The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]The Correct Defenceman to Trade

There has been a lot of discussion surrounding trading Tanev, even though our two highest drafted defencemen both play on the left side and our need is support on the right side.  Alex Edler played well last season but as you look down our depth chart, is he needed next year?  Is this the time that instead of the “Trade Tanev” chants we should start to envision trading Edler at the deadline? Edler becomes a free agent at the end of this coming year and perhaps this is the time when we seek his approval to trade him at the deadline to a contender. Then going into next season do we start with Hughes, Joulevi and Hutton on the left side?  I could envision our starting 6 looking something like this going into next year:

Hughes - Tanev

Joulevi - Stetcher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliet

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We should ask Edler for a list of teams at least. To look around and kick some tires.

Unfortunately, he's stated multiple times that he doesn't want to go anywhere else.  Maybe at the TDL, if the Canucks tell him that they're not re-signing him, he may change his mind.  

I agree. We would be foolish to trade Tanev, hes not flashy, hes not offensive, but he makes the team so much better. We would never get what Tan man is really worth because of his style of play.

Edler is the dman to trade, and being his contract year, I could finally see him waiving the no trade.

14 minutes ago, laddie said:

There has been a lot of discussion surrounding trading Tanev, even though our two highest drafted defencemen both play on the left side and our need is support on the right side.  Alex Edler played well last season but as you look down our depth chart, is he needed next year?  Is this the time that instead of the “Trade Tanev” chants we should start to envision trading Edler at the deadline? Edler becomes a free agent at the end of this coming year and perhaps this is the time when we seek his approval to trade him at the deadline to a contender. Then going into next season do we start with Hughes, Joulevi and Hutton on the left side?  I could envision our starting 6 looking something like this going into next year:

Hughes - Tanev

Joulevi - Stetcher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliet

Edler is a great trade option. He has been inconsistent and has shown a lack of desire to leave. 

He wont garner the return Tanev will, yet he has been the org’s best defender for a decade with all respect to Tanev and Hanhuis. 

I am not sure that he won’t re-sign here at the end of this year. 

I would be fine with that. To be honest I would rather move Tanev. He has a unique value with certain teams that potentially make his return much higher than Edler. 

Early in January of 2019 GM JB needs to go to Edler and either ask him who he is willing to waive for or say hey Eddie, if a team calls about you and I like the offer can you do the Canucks organization a solid and be willing to waive like fellow long time Canucks Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa? We have enjoyed having you, made you a wealthy man but go chase a cup Eddie. Oh and finally we wont be tendering you any kind of offer so you will have to find a new home come July so be proactive like Juice and try to re sign with the team that acquires you right away.

It's Del Zotto. He has no clauses in his contract and expires this year. 3 million is a bit of an over payment, but if the Canucks retain 50% on this year, suddenly he becomes VERY attractive for potential contenders at 1.5 million for a fairly offensive 3rd pairing d-man.

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

this

MDZ is gone as a UFA next summer, this is Huttons chance to impress at camp and try to make the roster. He will be hard pressed to beat out Hughes and or Juolevi.

Edler has some trade value, MDZ & Hutton don't. Just need to get this Swede to waive...

Just now, VanGnome said:

It's Del Zotto. He has no clauses in his contract and expires this year. 3 million is a bit of an over payment, but if the Canucks retain 50% on this year, suddenly he becomes VERY attractive for potential contenders at 1.5 million for a fairly offensive 3rd pairing d-man.

all but assured we will retain on MDZ to try and get a draft pick for him

15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

MDZ is gone as a UFA next summer, this is Huttons chance to impress at camp and try to make the roster. He will be hard pressed to beat out Hughes and or Juolevi.

Edler has some trade value, MDZ & Hutton don't. Just need to get this Swede to waive...

So who is playing Edler's mins?? B Hutt? Pouliot? Hughes:huh:. Edler plays the toughest mins on the team. You don't get a high pick or a big fish in an Edler trade so basically you only stand to loose trading him as we have no one to fill his shoes.

