear waivers-- Gagner, Gaunce, Hutton, Biega

Gambling if we waive-- Goldy, Archie, 

Kids who may earn a spot-- OJ, Hughes, EP, Palmu (darkhorse candidate)

IR-- Leipsic-- get him to skate into the boards real hard at the end of training camp cause he's so fast

5 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I would like to see Granlund be given a shot at second line centre as well. I would play him with Baertschi (who he centred in Abbotsford) and Boeser. Horvat could centre Pettersson and Eriksson. That would give the team two scoring lines and not force Sutter into an offensive role that he’s not suited for.

Baer-Granlund hardly ever played together.  Ward wanted Baer with the puck and felt that a right shot C was best to get it to him quickly.  Over their whole time in the Calgary system Baer-Granlund only had 2 goals where both had a point.  

Btw Green kept on being asked why not Granlund with the Sedins and said that he didn't see Granlund as a top-6 scorer.  He said he talked to him about it.  

6 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Leipsic will not be a pressbox guy hes a solid on this team the chemistry with bo and brock last season will blossom further 

I feel the same, there's not much room for him but I think he's going to turn into a fan favourite if Green gives him the opportunity

14 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

If Benning can be believed he’s not afraid to sit or send down veterans who are outplayed by the younger guys. I think he would rather endure the embarrassment of sending Gagner down than losing a young asset like Goldobin or Leipsic on waivers for nothing.

First of all, everyone has their panties in a knot, JB is not going to wave Goldobin or Leipsic over Gagner. He will use the old trick of injury reserve Toronto uses it all the time.

There are so many players looking for spots, the one i am pulling for maybe the most is Goldobin. He looked like he really figured out something near the end of the year last year. This team could really use his skillset on the 2nd line or perhaps top line with Bo and Brock. I hope he has a good camp. Goldobin Gaudette Pettersson could be pretty deadly on the same line.

My Take on the Line up

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter - Pettersson 

Leipsic - Schaller Virtanen

Roussel Beagle - Archibald

Granlund ,Gagner 

callups - Goldobin, , Gaudette - , Dahlen  

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto -Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot

callups - Biega, Sautner, Hughes, Juolevi

Markstrom

Nilsson

callup - Demko

• -SN- changed the title to Battles at camp
8 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Leipsic will not be a pressbox guy hes a solid on this team the chemistry with bo and brock last season will blossom further 

1 hour ago, nzan said:

I feel the same, there's not much room for him but I think he's going to turn into a fan favourite if Green gives him the opportunity

I agree. He will be in our Top 6. 

20 hours ago, smithers joe said:

if we assume that baertschi, horvat, boeser, sutter, roussel, beagle, schaller, edler, tanev, gudbranson, and markstrom make this team, the battles should be, 

2nd line lw...granlund or gadjovich or dahlen

2nd line rw...goldobin or pettersson or ericksson.

3rd line lw... leipsic or palmu or archibald

3rd line c... gaudette or gaunce or macewen

3rd line rw,,,gagner or virtanen or mott or boucher

2nd pairing ld del zotto or juolevi or hughes

3rd pairing ld hutton or sautner or brisebois

3rd pairing rd... stecher or pouliot or chatfield or biega

back up goalie... nilsson or demko

You don't think Schaller has a shot at 3/4C?

Every time I try to play the lineup game I quit.  Maybe this time...

Baer-Bo-Brock

Leipsic-Granlund/Gagner-Pettersson

Roussel-Sutter-Eriksson

Schaller-Beagle-Virtanen

13/14th: Goldobin, Granlund/Gagner

AHL: Gaudette, Gaunce, Archibald, Boucher, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Lind, Mott, Palmu, McEwen

Edler-Gudbranson

Hutton-Tanev

MDZ-Stecher

7th: Pouliot

AHL: Hughes, Juolevi, Biega

Markstrom

Nielson

AHL: Demko

Comets would be absolutely stacked and we’d have a lot of options for call-ups.  

If Gaudette/Gaunce come in like gangbusters to camp then maybe Goldobin or Granlund get waived/traded or even Gagner gets bought out.  

On D, if Hughes or Juolevi make the team same goes for Hutton, Pouliot or MDZ.  

Barring someone trading for our scraps (unlikely) some guys are going to be put on waivers.  Oh well.  I do like the competition this camp is creating and that extends down to Utica to see who lands the first call ups when the inevitable injuries start to stack up!

6 hours ago, nzan said:

He isn't going to be given anything, he will earn it, and take it.

On 2018-07-07 at 4:55 PM, PONCHE said:

Not sure that Virtanen has convinced anyone in the org that he belongs as a regular on the 2nd line yet.

“Yet” is the key word.

i have a feeling that if Virtanen were to “start on the 4th line” (like Horvat), not only would he learn a nasty game by playing with Beagle and Roussel, he would probably be promoted up the lineup quite fast.

Archived