The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quebec heat wave kills 93 people

CBH1926

I can’t imagine being in such sweltering heat without the AC, also it seems that some hospitals in Quebec also lack AC.

As always, victims are elderly, sick and poor.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/07/18/89-deaths-now-linked-to-heat-wave-in-quebec.html

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/bring-your-own-fan-no-ac-in-patient-rooms-at-verdun-general-hospital

2 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

That is why living in BC is the best.. relatively calm winters and summers... but don't forget to Bring Cash. 

Obviously you have never left the lower mainland. The Okanagan is extremely hot. Osoyoos BC and Litton BC are the hottest places in Canada.

14 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I can’t imagine being in such sweltering heat without the AC, also it seems that some hospitals in Quebec also lack AC.

As always, victims are elderly, sick and poor.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-after-54-heat-wave-deaths-quebec-shifts-focus-to-learning-lessons-for/

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/bring-your-own-fan-no-ac-in-patient-rooms-at-verdun-general-hospital

This is devastating. 

RIP

How on earth can these hospitals not have AC? This is Canada ffs we must demand better.

So sad.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Obviously you have never left the lower mainland. The Okanagan is extremely hot. Osoyoos BC and Litton BC are the hottest places in Canada.

hahah yeah I was going to say. Kelowna here, definitely not calm summers

1 minute ago, drummer4now said:

I was only thinking of the lower mainland and Vancouver island.. 

Fair enough. Such a huge population down there It's easy to forget. I'm from Penticton and it's insanely hot. 40 plus degrees in the summer is normal.

This is such a sad story.

36 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is devastating. 

RIP

How on earth can these hospitals not have AC? This is Canada ffs we must demand better.

So sad.

I feel the same way, one hospital was telling patients to bring their own fans.

Don’t tell me that there is not enough money in federal or provincial budget to fix this problem.

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That is true, but those places don't get the humidity like Montreal.  Hot weather is far more tolerable without the humidity.

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That is true, but those places don't get the humidity like Montreal.  Hot weather is far more tolerable without the humidity.

Sure but I'm just pointing out the Okanagan also can be very dangerous for elderly and young kids. It's hard for people in the lower mainland to understand and I get it.

53 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is devastating. 

RIP

So sad.

Honest answer: $$. The infrequent need for AC may result in choosing not to purchase what would otherwise be viewed as a frivolous item when perhaps the same money is being saved dollar by dollar for high heating costs during long winters. 

I used to poo-poo AC, but when the temp hits 40+ even a healthy middle aged individual is able to find reprieve inside a slightly cooler home if the means are installed.

32 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Honest answer: $$. The infrequent need for AC may result in choosing not to purchase what would otherwise be viewed as a frivolous item when perhaps the same money is being saved dollar by dollar for high heating costs during long winters. 

I used to poo-poo AC, but when the temp hits 40+ even a healthy middle aged individual is able to find reprieve inside a slightly cooler home if the means are installed.

Absolutely.

But furthermore this Canada, all these hospitals and senior homes should be equipped with these things. It should be mandatory.

4 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I feel the same way, one hospital was telling patients to bring their own fans.

Don’t tell me that there is not enough money in federal or provincial budget to fix this problem.

that's what happens when you let all your mafia friends into the vault

16 hours ago, Green Building said:

Money will always be an issue when this governments sends billions overseas every year. That doesn't include the sheer number of tax dollars they waste through incompetence and corruption. The 400 million they spent at the G7 for 'girl's education' around the world could've bought many thousands of AC units. But you know, this is 2018. Who needs logic or reason anymore..

On 7/8/2018 at 12:47 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Money will always be an issue when this governments sends billions overseas every year. That doesn't include the sheer number of tax dollars they waste through incompetence and corruption. The 400 million they spent at the G7 for 'girl's education' around the world could've bought many thousands of AC units. But you know, this is 2018. Who needs logic or reason anymore..

G7 donation plays into getting votes and Canada’s world reputation.

Helping elderly and sick, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Do you think it is actually heat related deaths... or just a way Quebec government records sudden deaths... eg. any sudden death on a day over 30C is called heat related death.    Could Quebec has apartments with less AC then Toronto ?       I have a  MIL living in Quebec in an apartment and she is doing super good there. 

Just curious.

I have been in the California desert at  42 C . for repeated days with no heat related deaths ....

Seems very odd the numbers that Quebec is reporting....

41 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do you think it is actually heat related deaths... or just a way Quebec government records sudden deaths... eg. any sudden death on a day over 30C is called heat related death.    Could Quebec has apartments with less AC then Toronto ?       I have a  MIL living in Quebec in an apartment and she is doing super good there. 

Just curious.

I have been in the California desert at  42 C . for repeated days with no heat related deaths ....

Seems very odd the numbers that Quebec is reporting....

According to stats Canada only 53% of residents of Quebec have AC, for Ontario that number is 83%

I have been to Nevada, Arizona, Cali including Death Valley, it was 120-130 degrees but it’s dry heat.

Don’t get me wrong, it was hot but not unbearable.

We have lot of humidity where I live, in 1995 it got up to 106 degrees and humidity was terrible.

Over 700 people died, mostly elderly, people without AC, people that suffered from respiratory illnesses etc.

Anytime we get family from B.C to visit in the summer, they complain constantly how hot and humid our weather is.

4 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

According to stats Canada only 53% of residents of Quebec have AC, for Ontario that number is 83%

I have been to Nevada, Arizona, Cali including Death Valley, it was 120-130 degrees but it’s dry heat.

Don’t get me wrong, it was hot but not unbearable.

We have lot of humidity where I live, in 1995 it got up to 106 degrees and humidity was terrible.

Over 700 people died, mostly elderly, people without AC, people that suffered from respiratory illnesses etc.

Anytime we get family from B.C to visit in the summer, they complain constantly how hot and humid our weather is.

Agree about the humidity.  I was in Phoenix when it was 105, but it was a dry heat.  I would take 105 in Phoenix over 95 in Chicago humidity any day.  

When you get that "air you can wear" type of humidity, even 85 can be pretty bad.

(Farenheit, not Celsius....sorry, American habit)

Archived