The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]The Correct Defenceman to Trade

21 hours ago, smithers joe said:

for me it is del zotto and hutton.

I'm still curious about Hutton.

I want to see how he responds to all the criticism he received last season. 

Hopefully, he uses it as motivation to improve his game and get back to what we saw from him in his first year.

I also agree on Del Zotto. For the most part, he was completely ineffective.

21 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Early in January of 2019 GM JB needs to go to Edler and either ask him who he is willing to waive for or say hey Eddie, if a team calls about you and I like the offer can you do the Canucks organization a solid and be willing to waive like fellow long time Canucks Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa? We have enjoyed having you, made you a wealthy man but go chase a cup Eddie. Oh and finally we wont be tendering you any kind of offer so you will have to find a new home come July so be proactive like Juice and try to re sign with the team that acquires you right away.

Nah I can see edler not waiving and just retire go back to Sweden and we get nothing out of it 

5 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Bolded #1 and bolded #2 seem to be opposites. You have a bright future in politics !

They aren't opposite.  One is an actual quote, the other is that the evidence seems to suggest.  Evidence is much more than someone's verbal quote; I guess you didn't know that.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So we're forced to re-sign him?

No of course not, but you can't trade him either if he doesn't want to.  He has earned his right to choose where he wants to play.

Tanev is one of the D to move.

We need more resilient, physical, durable, Gritty players that are tough to play against that have skill and a heavy game. 

A change in the Defensive culture is what is needed here. I like Tanev, but in my opinion he does not reflect what I envision what a "Canuck" is.

This maybe why so many Canuck fans that love Tanev, still advocate trading him. 

A change would be good!

39 minutes ago, Mr.hockey604 said:

Tanev is one of the D to move.

We need more resilient, physical, durable, Gritty players that are tough to play against that have skill and a heavy game. 

A change in the Defensive culture is what is needed here. I like Tanev, but in my opinion he does not reflect what I envision what a "Canuck" is.

This maybe why so many Canuck fans that love Tanev, still advocate trading him. 

A change would be good!

Because we didn't sign enough grit in free agency? While I agree our defence could use a make over, I personally feel we should be looking to add more skill. 

This convo doesnt even factor Tryamkin, who I'm hoping will indeed come back.

I think we have to wait and see what the competition for limited spots breeds.  Id love to have Hutton improve but hes a candidate to move out for sure. 

Second to him id say MDZ is odd man out.  He brings more hits than people realize but hes quite ordinary all around.

Id certainly rather keep Edler and have an opportunity to maybe re-sign him for another year.  I view his length of time as a Canuck an advantage when mentoring the young guys.

As far as Tanev goes, I see him as the safety net that will allow Hughes to do his thing in the o zone.

Does it have to be just one? 

I could be perfectly happy moving three or four.

Would like to see 1-2 moved before the season and OJ and or Hughes on the team.

As have said many times before, just a bad mix of players.  They are not necessarily all bad players, there are some good pieces, but they don't fit together.

The D that fit the mold of modern NHL D men Tanev, Stetcher, Hutton and MDZ all struggled or were injured.  In the case of MDZ was just over-used for what he brings.

Gudbranson had another bad year, we really need to find this guy the right partner given he is now signed.

Edler had one of his better years in recent memory, 

Pouliot was essentially a rookie and was an adventure at both ends of the ice.

D was small, not terribly tough to play against, didn't move pucks well and put up almost no offense.

To me the most disappointing part of this post season is that nothing has been done here. 

I never call for a GMs head but if our D looks like this at the end of next season I will be. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion]The Correct Defenceman to Trade

Archived