The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]The Correct Defenceman to Trade

15 minutes ago, mpt said:

Its his right.  He’s dedicated his entire career to this organization, just like the Sedins.  He deserves the respect to do what he wants.  Burrows knew his time was up, Edler has 3-4 good seasons left.

Ah yeah, that's what I said.  Do you have an answer for my question though?

If Edler was willing to waive, his list would most likley include all the west coast teams, keeping him in the same time zone as his family.  Winnipeg could be an option as well.

Re-sign him in the off season and he can play out his days as a Canuck.

This would be the best case scenario for Edler, managent and fans, but I doubt it happens.

15 hours ago, laddie said:

There has been a lot of discussion surrounding trading Tanev, even though our two highest drafted defencemen both play on the left side and our need is support on the right side.  Alex Edler played well last season but as you look down our depth chart, is he needed next year?  Is this the time that instead of the “Trade Tanev” chants we should start to envision trading Edler at the deadline? Edler becomes a free agent at the end of this coming year and perhaps this is the time when we seek his approval to trade him at the deadline to a contender. Then going into next season do we start with Hughes, Joulevi and Hutton on the left side?  I could envision our starting 6 looking something like this going into next year:

Hughes - Tanev

Joulevi - Stetcher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliet

tenor.gif.845f3b044fd2c4a1c84f1e1afae58812.gif

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

sign a D with experience? Make a trade? There are options instead of retaining and keeping old core pieces around until they retire. 

So what are we suppose to do sign him to a career ending contract with a full NTC and then watch him retire a Canuck and never get any assets back for him?

I think Edler 50% retained at the TDL could get us something half decent, it all depends what kind of season he has obviously.

Edler is worth more than something half decent. What would be wrong with re signing him? Old core pieces? He is the only piece left. Lemme guess you're one of the guys pissed that Jb isn't icing the all teenage roster.  

37 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

tenor.gif.845f3b044fd2c4a1c84f1e1afae58812.gif

This is what I came into here to say. At the trade deadline and we’re out of it why not get huge hauls for both players? Give Edler a kick at the can if he wants it. He likely comes back if we want him. It’s like free picks and prospects to loan out Edler.

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

we asked him. He said no. Next post? Dead issue

Sedins are gone and he’s in the last year of his deal. If you tell him you’re not planning on re-signing him I’m sure he’d be open to a trade. He’d get a two month trial in a city to see if that’s where he’d like to sign in free agency.

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Sedins are gone and he’s in the last year of his deal. If you tell him you’re not planning on re-signing him I’m sure he’d be open to a trade. He’d get a two month trial in a city to see if that’s where he’d like to sign in free agency.

I realize he is the last year of his contract. He isnt open to a trade because he doesnt want to move. If we ask him again if he wants to move and he says no then what? ask him again in two weeks? a month? With all due respect when do you stop going to the dry well?

I think the bigger question and maybe the better discussion around Edler is would you re sign him  at the end of his contract or no? This will be the more realistic question.

The depth at D is coming...we drafted three good prospects in Hughes, Woo, and Juolevi. and we have some kids that may be able to be bottom pair in Utica. If Edler doesnt want to waive his NTC we cant force him to.

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I realize he is the last year of his contract. He isnt open to a trade because he doesnt want to move. If we ask him again if he wants to move and he says no then what? ask him again in two weeks? a month? With all due respect when do you stop going to the dry well?

I think the bigger question and maybe the better discussion around Edler is would you re sign him  at the end of his contract or no? This will be the more realistic question.

The depth at D is coming...we drafted three good prospects in Hughes, Woo, and Juolevi. and we have some kids that may be able to be bottom pair in Utica. If Edler doesnt want to waive his NTC we cant force him to.

I would re-sign him at the end of his contract. However to my point if he didn’t think the Canucks were interested in signing him why not move 4 months early? It’s not really forcing him to do anything. It’s just a humanly decision I feel anybody could make. If I knew I had to leave in the summer anyway I’d probably like the idea of a two month trial in another city to see if that could be my next home. You know instead going to free agency and potentially making a blind 5 year commitment. He can walk in free agency or he can be traded at the deadline give another city and cup run a try and see if that’s where he’d like to live.

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

I would re-sign him at the end of his contract. However to my point if he didn’t think the Canucks were interested in signing him why not move 4 months early? It’s not really forcing him to do anything. It’s just a humanly decision I feel anybody could make. If I knew I had to leave in the summer anyway I’d probably like the idea of a two month trial in another city to see if that could be my next home. You know instead going to free agency and potentially making a blind 5 year commitment. He can walk in free agency or he can be traded at the deadline give another city and cup run a try and see if that’s where he’d like to live.

Could he possible be thinking of heading back to Sweden? Instead of a new NHL city? I get your point. I just dont think thats his mind set. But i guess we will have to wait and see.

If he starts to think the way you say we might see that but he holds all the cards and can say no to anything.Cheers

11 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

That’s the whole problem, if he doesn’t want to win bad enough to go somewhere where he has a chance to do it. It’s not advisable to re-sign him, he’s much to old. And with his apparent no desire to win and guaranteed defensive f-ups.... I want him to have no chance at ruining and no where around our young defensemen that have a chance to be good.

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

That’s the whole problem, if he doesn’t want to win bad enough to go somewhere where he has a chance to do it. It’s not advisable to re-sign him, he’s much to old. And with his apparent no desire to win and guaranteed defensive f-ups.... I want him to have no chance at ruining and no where around our young defensemen that have a chance to be good.

this has been my assertion with any of the players that have  NMC. If you dont want to win a cup your attitude might not be the right fit for our dressing room.

Edler will resign.

Tanev would be a good choice to play with Hughes. If the kid has the puck a lot then Chris will get less injures. 

Hutton should be given  part of the season to see if he can regain his mojo.

By by Del Zotto. Waive or trade.

Biega can be waived.

I can take or leave Guddy. If he starts the year and looks like he has the injury bug behind him then I would trade him fast.

18 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Edler will resign.

Tanev would be a good choice to play with Hughes. If the kid has the puck a lot then Chris will get less injures. 

Hutton should be given  part of the season to see if he can regain his mojo.

By by Del Zotto. Waive or trade.

Biega can be waived.

I can take or leave Guddy. If he starts the year and looks like he has the injury bug behind him then I would trade him fast.

I’d ask Edler to wave his no-Trade and if he doesn’t, I’d put him on waivers. 

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Where is the (current) evidence for your assertion that he won't waive?

It's certainly a possibility, particularly towards the TDL in the last year of his current contract. 

That said, if I was a betting man, I'd wager a re-sign has far better odds than a waive and trade. Heck, him simply walking might have even or better odds over him waiving.

In order of likelihood IMO:

1-Re-sign

2-Walk

3-Waive & trade

4-Waive & trade + re-sign (which would be by far ideal, but sadly unlikely)

Archived