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So who is playing Edler's mins?? B Hutt? Pouliot? Hughes:huh:. Edler plays the toughest mins on the team. You don't get a high pick or a big fish in an Edler trade so basically you only stand to loose trading him as we have no one to fill his shoes.

I think management would wait until the TD to make a decision.  If the team is still playing well, they likely keep Edler, if not, he is asked to waive and will go to a contender.  They might even re-sign him in July.  MDZ will be gone by TDL or earlier if they have too many dmen (there will be a couple on holding pattern in Utica) and Hutton should be given a chance to prove that he can be an nhler.  Same with Pouliot, but maybe more rope.

1 hour ago, laddie said:

Hughes - Tanev

Joulevi - Stetcher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliet

Edler was a beast last year so I don't know if that should be done until after we see how Hughes and Juolevi do. MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot and Stecher are on notice. Someone needs to get to the next level.

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Moving MDZ @ 50% has value in at least a 3rd round pick. Moving out MDZ for a 3rd rounder, hell even a 4th rounder and inserting Hughes into the line up is better than any return that Edler could provide.

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Gudbranson
Pouliot

To start the year, once Juolevi has rehab'd and is ready for the show, the end of the year should look like the following, barring injury.

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Juolevi - Gudbranson
Hutton, Pouliot

The year after: (Edler walks as UFA)

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Stecher
Hutton - Gudbranson

I honestly can see Tanev signing a long term deal to stay in Vancouver after this year. He's only 28 and has at least 7 years left in him in the league, I'd give him a 5x5 deal next year. DFD's can stay pretty relevant in the league well into their 30's. Look at Hamhuis, who's actually more of a 2 way defenceman, but he could still play despite all the miles on his body last year at 35 while putting up career average numbers.

53 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

edler has provided years of valuable service

he sustained an injury that he continues to deal with as a result of his time here

when he re-upped here he resigned at a bit of a discount

and got the ntc clause

why can't his wishes just be respected ?
he's earned that respect

a classy organization does not go back on its word

let him serve out his contract if that is what he truly wants to do

10 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Moving MDZ @ 50% has value in at least a 3rd round pick. Moving out MDZ for a 3rd rounder, hell even a 4th rounder and inserting Hughes into the line up is better than any return that Edler could provide.

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Gudbranson
Pouliot

To start the year, once Juolevi has rehab'd and is ready for the show, the end of the year should look like the following, barring injury.

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Stecher
Juolevi - Gudbranson
Hutton, Pouliot

The year after: (Edler walks as UFA)

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Stecher
Hutton - Gudbranson

I honestly can see Tanev signing a long term deal to stay in Vancouver after this year. He's only 28 and has at least 7 years left in him in the league, I'd give him a 5x5 deal next year. DFD's can stay pretty relevant in the league well into their 30's. Look at Hamhuis, who's actually more of a 2 way defenceman, but he could still play despite all the miles on his body last year at 35 while putting up career average numbers.

I agree with all of what is written except for one thing...do you let Edler walk as a UFA without attempting to get some return for him at the deadline?  I don’t see asking him to waive at the deadline as being disrespectful but instead giving him the opportunity to compete for the cup.

1 hour ago, laddie said:

Hughes - Tanev

Joulevi - Stetcher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliet

That pairing has never really worked well.  IMHO, a mistake to put those two together again.  Nothing particularly against those two *individually*, they just don't well together.  Much like the old pairing of Edler-Bieksa.  Two otherwise solid legit 2nd pairing D but put together?  Gave our goalies nightmares lol.

7 minutes ago, laddie said:

I agree with all of what is written except for one thing...do you let Edler walk as a UFA without attempting to get some return for him at the deadline?  I don’t see asking him to waive at the deadline as being disrespectful but instead giving him the opportunity to compete for the cup.

At this stage of the game, I have zero expectations of Edler being willing to waive even if he's informed that he won't be re-signed the following year. Maybe he does, but either way I don't think teams will pony up for him, he's the caliber of defenceman you can wait to try and sign as a UFA, and if not can generally find someone else via UFA or trade. He's a Calvin De Haan type defenceman, if we're being perfectly honest about it.

Archived